Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Mills & Mines

G



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


G mill, Dean Clough

Gannex Mill, Elland
See Broad Lea Mill and Marshfield Mill

Ganny Mill, Brighouse
Silk mill which stood between the Calder and Elland Road.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Gaol Lane Bobbin Works, Halifax


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Gaol Lane Mills, Halifax
Owners and tenants have included Richard Hoyle [1840s]

Gaol Lane Picker Works, Halifax

Recorded around 1913, when Willie Turner worked here

Garden Street Mill, Halifax
Garden Street North, New Bank. Aka New Bank Mills.

Cotton mill built about 1833 for John Haigh & Brothers.

It is the second oldest mill in Halifax.

Owners and tenants have included

The buildings were damaged by fire in 1996.

In 2003, it was converted into flats

Gardner Square Tannery, Hipperholme
A name for Hipperholme Tannery, Denholme Gate Road [1933]

Garfield Brass Works, Halifax


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Garnett's Mill, Midgley
Run by Nathaniel Garnett. The Plug Rioters disabled the mill in August 1842

Gatebottom Mill, Todmorden


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Gatehead Mill, Stainland
/ West Vale. 19th century mill on the Black Brook.

There was a paper mill here [1758]

Matthew Maude and Alfred Maude had woollen manufacturing business here.

The building is in a parlous condition

Gates End Mill, Cragg Vale

Gaubert Hall Quarry, Lightcliffe
Stone quarry at Gaubert Hall, Lightcliffe.

Owners and tenants have included

Gauxholme Cotton Mill
Gauxholme Place, Walsden

Owners and tenants have included

The mill partly burnt down in and in 1871.

The mill was demolished in 1876.

See Gauxholme Mill

Gauxholme Iron Works
Walsden

Gauxholme Mill, Walsden
Gauxholme Fold. A corn mill and fulling mill is mentioned in 1310.

In 183?, the mill was demolished and rebuilt a short distance away to accommodate the viaduct to carry the new railway.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Dugdale & Lello were occupying Gauxholme Mill when it was destroyed by fire on 15th December 1899. The cause of the outbreak was unknown. The mill was manufacturing webbing straps for the cotton industry at the time, and it has been said that a member of the Cockcroft family – who were involved in a competitive business of making leather straps – set the fire to the mill and then escaped to America, possibly under the name Cocroft. The fire caused an estimated £3,000 damage, having gutted the building and destroying an unusually large and valuable stock. The mill was not insured and was never rebuilt.

Gauxholme Picker Works
Built on the site of Albert Boiler Works, Gauxholme around 1875.

See Picker

Gemland Mill, Wadsworth

George Street Mills, Brighouse


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

On 5th July 1940, when the mill was used only for storage by Universal Stores, Manchester, the building was destroyed by fire

Gerrard Street Works, Halifax


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Gibson Mill, Hardcastle Crags
Originally called Lord Holme Mill. Cotton spinning mill at Hardcastle Crags. Originally water-powered by Hebden Water. The mill was built and used by Abraham Gibson (2) in 1800-1803.


Subsequent owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Around 1861, it was steam powered and a weaving shed was added.

Production at the mill ceased around 1894. In 1902, the Gibson family converted the building and leased it for use as the Lord Holme Restaurant, an eating house, a dance hall, a roller-skating arena, and a boy scout centre, finally closing in the 1970s. Abraham Gibson (5) took great care of the site until his death.

In 1951, the Crags, Gibson Mill and Greenwood Lee were given to the National Trust.

In 1971, the Manchester University Settlement proposed to turn the mill into a holiday centre for children, but this never came about.

It is still in existence.

The mill, bridge and associated buildings are listed.

See Toilets at Gibson Mill, Hardcastle Crags, Gibson Mill Toll Gate, Billy Holt, Mill, Murder & Railway and Nicholas Nickleby

Gig Mill, Ripponden

See Beestonhirst Mill, Ripponden, Gig mills and Gig Mill Spinning Company

Giles Quarry, Lightcliffe
Or Giles House Quarry, Lightcliffe.


