Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Mills & Mines

H



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


H mill, Dean Clough

Haley Hill Mills, Halifax
Aka Haley Hill Shed, Haley Hill Works, Haley Mills, Hanson's Mill, and Holroyd's Mill.

The Mill stood at the bottom of Haley Hill, at the junction with Mill Street.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

On 5th February 1919, the Mayor Howard Clay unveiled the Hanson's Mill Memorial in memory of those employees of William Hanson & Company who left the firm for military service.

The mills were later known as Holroyd's Mill.

The mills were badly damaged by fire in December 2003. In November 2007, a proposal was announced to build a supermarket on the site

Halifax Brewery Company
Brewers and maltsters established around 1897 by John Naylor at Warley Springs. The company controlled all Naylor's brewing interests. Naylor installed a brewer and a manager to take care of the running of the brewery.

In September 1897, they bought the Elephant & Castle, Hawksclough at auction for £3,525.

In 1914, the Company owned the Blue Ball, Norland.

In 1910, Naylor sold his brewery business to James Alderson & Company Limited.

The business later merged with Thomas Ramsden & Son Limited

Halifax Brush Works, Raglan Street


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Halifax Gas Works
In the early 19th century, many local firms – such as Holdsworth's and Crossley's – had their own gas production plants to light their mills and factories. A by-product of this was ammonia which was then used in the processing of their textiles.

In 20th December 1887, 3 gas explosions at the works caused some damage to property.

See William Carr, Halifax Gas Works Offices, Halifax Improvements Acts [1872], Halifax Tar Works, Thomas Holgate, Marsh Quarries, Southowram, Skircoat Road, Halifax and Stevenson & Utley

Halifax Glazed Brick Works


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Halifax Printing Works
Established in 1832. They were at 30/32 George Street, Halifax.

Owners and tenants have included

Halifax Stained Glass Works
Recorded in 1942, when an advertisement announced


Consult
Richard T. Titley
115 Pellon Lane, Halifax

Halifax Steam Brewery Limited

Halifax Tar Works
On 13th September 1905, Halifax Town Council resolved to sell the tar works for £6,000.

See Halifax Gas Works

Hall End Cabinet Works, Halifax
Owners and tenants have included

Hall Ing Mill, Todmorden
Aka Crescent Mill

Hand Carr Mill, Luddendenfoot
Aka Clough Mill.

Dated ESS 1640 – possibly for Edward Sutcliffe.

A mill, powered by Hand Carr Clough, is recorded on the south side of the Calder [1758].

There was a water wheel race with 2 wheels – an upper and a lower wheel – in a separate building.

Woollen spinning began here about 1795, when

were here.

It was later a worsted spinning mill [1800s].

It was later converted into 2 dwellings – Hand Carr Farm

Hanging Lee Mill, Ripponden
Aka Little Britain.

Built in 1788 as a wool scribbling mill. It was a 3-storey mill measuring 44 ft by 34 ft. The waterwheel measured 30 ft by 4 ft.

The mill burned down in 1865, and the present smaller building was erected by Thomas Wolstenholme & Company.

The machinery was taken out in 1897, and the mill was sold to the Sowerby Bridge United Clubs Brewery Company Limited.

In 1924, it became the Ripponden Free Brewery Company Limited. When the company was dissolved in the 1920s, the mill lay empty.

When the Ryburn reservoir was constructed, Wakefield Corporation bought the mill and converted it into a hostel for their workmen. It accommodated about 75 men. The hostel closed in June 1932.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Hangingroyd Dye Works, Hebden Bridge
Hangingroyd Lane.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

On 7th December 1887, a fire caused around £400 damage at the works

Hangingroyd Mill, Hebden Bridge
Dyeing and finishing mill built on Hebden Water.

A weaving shed was added [1871].


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Hanson Lane Cotton Mill, Halifax
Steam powered cotton-spinning mill designed in 1868-1869 by Roger Ives and built for Samuel Whitley and his business S. Whitley & Company.

As it was being constructed, the chimney of the new mill was shattered by lightning on 18th May 1869.

On 1st January 1912, a new clock was placed in the tower of the mill.

Demolished in 19??

See Hanson Lane Cotton Mill World War I Memorial

Hanson Lane Toffee Mills Halifax
Horne Street. Recorded in 1907

Owners and tenants have included

Hanson's Mill, Halifax
Haley Hill.

A popular name for Haley Hill Mills, Halifax.

