Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Mills & Mines

C



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


C mill, Dean Clough

C. W. S Union Flour Mills, Sowerby Bridge
Walton Street.

Built in 1859. The mills had their own railway sidings at Sowerby Bridge Station.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

The mills burned down in 1965 and the buildings were demolished shortly afterwards

Cabinet Works, Brighouse
Mill Lane. The joiner's shop of the Brighouse District Industrial Society Limited was on the first floor of the Abattoir at The Lees around 1900

Calder Bank Mill, Elland
Saddleworth Road.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Calder Bank Mills, Rastrick
Birds Royd Lane.

The mill had 4 storeys at one end and 5 at the other.

The little yard/slope to the mill is Snake Hill.

On 29th January 1909, the mill – then occupied by J. Cheetham & Sons Limited – was destroyed by fire which started in the drying room.

In 19??, David Hepworth bought the mill and used it for his businesses Stovit & Hepworth Domestics.

In 1977, the mill was destroyed in a fire described as Brighouse's biggest bonfire and the great Brighouse fire of 1977.

The property was sold to Richard Binks of Mill Royd Mill.

The Hepworth family do still [2015] own the properties on Princess Street, the next yard across

Calder Bridge Mill, Brighouse
Bought by Richard Kershaw for his silk spinning. It was later used for cotton spinning. In 1873, it was damaged by fire. In 1904, it was occupied by Hardman's and was destroyed by fire

Calder Carpet Works, Brighouse
Recorded in 1874, when the works were sold at auction to Messrs Swallow of Heckmondwike for £1,200.

Owners and tenants have included

Calder Chemical Works, Sowerby Bridge


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

The site became a scrap yard. The site was cleared in 2001 and is now a housing development

Calder Dale Iron Works, Sowerby Bridge
Walton Street.

In 1890, the works comprised a number of large 2 and 3-storey buildings and covered between 5 and 6 acres.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Calder Dale Works, Norland


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Calder Dye Works, Rastrick
Birds Royd Lane. Built in 18??


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

The works were served by a reservoir in the grounds of Birds Royd House

Calder Fire Clay Works, Elland
Elland Lane, just below Strangstry Wood.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

On 24th October 1889, Rowland Holroyd was killed in a roof fall at the works

Calder House Mills, Mytholmroyd
Occupied by Ratcliffe Brothers Limited when it was damaged by fire on 16th November 1964

Calder Mill, Elland

Calder Mill, Hebden Bridge
Stubbing Holme. Aka Co-op Mill. A steam-powered cotton mill built in 1863.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

In 1906, it was affected by the fustian weavers' strike.

It was badly damaged by fire on 3rd November 1964

Calder Mine, Southowram

Calder Vale Mill, Cornholme
Pudsey Road.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Calder Vale Mills, Rastrick
Woollen manufacturing is recorded here in 1867.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

In 1894, Fairburns bought the mill and combined it with Victoria Works, Rastrick

Calder Vale Works, Cornholme
Pudsey Road.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Calder Works, Elland
Aka Castle Mills

Calder Works, Sowerby Bridge
Walker Lane.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Calderdale Brewery
Mearclough, Sowerby Bridge.


Owners and tenants of the brewery have included

 

Calderdale Iron Works
Sowerby Bridge.

Established by Thomas Berry & Sons around 1831

Calderside Dye Works, Todmorden

Calderside Mill, Hebden Bridge
Near Whitely Arches. Built as a cotton mill in 1824 the building was subsequently converted into a dye works. The 5-storey building was increased by 2 storeys.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The 300 ft high chimney of 1842 was said to be the tallest in the district

In the 1960s, the mill was demolished and 2 houses built on the site.

[2006] The site is to be cleared and 8 new houses built.

See Whitely Arches, Mytholm

Caldervale Mill, Todmorden

Caledonia Wire Mills
Charlestown Road, Halifax. Wire-making works of Frederick Smith & Company.

James Royston, Son & Company moved here in 1980.

Yorkshire Plastic Wires moved here from Normanton around 1982.

The building was demolished in 2001/2002. The site is now occupied by various retail outlets

California Works, Walsden
Owners and tenants have included

Callis Mill, Charlestown
Halifax Road, Hebden Bridge.