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Gledhill's Quarry, Rastrick
Lower Edge. Established by Sam Gledhill

Glen Dye Works, Todmorden
Aka Lishman's Dye Works. The building was formerly Pudsey Mill, Stansfield.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

On 14th June 1900, the works were damaged by fire

Glen Works, Todmorden
Pudsey Road.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

In May 2008, there was a proposal to build 28 houses on the site

Globe Mills, Halifax
Wade Street / Winding Road.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Globe Sanitary Works, Halifax
Adelaide Street.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Globe Works, Halifax
Wade Street / Well Lane.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Globe Works, Halifax
North Parade / St James's Road.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Globe Works, Hebden Bridge
Market Street.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Globe Works, Sowerby Bridge
Victoria Road.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Godley Bridge Mill, Shibden


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The mill burned down and was not rebuilt

Gooder Lane Iron Works, Rastrick Common


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Gorpley Mill, Todmorden
Bacup Road, Walsden.

Water-powered mill – on the Midgelden Beck – built in 1805 as a fulling and woollen perching mill. It was popularly known as the Greasy Factory.

Later, it was used for cotton spinning. Steam-power was introduced in 1838.

Owners and tenants have included Abraham Ormerod's [1824 to 1870] and Peter Ormerod. The mill was unoccupied until it was demolished in 1894

Gosport Mills, Stainland
Gosport Lane.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

There were fires at the mill on 19th May 1863, 11th March 1873, and 1928

The property was divided into Gosport Mills and Gosport Old Mills.

The mills were demolished.

Houses – Grange Close – were built on the site [1975]

Grange Foundry, Mytholmroyd

Owners and tenants have included

Grange Hall Quarry, Brighouse


Owners and tenants have included

 

On 19th February 1877, Patrick Kelly died after being injured as he was hoisting a stone at the quarry

Grange Mill, Mytholmroyd
Burnley Road.

Aka Grange Iron Works.

5-storey mill.

The name of Mytholmroyd Mill was changed in 1836 when William Horsfall occupied and rebuilt the mill.

On 13th September 1892, the mill was occupied by William Horsfall & Sons when it was destroyed by fire.

The remaining 165 ft tall chimney was demolished on 16th July 1898.

In the 1890s, Thomas Pickles bought the site and set up an iron foundry.

Thomas Henry Pickles was here in 1905.

The site was later occupied by Broadbent Machine Tools Limited.

A medical centre now stands on the site

Granny Hall Quarry, Brighouse
Opened in 1874.


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Grantham Quarry, Rastrick


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Grantham Road Iron Works, Boothtown


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Greave Mill, Stainland

Greaves Mill, Holywell Green


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The mill has been was demolished

Greaveside Mill, Soyland
A later name for the cotton mill at Tom Hole Mill, Soyland. The mill was later used for woollen manufacture.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Green Hill Mill, Mytholmroyd
Woollen mill. Built by brothers Squire and Joshua Ratcliffe for Ratcliffe Brothers Limited

Green Lane Quarry, Northowram
Paddock.


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Green Mount Dye Works, Halifax
Pellon Lane.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

2 men were killed when a boiler exploded on 2nd April 1841

Green Mount Iron Works, Halifax
Thompson Street.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Green Mount Joinery Works, Halifax
Owners and tenants have included William Henry Gaines [1912]

Green's Quarry, Southowram
Marsh.

On 27th July 1828, 3 petrified horns were found here in a bed of stone 7½ ft thick. They were about 2 ft long and 9 inches in circumference at the thickest part. When found, they were soft and became hard on exposure to the air

Greenhouse Quarry, Blackshawhead


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Greenhurst Hey Mill, Stansfield
On Wickenberry Clough. Built 1797 by Michael Helliwell.

A small water-powered wool carding and drawing factory established by the Helliwell family of Todmorden, Michael Helliwell, John Helliwell, and Thomas Helliwell

The mill became a private house

Greenroyd Quarry, Mount Tabor
Owners and tenants have included

  • Thomas Jagger [1896]

Greenup's Mill, Sowerby Bridge
Mill built in 1793 for William Greenup.