See Hanson's Mill Memorial, Halifax

Hard Bed Pit, Siddal
Hard coal pit. Recorded in 1850.

See Soft Bed Pit, Siddal

Hare Mill, Todmorden
Burnley Road. Seven-storeyed steam-powered cotton-spinning mill built for the Hare Spinning Company Limited.

It was constructed of red Accrington brick, designed by Abraham Stott, and stood on a site opposite Centre Vale Park. Stott's design was similar to that used in Lancashire mills, and utilised rolled steel columns and reinforced concrete, and was unpopular when it was first proposed.

Construction, on what was Holme Meadow, started when the first sod was cut on 1st June 1907.

The mill was to contain around 84,000 spindles.

The final cost of the mill was £218,285. There were financial and board-room problems and the mill finally opened in August 1912. A second identical mill was proposed, but never built.

There was the logo of a white hare on the mill chimney.

There were claims of fraud in the Hare Spinning Company and the company was wound up in 1914. The mill was bought by William Hopwood for £131,450. He sold it to the newly-formed Mons Mill Company Limited and the mill was renamed Mons Mill. There was a later company Mons Mill (1919) Limited which took over the mill in 1919.

See Little Oldham, Todmorden

Hare Street Mills, Halifax


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

In 1968, the company added a completely new purpose-built factory

Hargreaves Foundry, Water Lane
Established by Ebenezer Hargreaves in 18??.

See E. Hargreaves & Company

Harley House Mill, Todmorden


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

See Harley House, Todmorden

Harrison Farm Quarry, Southowram
Recorded in 1777

Hartshead Colliery
Aka Soap House Pit. Coal mine at Hartshead.

Closed in 1933

Hartshead Moor Pit
Coal mine. Recorded in 1851.

The pit closed around 1928

Hathershelf Scout Delphs
Quarry shown as disused on maps of 1907

Haugh Shaw Brass Foundry
Moorfield Street, Halifax. Recorded in 1937

Haugh Shaw Mills, Halifax

Owners and tenants have included

  • Lawton's

See Moorfield Mill, Halifax

Haugh Stone Mill, Stansfield
Cotton mill. Built in 1796.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Hawksclough Mill, Hebden Royd
A fulling mill is mentioned in 1310.

James Maude built a mill here.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Hawksclough Mill, Mytholmroyd
Burnley Road, Hawksclough.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Hay's Mill, Mixenden
Aka Hays Mill, Hayes Mill.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

See Mixenden Mills

Hazel Grove Mill, Bogden
Aka Bogden Mill

Hazlehirst Stone Quarry, Ambler Thorn


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Hazlehurst Quarry, Shibden
Recorded in 1852, when Jonas Herd was killed here

Heath Works, Halifax
South Parade.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Hebble End Dye Works, Erringden
The works burned down on 27th October 1864.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Hebble End Mill, Erringden
In the early 1830s, the name of Stubbing Mill, Erringden was changed to Hebble End Mill

Hebble End Saw Mill, Erringden
Owners and tenants have included

Hebble End Works, Hebden Bridge


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

It was later known as Beehive Works

Hebble Lane Mill, Wheatley
Stood next to Wheatley Corn Mill.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Hebble Mill, Wheatley
Along the Hebble Brook.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

See John Garnett and Walter Garnett

Hebble Mills, Salterhebble
Bottoms. Aka Hebble Brook Mills.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

The mills were damaged by fire on 7th December 1913.

It has recently [2003] been converted to flats

Hebden Bridge Dye Works
There was a fire here on 15th March 1967

Hebden Bridge Electricity Works
New electricity works of Hebden Bridge District Council opened on 17th February 1904 at Valley Road, Hebden Bridge.

Electricity was brought to Crimsworth Dean for the first time in 1958

Hebden Bridge Gas Works
Aka Crow Nest Works

Hebden Bridge Mill
St George's Square. Aka Bridge Mill.

This was originally the mediæval manorial corn mill for the Manor of Wadsworth. It was built on Hebden Water about 1314 by Sir John de Thornhill. It is one of the oldest buildings in Hebden Bridge.

About 1760, it was converted to a textile mill.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Around 1820, it was converted to steam-power and the mill chimney – now listed – is still a landmark

In the 1970s, it was in danger of demolition.

It is now shops.

The waterwheel – 3½ ton and 14 ft in diameter – was used until the 1950s, and has been restored by the present owner.