Aka Charlestown Mill, Roddins Mill.

Originally, a water-powered cotton mill. This was the largest mill in Charlestown.

A woollen mill is recorded in 1786. It was built by Christopher Rawdon and the Rawdon family.

About 1825, the Ashworth family took a lease on the mill.

About 1830, the mill was badly damaged by fire, and lay derelict for many years.

The Rawdons then moved to Liverpool, leaving Mr Sam at Roddins in charge.

In 1839, the Ashworths and James and Christopher Rawdon sold some of the land for the construction of the railway.

In 1862, James Speak is recorded at

Formerly of Callis Mill, Stansfield

In 1861, it was owned by the Lacy family.

John Pearson was here in 1905.

In 1906, the body of writer James Henry Ogden was found here.

There was a fire at the mill on 9th January 1922.

In 1926, it became Cords Limited, owned by Shepherd and Tattersall. The company produced cotton tyre fabric, using a process patented by Mr Shepherd, which was used in the manufacture of tubeless tyres. The business closed in 1971.

See Mr Sam at Roddins

Canal Dye Works, Halifax
Old Lane / Lee Bank. Built in 18??

The early 19th century water siphon and overflow sump are listed

Canal Kilns, Elland
Halifax Road. Woodside Mills, Elland were next door [1905].


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Canal Mill, Brighouse
Built by Joseph Firth.

See Samuel Baines

Canal Mills, Elland
Stood along the Calder & Hebble Navigation

Canal Mills, Sowerby Bridge
Stood at Washer Lane Bottom, between the canal & Wakefield Road.

6-storey mill which was one of the largest mills locally.

It became the headquarters of John Edwards & Sons.

When it was owned by Sir Henry Edwards, he objected to pollution – see Edwards-Wainhouse Feud – and had all the chimneys at the mill demolished except for one short chimney. He installed Juke's Patent device in the boiler house to remove much of the visible carbon from the smoke.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

It was damaged by fire on 20th April 1980.

A supermarket stands on the site.

See Rolleston Edwards

Canal Street Works, Todmorden
Halifax Road.

Aka Lord Brothers' Mill.

The mill was built in the 1840s by John Lord and his sons.

In 1859, the mill was flooded.

There was an explosion on 21st January 1875, when 6 people were killed and other injured. This is still regarded as one of the town's worst industrial disasters.

There were further fires in 1884 and in 1886.

See William Southwell

Canal Wharf Saw Mills, Hebden Royd
Built in 1851.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

The building was sold to ?? in 1987.

The mill was damaged by a disastrous arson attack in 1990. The mill reopened in 1991, and the visitors' centre offered many attractions for the tourist.

The mill closed in 199?. It has been empty and boarded up since 2003.

In December 2005, planning permission was granted for part of the mill to be demolished and for the remainder to be converted into 32 apartments.

In September 2007, the proposed design – which had been revised for 51 apartments and 75 parking spaces – was turned down by council planning officers who decided that it

would be detrimental to the character and appearance of such a prominent location

and

... because of the design, parking problems, the risk of flooding and noise

Canal Works, Brighouse


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Canal Works, Halifax
Water Lane.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Canal Works, Sowerby Bridge
Wakefield Road.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Canker Dam Mill, Southowram


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Canteen Mill, Todmorden
Lydgate.

About 1830, a weaving shed was built on the site of the Old Canteen Inn, Todmorden. Thomas Hollinrake carried on cotton manufacture here.

In 1860, William Mitchell, cleared the site and built a large room and power weaving shed and warehouse, which became known as Canteen Mill


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Carlton Electrical Works, Halifax
23 Bull Close Lane.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Carlton Mill: Chimney
The 115 ft tall mill chimney at Carlton Mill, Sowerby Bridge was built around 1850.

It is listed.

It is a landmark on Wharf Street

Carlton Mill, Sowerby Bridge
Wharf Street.

Worsted spinning mill built around 1850 for Thomas Nicholl.

The landmark chimney on Wharf Street is listed.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

It has been converted to apartments

Carlton Works, Halifax
The Boulevard.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Carr Green Dye Works, Rastrick

Carr Mill, Todmorden


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Carrfield Mill, Todmorden


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Cartwright's Mill, Rawfolds
Rawfolds Mill was built by Benjamin Broadley around 1774.