This is the earliest known woollen mill in Yorkshire which carried out the complete processing of the material.

In 1791, Joseph Crowther worked for Greenup's, as reported in Crabtree's Tour of Calder Dale.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

It was destroyed by fire on 17th May 1867.

It was demolished in 1990

Greenwood Lee Mill, Heptonstall

Greenwood Mill, Lumbutts
Todmorden. In 1845, John Fielden bought the mill from Uttley and Greenwood

Greenwood's Mill, Wheatley
Cotton and woollen mill belonging to James Greenwood.

On 6th January 1830, the mill was destroyed by fire. It employed more than 400 workmen at the time

Greetland Dye Works
Ellistones.

Built on the Black Brook.

A branch of the Bradford Dyers' Association.

Recorded on 16th November 1894 when the workers of Hawkesley, Wild & Company were on strike.

Owners and tenants have included

 

See Ellistones Mill, Elland and George William Hawkesley

Greetland Sewage Works
Built at a cost of £4,000. Opened on 27th May 1907 by John Edward Binns

Grid Works, Elland Road


Owners and tenants have included

 

Grimscar Brickworks
Established by Edward Kitson around 1868. It was managed by Titus Kitson and his family. It was demolished in 1890

Grove Brewery, Brearley
Brewery established by George Bedford at the Grove Inn around 1859.

Bedford's grandson George Bedford Whitaker was running the brewery [1905].

The brewery owned several local pubs including Shoulder of Mutton, Hebden Bridge, Fox & Goose, Hebden Bridge [1859], White Lion, Heptonstall, General Rawdon, Luddendenfoot, Delvers' Arms, Midgley, Bird-i-th-Hand, Warland, Poultry Dealers Arms, Todmorden, and Town Hall, Sowerby Bridge.

The brewery used a gas engine supplied by the Campbell Gas Engine Company Limited.

An 1885 advertisement announced

The Electric Light has just been introduced on the premises – the only brewery in the neighbourhood at which it has been applied, and giving an opportunity of selecting beer under the severest test

After his death, his widow, Grace, continued the family business at Grove House, Brearley as a brewer & maltster. His son, George, was later proprietor of the brewery.

In 1905, the brewery and its houses were sold to Whitaker's.

It closed in 1906.

The Brewery is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two.

See Harvey & Company

Grove Logwood Grinding Mill, Halifax
Skircoat.

Recorded in November 1881, when the partnership of George Powell, Mary Eliza Halliday, Martha Elizabeth Fairlamb, Leonard Storey, Elizabeth Gibbs, and Eliza Sykes - logwood grinders- was dissolved

Grove Mill, Shelf
Built in 1822 by Edward Lister.


Subsequent owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

It closed as a textile mill in 1900

Grove Mills, Brighouse
Grove Street / Wakefield Road.

There is a datestone 1864.

In 1860, 40 lots of land for the erection of mill premises was offered for sale by the Armytage family.

Grove Mills was one of the first to be built.

The mills were damaged by fire on 4th January 1880, and on 17th March 1909.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

The mill is now [2017] used by a number of small businesses

Grove Mills, Elland
Cotton and woollen mill. In the early 19th century, this, Kiln End Mills and Marshall Hall Mills were the only woollen mills in Elland.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

There was a disastrous fire here in 1864 during the tenancy of Ormerod & Sugden

Grove Mills, Halifax
Swan Bank Lane.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Grove Mills, Ovenden
Grove Mill Lane. A waterwheel was used to move water from a nearby stream to the dam to power the mill. Peter Bold had a power-loom here in the early 19th century.

On 3rd December 1832, there are reports of the mill being blown down.

The mills were destroyed by fire on 11th October 1881, and again on 20th July 1905.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

See Grove Mill Company, Ovenden

Grove Ware Mills, Halifax
Shaw Hill.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Guteroyd Mill, Todmorden
Langfield. Built 17??.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

It is now a private house


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z



© Malcolm Bull 2017 / calderdale@aol.com
Revised 16:03 on 29th November 2017 / m408_g / 55