Hebden Vale Iron Works, Hebden Bridge
Next to Foster Mill on Victoria Road. On Hebden Water.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Hebden Works, Hebden Bridge
Hangingroyd Lane. Aka Hangingroyd Shed, Hebden Bridge, Linden Mill.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

See Nutclough Estate

Hebden Works, Heptonstall

Hedge Top Quarry, Northowram
Hedge Top Lane.


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Hell Hole Quarry, Hebden Bridge
Blake Dean quarry where the stone for the reservoirs was cut. Hardcastle Crags Railway was built to carry stone from the quarry

Helliwell's Mill, Mytholmroyd

Helm Mills, Rastrick


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

  • Cellofoam (Yorkshire) Limited [1980]
 

Helvetia Works, Rastrick
Birds Royd.

Owners and tenants have included

Heptonstall Quarry
Now disused.

See Rabbit Rock, Heptonstall

Hexagon Iron Works, Halifax
Pellon Lane. Demolished when Burdock Way was built.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Hexagon Iron Works, Halifax
Haley Hill.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Higgin Mill, Luddendenfoot
Aka Higgin Chamber Cotton Mill. The mill stood next to Ing Head Mill at Higgin Chamber.

It has been suggested that the 2 mills were originally a single corn mill.


Owners and tenants of the 2 mills have included

 

In the 1840s, the mill was used for worsted spinning.

It burned down on 5th September 1856. It was never rebuilt. Cottages were built on the site

Higginbottom's Cotton Mill, Lee Bank
Recorded in 1855, when Henry Radcliffe started work here


Question: Does anyone know the name or anything more of this Mill?

 

High Level Brass Works, Halifax
Aka High Level Works. 268 Pellon Lane.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

See Hope Packing Case Works, Halifax

High Level Iron Works, Halifax
Exmoor Street / Parkinson Lane.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

High Level Mineral Water Works, Pellon
Pellon Lane.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

High Lumb Mill, Colden
Aka Upper Lumb Mill, Colden. One of the Lumb Mills, Heptonstall.

Built 1815.

The chimney is dated 1844.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

See Low Lumb Mill

Higher Eastwood Cotton Mill, Todmorden
Built in 1840

Higher Holme Foundry & Weaving Shed, Gauxholme

Highfield Coal Pit, Southowram
An early name for Pit Farm, Southowram.

Several accidents were recorded here in the 19th century

Highfield Mine, Southowram

Highley's Mill, Pellon Lane
Demolished in 1979

Highmoor Pit, Clifton
Coal mine. Recorded in 1851

Highroad Well Foundry
Sandhall Lane / Gibbet Street. Recorded in 1907

Highroad Well Works
Sandhall Lane / Gibbet Street. Machine tool works. Recorded in 1907

Hill Top Quarry, Hipperholme


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Hipperholme Quarries
Foldout looks at some of the quarries in Hipperholme, Hove Edge and Lightcliffe.

See Quarries

Hipperholme Steam Brewery
Another name for the Maltings, Hipperholme of Brear & Brown Limited

Hipperholme Tannery, Denholme Gate Road
Gardeners Square. Aka Gardner Square Tannery. In 1903, James Lee & Sons moved here from Tanhouse Hill.

The building stood opposite Hipperholme Grammar School.

It is now a pottery store, Hipperpottery.

Lee's Buildings were built for the workers at the tannery

Hipperholme Tannery, Tanhouse Hill
Stood at the top of Tanhouse Hill at the junction with the Leeds-Halifax Road. The tannery gave its name to the hill.

Tanning is reported on here from the mid / late 1700s.

In 1822, Robert Taylor had open tan pits there with a horse gin grinding the tree bark needed for the tanning process.

In 1867 James Lee bought Tan House Croft and built the Tannery building.

They employed 60 workers [1894].

The Lee family ran the business until 1903 when they sold the tannery to Brookes and moved their operations to Denholmegate Road.

The building was later put to various uses and by late 1980s it became a camping centre, selling tents and equipment. In 1990, it burned down. The present building was erected in 1992/3

Hipperholme Works
A name for the brickworks of Allen & Son (Halifax) Limited in the Walterclough Valley in 1930s

Hole Bottom Mill, Stansfield
A water-powered cotton spinning mill was built at Meadow Bottom in 1790.

It was a 2-storey/3-storey mill measuring 36 ft by 108 ft.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

In February 1833 a young worker at the mill was badly injured at the mill.

The mill fell into disuse.

It was destroyed by fire On 1st February 1918.