William Cartwright's mill was on the river Spen at Rawfolds, near Liversedge.

On the evening of 11th April 1812, the mill was attacked by a Luddite mob of about 150 men led by George Mellor

Casson's Mill, Elland
Tom Casson's Mill. Stood in Crown Street, between Portland Street and Commercial Street

See Thomas Casson & Brother and Thomas Casson

Castle Fields Quarry, Rastrick


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Castle Mill, Cragg Vale
On Elphin Brook.

One of the Cragg mills.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Castle Mills, Elland
Aka Calder Works, Elland

Castle Quarry, Ripponden
It is now [2010] a builder's yard

Catholes Brick Works, Todmorden
Lydgate

Causeway Mill, Todmorden

Causey Mill, Langfield

Causeywood Mill, Langfield
Water-powered cotton-spinning mill built by Firth, Howarth & Firth about 1803 on land owned by Samuel Hanson.

Re-built about 1826. The dam also fed Oldroyd Mill. It was converted to steam in 1833.

Owners and tenants have included

It lay empty for some time before it was dismantled [1895] and demolished in the early 1900s

Caxton Printing Works, Hebden Bridge
Owners and tenants have included

Central Brass Works, Halifax
Woolshops.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Central Brush Works, Halifax
5 Cheapside and Victoria Street East.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Central Clothing Factory, Sowerby Bridge
Hollings Mill Lane.

Owners and tenants have included

Central Iron Works, Boothtown
Claremount Road.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Central Oil Works, Halifax
17 Harrison Road.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Central Pattern Works, Halifax
Gibbet Hill.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Central Works, Brighouse


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Central Works, Sowerby Bridge
Wharf Street.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Centre Mills, Sowerby Bridge
Wharf Street.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

The mill burned down

Century Dye Works, Elland
Millgate.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Century Works, Halifax
Pellon Lane.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

The works were disused from April 2007.

In June 2008, there were plans to use the building as an extension of the local Mosque

Chapel Field Foundry, Ripponden
Elland Road.


Owners and tenants of the foundry have included

 

Chapel Field Mill, Ripponden
Elland Road.

Built by the Chapelfield Mill Company in 1852.

Named for a Chapel which preceded St Bartholomew's Church.

Around 1880, a lift shaft was added to the building.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The building was destroyed by fire on 19th March 1929. The site was cleared.

See Chapel Farm, Ripponden and Robert Holt

Charlestown Mill
Aka Callis Mill, Charlestown

Charlestown Mine, Halifax
Stone quarry which stood on the north side of Charlestown Road, next to Smith's Wire Works.

Recorded in 1910.

Charlestown Road Brick & Tile Works were adjacent to the south-east.

Owners and tenants have included

Smith's works extended on to the quarry site.

The site is now a retail park

Charlestown New Colliery, Halifax
Recorded around 1914

Charlestown Road Brick & Tile Works, Halifax
Stood on the north side of Charlestown Road.

Recorded in 1910.

Charlestown Mine was adjacent to the north-west

Chimneys

Chunter's Dye Works, Halifax
Dean Clough. Recorded on maps produced in 1854

Church Bank Mill, Cragg Vale
Aka Gates End Mill, Cragg Vale, Church End Mill

Built on a site previously known as Pepper Bank (1849/50 map) 

It was destroyed by fire on 16th June 1863


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Pepper Bank Mill [1854] and Church Bank Mill [1894] stood on the same site.

One of the Cragg mills

Cinder Hills Colliery, Southowram

Cinderhill Mill, Todmorden
Castle Street, Millwood.

Built in 1804. It was 5-storeys and measured 73 ft by 36 ft.

In 1824, the mill was improved by the installation of a 26 hp steam engine by Peel, Williams & Company of Manchester.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

The Rose & Crown pub stood next to the mill.

On 26th March 1911, a fire at the mill caused £2,000 damage.

The mill was demolished [2011]

Cinderhills Fireclay Works, Siddal
Established around 1837 by Samuel Halliday.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

On 12th November 1902, fire caused more than £2,000 worth of damage at the works

Claremount Works, Halifax
Large building on the hillside looking onto North Bridge.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Clarence Mill, Halifax
Miall Street / Pellon Lane.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

This was the last worsted spinning mill in Calderdale.

The mill was destroyed by fire on 19th June 2010

Clarence Works, Halifax
Aked's Road.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Clark Bridge Mills, Halifax
Aka Riding Hall. A woollen and worsted mill established in 1785.

It stood at the junction of Bank Bottom and Southowram Bank.

J. & J. Baldwin & Partners and Paton & Baldwin had their business here.

On 19th May 1916, Mr Justice Atkin, sitting at London, ordered Halifax Corporation to pay £600 damages to Paton & Baldwin for damage sustained to its Clark Bridge Mills during the great flood of July 1914.

The building was badly damaged by fire on 4th February 1925.

The mills were demolished in 1980. The gates are still there.

See William Teal

Clarke's Mine, Holmfield

Clay House Mills, Greetland
Rochdale Road.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

There was a fire here on 19th September 1839, and another on 1st January 1965.

The Mill was demolished in the 1950s.

See Ann Dickinson

Clay Pits Mills, Halifax
Clay Pits Lane / Spring Hall Lane.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

In 1862, the 150 ft tall chimney was considered dangerous and was demolished brick by brick, on account of the surrounding property

Clegg's Mill, Clifton
Earlier name for Little John Mill, Clifton Common for John Clegg who built the mill in 1785

Clifby Works, Ovenden

Cliffe Brewery, Warley


Question: Does anyone whether – and how – this relates to the Albion Brewery and the Victoria Brewery?

 

Clifton Bridge Iron Works, Brighouse


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

See The Lodge, Brighouse

Clifton Bridge Mill, Brighouse
Wakefield Road.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

On 3rd January 1934 there was a fire here and 100 workers put out of work

Clifton Colliery
Coal mine near Camm Lane. Recorded in 1851

On 24th June 1857, Benjamin Micklethwaite was killed in a roof fall at the pit.

By 1862, the pit was taken over by the Low Moor Iron Company.

See Clifton colliery railway

Clifton Mill, Bailiff Bridge
A part of the Firth's Carpets complex on the Clifton side of Clifton Beck. The mill was built on the site of the Bailiff Bridge Toll House and Bailiff Bridge Working Men's Institute.

In 1904, the mill was badly damaged by fire. The mill was extended by J. F. Walsh and partners in the 1920s.

In October 2001, the mill – with its newly installed Axminster and Wilton weaving equipment – was put up for sale after the company had closed. Part of the site is being retained for commercial purposes – called Clifton House – and the rest is to be demolished and/or used for housing.

See A. B. Brook

Clifton New Colliery
Coal mine. It was subsequently owned by Low Moor Iron Company.

Later became Ox Pits.

See Clifton colliery railway

Clifton Vale Print Works, Brighouse


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Clock Face Quarry, Barkisland
Saddleworth Road.

Owners and tenants have included

Two newspaper notices on 13th August 1864 announced

Sale by Auction on 24th August at Clock Face Quarry and St Michael's Mount, near Barkisland. The whole of the Quarry Equipment and Draught Horses, etc., for Messrs. Jas. Walker & Sons (in consequence of the Dissolution of Partnership) 

and

The Clock Face Stone Quarry will in future be carried on by Mr John Walker of St Michael's Mount, near Barkisland

Clock Hall Quarry, Lightcliffe

Owners and tenants have included

  • Joseph Aspinall [1896]

Clog Iron Works, Walsden
Alma Street

Clog Sole Quarry, Brighouse
Slead Syke.

In 1970, Halifax Corporation Water Committee paid £100 compensation for damage caused to the quarry by water leaking from the Council water supply

Clough Brewery, Mixenden


Owners and tenants of the brewery have included

 

Clough Head Mine, Todmorden
Sharneyford. 19th century coal mine and brick works owned by Thomas Temperley.

See Temperley & Son Limited

Clough Hole Mill, Todmorden
On Rodwell Clough. Carding mill. Built 1805. It is now a private house

Clough Mill, Hebden Bridge
Hebden Bridge Lanes.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Clough Mill, Midgley
Worsted mill built in 1838.