Oak Hill, Todmorden stands on the site

Hole Bottom Mill, Wainstalls
Square Mill, Wainstalls was known as Hole Bottom Mill [1852, 1871]

Hollings Mill, Ripponden
Built around 1788 by Elkanah Hoyle. In 1790, it was owned by John Hoyle. It was enlarged in 1792. Elkanah Hoyle took over the mill.


Question: The dates for the various Hoyle occupancies do not fit in with the individuals' dates. Any help in resolving these – and the various Elkanahs – would be appreciated

 

The mill was demolished and Ripponden Commercial Mills built on the site

Hollins Bottom Mill, Walsden
Hollins Road

Hollins Estate Quarry, Sowerby Bridge
Hollins Mill Lane.


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

A man was killed at the quarry on 28th November 1902

Hollins Grove Quarry


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Hollins Hey Mine, Elland

Hollins Mill, Sowerby Bridge
Owned by the Waterhouse family.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

2 women were killed in an accident on 4th September 1843, when it was occupied by James Clay.

It was damaged by fire on 19th November 1864, when it was occupied by James Clay & Sons Limited

See Hollins Dam, Sowerby Bridge

Hollins Mill, Walsden
Steam powered cotton mill built around 1857. It was used by Abraham Ormerod & Brothers.

In December 1858, mule spinners went on strike at the mill. They had previously worked by the day, but had changed to piece work and had failed to come to satisfactory terms with Ormerod's.

In 1904, it was bought by Caleb Hoyle In 1929, Joshua Hoyle sold the mill.

The mill had 4 storeys, 18 bays with a single storey weaving shed. The mill had 30,000 spindles.

Some buildings were demolished in 19?? and others are used by light industry

Hollins Tannery, Sowerby Bridge
Hollins Lane.


Owners and tenants of the tannery have included

 

Hollins Tool Works, Sowerby Bridge
Hollins Lane.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

The works were demolished in 2002. Housing now stands on the site

Hollins Works, Hebden Bridge
Bond Street / Hangingroyd Lane.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Holly Royd Quarry, Southowram
Owners and tenants have included Joseph Thompson & Son [1905]

Hollyns Mill, Greetland
Or Hollings Mill.

Rochdale Road.

Worsted mill.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The building is to be converted into flats [2006].

The mill was demolished [2009].

A warehouse stands on the opposite side of the road. This is now a private house.

Holme End Bobbin Mill, Cragg Vale
Bobbin factory

Holme End Dye Works, Cragg Vale
Hippens End.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Holme House Bridge Mill, Booth
Originally a fulling mill on the Luddenden Brook.

From 1769, it was owned by the Ogden family.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The mill closed in 1941. When the mill was demolished, the waterwheel is said to have been taken to Shibden Hall

Holme House Mill, Halifax

Holme House Mill, Warley
Wade Wood.

Aka Jowler Mill, Luddenden.

Built around 1812 by Jonathan Bracken for his daughter Agnes.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

In 1933, the engine was converted to a turbine.

The Mill used water fed from the Cold Edge Dams by a goit which ran along the hillside.

See Cold Edge Dam Company and Grotto Terrace, Warley

Holme Iron Works, Sowerby Bridge
The Holmes.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Holme Mill, Sowerby Bridge
Hollins Mill Lane.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The mill was famous for its leaning chimney

Holme Mill, Stainland
Aka Beeston Mill, Holywell Green.

The mill was owned by John Shaw & Sons [1875]. It was originally water-powered, but was converted to steam-power when the water supply ran short.

On Thursday, 23rd May 1895 5 women were killed in an explosion at the mill.

See The Stainland Boiler Explosion

Holme Mill, Stansfield
Built 1795.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The mill was demolished to make way for the railway

Holme Mills, Stainland
Doghouse Lane.

Recorded in 1914, when cotton spinners Messrs Bottomley's were here


Question: Can anyone identify the Mill or the Bottomleys here?

 

Holme Royd Mills, Luddendenfoot
Built in 1924 by H. Hellewell. Next to Fairlea Mills.

There was a disastrous fire here on 14th November 1935.

It closed in 1972 and was demolished.

The site is now [2009] occupied by a scrap yard and Fairlea Motors

Holmeroyd Mill, Brighouse
Bradford Road (east side).

Stood opposite Prospect Dye Works. Built after 1910

Holmfield Brick Works
Holdsworth Road.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Holmfield Mills, Ovenden
Mills evolved here because of the beck which now runs beneath the site.