It was later used to manufacture velvet and cotton.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Clough Mill, Ripponden
In 1792, Richard Learoyd bought a fulling mill here and used it for cotton spinning. His son, Joah, took over business at the mill in 1806. He was joined by his brother, James

Clough Mill, Sowerby Bridge
Gratrix Lane.

The Clough Mill Company Limited was registered in April 1873.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The mill was demolished in 19??. Housing now stands on the site.

See Hand Carr Mill, Luddendenfoot

Clough Mill, Walsden
3-storey cotton-carding and spinning mill driven by a waterwheel. It was built in 1786 by John Fielden on his land at Clough Farm. This was the first water-powered cotton-mill in Todmorden.

The mill was then used by his new partnership, Fielden & Travis, both partners living in houses attached to the mill.

William Fielden and his brothers were here [from 1818].

Around 1835, a 135-foot tall chimney was added. This was demolished in 1895.

Rooms at the mill were rented out to other manufacturers, including John Lord and his sons, and James Fielden.

Because of the Cotton Famine, the mill was quiet between 1865 and 1868, and was then was run by William Dugdale.


Subsequent owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

In 1879, the mill was bought by the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Company.

On 3rd November 1892, there was a fire at the mill.

It is now a private house.

See Joseph Travis

Clough Mills, Stone Chair
Halifax Road. Woollen mill built in the late 1890s.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

In 1969, the mill closed.

In 1970, it was taken over by Thomas's Limited (Petcraft).

From 1976, it was used by Decosol.

In 2005, there were plans to convert the building into luxury flats.

The mill was badly damaged by fire on 22nd February 2005 and had to be demolished. The site was redeveloped and is currently [2009] a Volkswagen showroom

Clough Works, Sowerby Bridge
Bolton Brow.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Cloughfoot Coal Mine, Todmorden

Cloughfoot Mill, Todmorden
Aka Owler Carr Mill, Todmorden

Co-op Mill, Hebden Bridge
A popular name for Calder Mill when it was owned by Robertshaw & Company

Coates Pit, Hartshead
Coal mine in the Kirklees Estate. Recorded in 1884

Cockcroft Mill, Ripponden
Aka Bogden Mill, Rishworth

Cockden Mill, Stansfield
Built around 1797 by Abraham Barker.

In 1805, Barker was declared bankrupt and sold the mill.

Hiram Hay took over the mill who used it until 1808

Cocker's Mill, Elland
After the Methodist Southgate Reformers split up in 1871, services were held at Cocker's Warehouse, Briggate, Elland before the Temperance Methodist Chapel, Elland was opened in 1876.

Subsequently occupied by Eli Garnett & Son Limited.

The mill was badly damaged by fire in 19?? and demolished shortly afterwards

Cockhill Farm Colliery, Shelf
Coal mining and stone quarrying company owned by M. Bottomley & Son [1880]

Cold Arbour Coal Pit, Boothtown
Run by the Stocks family in the late 18th / early 19th century.

In 1810, Michael Stocks was said to have encroached on the coal of Samuel Holdsworth and Captain John Bower, and sold the coal for his own benefit. The 3 men were in partnership, but Stocks also worked Cold Arbour Coal Pit on his own. In 1815, Stocks was charged with wilful and corrupt perjury at the 1810 trial, but he was acquitted.

See Cold Harbour, Pule Hill

Cold Harbour Mine, Boothtown
19th century coal mine beneath Swales Moor

Coley Mill
The corn mill is recorded in 1562 when local tenants were granted permission to take their corn to the mill instead of Rastrick Mill as the Lord of the Manor of Brighouse required.

In the 19th century, the building was put to other uses. It fell into a state of disrepair and was demolished in the 1940s. T' Wheel Hoile pub stood nearby.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Colne Bridge Mill
A cotton mill owned by Thomas Atkinson.

On 14th February 1818, a group of children working the night shift, were inside when fire broke out. 9 children survived, but 17 young girls died.

The mill was rebuilt and operated for a further 100 years, under the ownership of the Haigh family.

Commercial Iron & Brass Foundry, Brighouse
Established in Park Row, Brighouse in 1828.

The business was bought by Joseph Blakeborough in 1866 to establish J. Blakeborough & Sons Limited

Commercial Mills, Elland
Between Southgate and Huddersfield Road. 6-storey building.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

The mills were demolished when much of Elland was redeveloped in the 1960s. Flats were built on the site

Commercial Mills, Halifax
Commercial Road.


Owners and tenants have included

 

Commercial Mills, Ripponden
Built in 1855 by the Ripponden Commercial Company on the site of Hollings Mill.

The new mill opened on 3rd January 1857. It cost £12,027 to build. The Mill closed in February 1961 [?].

A new, larger mill was begun in 1861. This took 3 years to build and cost £28,313.

At this time, the business was affected by the Cotton Famine.

It was described as

A spacious 6-storeyed building ... run on the co-operative principle

In 1896, the Ripponden Commercial Company installed an engine at the Mills with the specifications


Twin beam McNaught compound engine

1600 hp

Corliss HP inlet, piston valves exhaust; slide valves LP

42½ rpm

Gear drive

Tattersall design. Beams 10 tons each, 21'4½" long.

Contributor Geoffrey Siddall says

I recall that this mill was very well founded. It was the only one I knew without a central engine or rope race. It had a turbine generator, which was a neat arrangement, giving power to each shed. The voltage I don't know, but I recall that they installed a special transformer when I was in Ripponden, so that they did not have to use the full power, and could tap into the mains to run one or more of the sheds

See Commercial Mill Company

Common Wood Quarry, Hipperholme
Recorded in 1868

Company's Mill, West Vale
Stainland Road. On 29th October 1873, the mill burned down when a fire broke out as workmen were examining the gearing in the top room. Very little of the mill was saved

Condima Textile Works, Halifax
Damask Street. Designed by J. F. Walsh [1896]

Condima Works, Halifax
Lewis Street.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Conway Stone Quarries
A division of Brooke's Limited which quarried in several parts of Wales. Around 1913, it became the North Wales Granite Company Limited

Coolham Drift Mine, Todmorden
About 1800, brothers John and Reuben Haigh, and their father John Haigh, began to develop coal measures under Foul Clough on Inchfield Moor and continued to work these until 1823.

When the mine was exhausted, the brothers made a new entrance to the coal pit at Coolham.

The Haigh family worked these measures continuously until the 1890s.

The remains of the drift mine can still be seen

Cooper Bridge Sewage Works
Opened in June 1900 for Brighouse Corporation. Stone from the demolished Rising Sun Inn at Bridge End was used to built the boundary wall at the works

Cooper House Mills, Luddendenfoot
6-storey cotton mill on the north bank of the Calder.

Stood next to Brick Mill.

Built in 1832.

The mill was rebuilt by Whitworths in 1862 and they built Wood Bottom Dye Works at the same time.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

The 6-storey mills were damaged by fire on 13th July 1903 - in March 1903, it was decided to rebuild the mill – and on 20th February 1930.

See Luddendenfoot Gas Supplies

Co-operative Mills, Bradshaw
Aka Tetley's Mill. Worsted spinning mills. 6 or 7 storeys high.

The mill was opened in 1855 to provide employment for the villagers of Bradshaw after local coal mines had closed down.

John Lassey, donated land and villagers raised £7,000.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

and finally taken over by Lister's of Manningham Mills, Bradford.

The mills closed in 1967

Copley Chemical Works
Stood between Wakefield Road and the Canal at Copley. Recorded in 1907

Copley Gas Works
This provided a gas supply for the resident's of Copley Model Village

Copley mill
Woollen mills at Copley. The Swaine family owned the mill until 1808.

The mill was bought by Jonathan Akroyd in 1840, and rebuilt in 1847.

Akroyd's were here on 17th August 1856 when a girl and a young man were killed at the mill.

On 26th May 1893, a new syndicate at Copley Mills – comprising J. Hoyle, T. Hoyle, M. Fearnley, and B. Firth - decided to retain the name James Akroyd & Sons

From 1932 to 1960, the mills were operated by worsted spinners, Thomas Hoyle & Sons Limited.

In 1960, Hoyle's was bought by the Lancashire and Yorkshire Tulketh Group.

The mills closed in 1968 and were demolished in 1975. A council housing estate was built on the site.