See Walter Brenard and Shay Lane Mill

Holroyd's Mill, Dean Clough
An earlier name for Haley Hill Mills.

See Dean Clough Mill

Holroyds Mill, Holywell Green
Built for John Shaw & Sons. The nearby Springwood Terrace was built for their workers. The mill was demolished in the 1970s

Holt's Mill, Eastwood
Hebden Bridge. Aka Martin Holt's Mill. Built about 1895

Holybank Mill, Greetland
[2006] Proposal to build houses on the site

Holywell Mills, Holywell Green


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Hoo Hole Dye Works, Cragg Vale
Cragg Road.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

There was a fire here on 5th November 1953

Hoo Hole Mill, Mytholmroyd
19th century mill on Elphin Brook. There was a corn mill and a fulling mill here. The waterwheel was 26 ft in diameter and 8 ft wide.

This was a part of the Hoo Hole estate and one of the Cragg mills.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Hope Hall Mills, Halifax
Union Street South.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Hope Iron Works, Pellon
Arundel Street.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Hope Mill, Stansfield
Vale Street. Cotton spinning mill built in 1855. Used for cotton weaving [1879]. Partly demolished

Hope Mill, Todmorden
Hope Street. Steam-powered cotton-spinning mill built in 1855.

It was used as a warp sizing factory – Hope Mill Size Works.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Some of the buildings were demolished in 19??.

In 2005, there were proposals to build shops and houses on the site.

In 2007, a proposal to build over 100 homes on the site was approved

Hope Packing Case Works, Halifax
Aka Hope Leather Factory. 268 Pellon Lane.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

See High Level Works, Halifax

Hope Street Mills, Halifax
See Steam Confectionery Works, Halifax

Horley Green Fire Clay & Sanitary Tube Works
Recorded in 1907.

Oates & Green Limited were here [1915]

Horley Green Mills, Halifax

Owners and tenants have included

Recorded in 1967

Horse Mill, Halifax

Horsfall Mill, Todmorden

Hough Mills, Northowram
Bradford Road. A weaving mill is recorded here [1933]

Houghstones Mill, Stansfield
Aka Ratcha.

Built by John Helliwell on his own land [1795].

This was originally a small water-powered, cotton carding and spinning mill.

Owners and tenants have included

Lawrence Wilson began business here.

It was later owned by the Hartley Brothers of Meadow-bottom.

See Houghstones Farm, Stansfield

Hove Edge Quarry
Owners and tenants have included

Howcans Brick Works, Holmfield
Aka Howcans Fine Clay Works, Howcans Earthenware Works. Built by the Halliday family.

On 24th August 1856, a former employee John Howarth, set fire to hay and a barn at the works.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

See Holmfield Railway Station, Howcans Pottery, Ovenden and Howcans

Howcans Pottery, Ovenden
Aka Pot-Howcans.

Established by the Halliday family – when they moved from Pule Hill Pottery – around 1775. Members of the firm included Samuel Halliday.

They produced a range of functional objects in slip-ware – such as cups & mugs, fruit stands, loving cups, money boxes, plaques, plate baskets, tea caddies, teapots, and tobacco boxes.

The pottery stayed with the Halliday family until it closed in 1889. It continued making fire-bricks and retorts.

The firm became George & William Halliday Limited

In February 1853, Robert Sutcliffe was killed by a fall of clay at the works.

There were several disputes at the pottery – see John Halliday, John Michael Taylor and Robert Taylor.

The last owner of the pottery was William Halliday.

See John Morton

Hoyle Bottom Mill, Wainstalls
Aka Square Mill, Wainstalls

Hoyle House Mill, Warley


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

In 1810, it was converted into cottages

Hudson's Mill, Heptonstall
Colden valley. A manorial corn mill on Colden Water was recorded here in 1353. In 1571, Thomas Hudson bequeathed a fulling mill here to his son. The mill was rebuilt in 1738. Around 1786, it was used as a cotton mill. This was one of the first mills in the district.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

It is now a private house

Hunter Hill Quarries, Wainstalls
Withens Road.


Owners and tenants of the quarries have included

  • Wood Brothers [1905]
  • Jagger & Sons [1905]
 

Hutch Royd Mill, Ripponden
Aka Bogden Mill, Rishworth


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


search tips advanced search
search engine by freefind


© Malcolm Bull 2017 / calderdale@aol.com
Revised 18:54 on 9th September 2017 / m408_h / 73