See Copley Mills Brass Band, Copley Model Village, William Heaton and William Brown Holgate

Copley Sewage Plant
Opened 28th May 1936

Copperas House Dye Works, Walsden


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Copperas House Mill, Walsden
Copperas House.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Copperas Works, Siddal

Copy Pit Colliery, Todmorden
Windy Bridge

Cornaro Works, Hove Edge


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Cornholme Mills, Todmorden

See Cornholme Mills Company Limited

Cornholme Reed Works
See Law Street Works, Cornholme

Corona Chimney, Dean Clough
A 381 ft high, octagonal, stone chimney with a brick lining. It has a 30 ft square base. It weighs 9,500 tons. Dated 1857.

The inside is lined with firebricks supplied by Jonathan Brier, and the outside is stone from the Northowram Quarries. There is a moulded cornice surmounted by a corona of pointed cast-iron plates.

When the chimney was completed, the builders and steeplejacks held a party at the top.

There is its twin chimney at Holmfield Mills

Coronation Works, Brighouse
Armytage Road. Built in 1966 for the Halifax Rack & Screw Cutting Company Limited when they moved from Coronation Works, Ovenden

Coronation Works, Ovenden
Foundry Street. In 1953, Binns & Berry split off their rack and screw cutting operations and bought this factory to establish the Halifax Rack & Screw Cutting Company Limited

Corporation Mill: Chimney
The 19th century 98 ft high chimney at Corporation Mill, Sowerby Bridge is listed. It is octagonal with bands at the top

Corporation Mill, Sowerby Bridge
Built in 1875 by William Morris & Sons Limited. Recorded in 1897.

In 1971, William Morris & Sons moved production here from Stansfield Mills, Triangle.

The chimney is listed.

The mill closed for a time in 1979.


Subsequent owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

It is now known as Joel House

Corporation Street Saw Mills, Halifax


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Cote Hill Bobbin Mill
Bobbin-manufacturer established in 1798.

The mill was 3 storeys high, and about 40 yards in length.

Owners and tenants have included

On 30th April 1867, the mill was destroyed by fire when it was occupied by A. Munday

Cote Hill Quarry, Warley

Owners and tenants have included

Cowbridge Mill, Todmorden
Aka Cowside Mill, Cowbrigg Mill, and Underbank Mill. Stood on Jumble Hole Clough.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The mill was demolished in the 1930s.

The dam was preserved to drive a private electricity supply.

See Cow Bridge, Todmorden

Cowside Mill, Todmorden
Aka Cowbridge Mill, Todmorden

Cragg Mill, Cragg Vale
On Elphin Brook.

One of the Cragg mills.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Cragg Mills
From the 18th century, the mills at Cragg Vale and Mytholmroyd – and the mill owners – were infamous for their exploitation of child labour.

Notorious amongst these were Castle Mill, Cragg Vale, Church Bank Mill, Cragg Vale, G. & I. Hinchliffe, New Mill, Cragg Vale, Pepper Bank Mill, Cragg Vale, Turvin Mill, Cragg Vale, Vale Mill, Cragg Vale, Victoria Mills, Cragg Vale, Walker & Edmondson, Withens Brook, The Greenwood family of Cragg Vale and The Hinchliffe family of Cragg Vale

Cranbrook Mills, Norwood Green
Station Road

Craven Edge Mills, Halifax
Hopwood Lane / Back Clarendon Place.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Crescent Mill, Todmorden
Aka Hall Ing Mill. Tinplate works.

Owners and tenants have included

In 1873, the Whiteheads sold the mill to Fielden Brothers but they continued to occupy the property

Crimsworth Dye Works, Hebden Bridge
Midgehole. Opened 18??.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Closed September 1958.

See Crossley Head

The Crispit Factory, Halifax
Causeway Head, Burnley Road.


Owners and tenants of the factory have included

 

Criterion Works, Halifax
Lister Lane.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Croft Mill, Hebden Royd


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

On 7th February 1922, the mill was gutted in a fire.

It has been converted into offices

Croft Mill, Todmorden
Halifax Road. Occupied by the Cockcroft family – see Henry Cockcroft.

The mill was demolished in 2005

Croft Mill, West Vale
Rochdale Road. 4-storey mill.

It has been converted into apartments

Croft Mills, Halifax
Gaol Lane.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

The mill was damaged by fire on 22nd April 1853. Recorded in 1907

Croft Pit, Hartshead
Coal mine. Recorded in 1925, when Robert Albert Croft murdered Nelson Worthington here

Cromwell Wood Quarry, Southowram


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Cross Hill Mills, Halifax


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Cross Hills Iron Foundry, Halifax
Recorded in 1829 and 1835, when James Oates was here

Cross Lee Mill, Stansfield
Built in 1804.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

In 1811, the mill operated 648 spindles

Cross Mill, Elland
James Street.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Cross Mills, Halifax
Gaol Lane.

Owners and tenants have included

Cross Platts Quarry, Southowram
Halfpenny Can Lane.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

The quarry is now [2005] filled in

Crossfield's Mill, Luddendenfoot
Another name for Denholme Mills, Luddendenfoot when it was occupied by J. W. Crossfield [1911]

Crossley Mill, Elland
A popular name for Broad Lea Mill, Elland when it was owned/occupied by W. & J. E. Crossley [1915]

Crossley Mill, Hebden Bridge
New Road. Spinning and weaving mill built around 1819/1822 by John Crossley of the Crossley family of Hebden Bridge.

It was possibly the largest mill in the Calder Valley. The mill was originally 5 storeys plus an attic, but, in the 1870s, the mill was reduced to a one-storey weaving shed.

In late 1917, the Crossleys retired from the business and the mill closed.

In 1906, it was occupied by Richard Thomas & Sons and was affected by the fustian weavers' strike.

The mill was run by Richard Thomas & Sons until the late 1940s, then Parker Bros Limited, until late 1950s / early 1960s when it was closed under a government concentration scheme for the cotton industry.

On 15th December 1964, the mill was occupied by Thomas Ratcliffe & Company when it was destroyed by fire.

All that remains of the mill is the truncated chimney around which is built a nursery

Crossley's Mill, Walsden
Hollins Road

Crow Carr Ings Mill, Todmorden
Vale Street. Aka the Joint Stock Weaving Shed. Built as a weaving shed by Lord Brothers who loaned the looms to other weavers.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Crow Nest Works, Hebden Bridge
Station Road. Recorded in 1905. The gas works were completed in 1912. Hebden Bridge Gas Company was here

Crown Brewery, Northowram
Bradford Road. Brewers established by John Eastwood in 1876. In 1890, the business was acquired by Bentley's Yorkshire Breweries Limited.

The Brewery closed in 1900.

It became the Crown Works, Northowram.

The mill was demolished after a fire in 19??.

A furniture and carpet store now stands on the site [1990s, 2011].

The Brewery is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs

See Friendly, Catherine Slack and Reuben Eastwood

Crown House, Halifax
Mile Cross Road

Crown Steam Printing Works, Halifax
Weymouth Street. 4-storey mill.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Crown Umbrella Works, Halifax
10 Weymouth Street.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Crown Wire Works, Brighouse


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Crown Works, Boothtown
Grantham Road.

Built by A. Earnshaw & Sons


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

See Godley Ironworks

Crown Works, Halifax
Weymouth Street / Culver Street, Halifax.

Owners and tenants have included

Crown Works, Halifax
Hopwood Lane. Built in 1874 by Josiah Wade for production of his Arab printing machine

Crown Works, Hebden Bridge
Foster Mill. Alongside Hebden Water. In 1907, it is shown as an iron works.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Crown Works, Northowram
When the Crown Brewery closed in 1900, the premises became the Crown Works.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Crowtrees Mill, Rastrick
Crowtrees Lane. Joseph Clay and J. T. Clay & Sons Limited manufactured worsted cloth here from the 19th century until the business closed in 1934.

The mill was then used by W. H. Sladdin & Sons Limited.

It was demolished in 1976. The site was neglected for many years

Crowtrees Quarry, Rastrick


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Cuckoo Steps Mill, Hebden Bridge
Bridge Lanes. 3-storey mill.

Now 2 private dwellings.

See Cuckoo Steps, Hebden Bridge

Cullingworth's Mill, Brighouse
Mill Royd Mill was used by Hy. Cullingworth & Sons Limited, wool merchants, until 2001


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z



© Malcolm Bull 2017 / calderdale@aol.com
Revised 10:38 on 24th November 2017 / m408_c / 121