Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Mills & Mines

B



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


B mill, Dean Clough

Badger Hill Mills, Rastrick
In 1868, John Smith and his son, William set up business here.

On John's death, his sons William, Edward and Albert, and J. I. Mortimer established John Smith, Sons & Mortimer here. It had become the largest woollen manufacturer in the district by 1922 when William died.

There were 3 mill buildings.

There were fires at the mill

  • On 31st July 1936

  • On 7th April 1889 when the blaze was brought under control by a fire engine kept on the premises

  • In 1970, when some of the older buildings were badly damaged by fire. The newer parts of the mills escaped damage, but it was decided to dismantle the old chimney which developed a bad crack in the fire. However, the demolition went wrong, the chimney fell the wrong way and came down on top of the one remaining mill, destroying the building and the new machinery. The insurance did not cover the cost of reconstructing the property and the business closed

See The beck that runs through Rastrick and Badger Hill Reservoir

Bailey Hall Mill, Halifax
Built in 1879 for the Halifax Flour Society.

The foundation stone was laid in 1862. Beneath the stone were sealed bottles containing a complete set of British coins, balance sheets for 15 years' trading, copies of the rules of the Society, sample voting papers, lists of the directors and employees, 2 histories of the Society – written by the Secretary and the Treasurer, a copy of the Mark Lane Express, a copy of the Halifax Courier, a copy of the Halifax Guardian, and a few grains of corn.

The mill had 48 pairs of mill-stones which were driven by two 40 hp engines.

In 1916, the mill was sold to the Co-operative Wholesale Society. The closure of the flour mills at Bailey Hall, in the 1930s, affected usage of the Halifax Branch canal.

In 1945, it was sold to Paton & Baldwin's.

In 1951, it was sold to John Mackintosh & Sons. The mills are now a part of the Nestlé site, and can be clearly seen from Halifax railway station.

In November 2004, the mill became unsuitable for Nestlé, and there was a proposal to restore the mill and build 4 town houses and a block of luxury flats to provide 123 new homes

Bailiff Bridge Mill
Jonas Wright was a corn dealer here [1822]. It was owned by the Richardson family of Bierley Hall. Around 1885, the machinery was removed from the mill and it was used as a warehouse by Clayton & Company.

See Sowden's: W. J. J. & S. Sowden

Bailiffe Bridge Corn Mill
Recorded in 1853, when it was occupied by John Briggs & Son.

See Samuel Kellett

Baines Square Mills, Brighouse

Baldwin's Silk Mill, Brighouse

Bank Bottom Dye Work, Halifax
Clark Bridge / Southowram Bank. Recorded in the early 1800s

Bank Bottom Malt Kilns, Elland


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Bank Bottom Mill, Elland
Saddleworth Road.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

There was a fire at the mill on 14th February 1878

Bank Bottom Mills, Halifax
Clark Bridge [?].


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Bank Bottom Mine, Southowram

Bank Brewery, Sowerby Bridge
Wharf Street. 19th century brewery.


Owners and tenants of the brewery have included

 

See Bank Brewery Company

Bank Close Quarry, Hipperholme


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Bank Foot Mill, Halifax
Stood east of Berry Lane and Lower Kirkgate. Recorded in the early 1800s

Bank Foundry, Sowerby Bridge
Wharf Street. There were 2 factories, one either side of the Rochdale Canal.

Timothy Bates founded Timothy Bates & Company here in 1786

Bank Mill, Dulesgate

Bankfield Bakery, Halifax
Boothtown Road. In 1905, the proprietors were William Baker & Son

Bankfield Mill, Haley Hill


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Bankfoot Lower Mill, Hebden Bridge
Associated with Bankfoot Mill, Hebden Bridge. In 1811, the mill operated 1928 spindles

Bankfoot Mill, Hebden Bridge
Mytholm. There were also Bankfoot Lower Mill, Hebden Bridge and Bankfoot Upper Mill, Hebden Bridge. Built in 17??/18??.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

On 30th April 1875, a fire at the mill caused damaged estimated at around £350.

Demolished in 1971.

The houses of Colden Close now stand on the site.

Bankfoot House stood opposite the Mill

Bankfoot Mill, Todmorden

Bankfoot Upper Mill, Hebden Bridge
Associated with Bankfoot Mill, Hebden Bridge.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

In 1811, the mill operated 2964 spindles

Bankhouse Mill, Stainland


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

In 1908, the mills – then occupied by John Maude & Sons – were gutted by fire. Houses now stand on the site

Banks Mill, Todmorden
Dulesgate, Bacup Road

Banksfield Clothing Works, Mytholmroyd


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Banksfield Mill, Mytholmroyd
Owners and tenants have included

  • Sutcliffe Farrar & Company Limited [2010]

Bankwell Colliery, Cornholme
Opened in 1811.

A lower pit was opened at Bankwell Corner [1899].

The pit closed in 1921.


Owners and tenants have included

 

There was a fatal accident here on 6th October 1855, when the mine was owned by Haigh, Green & Company.

The mine closed in 1921

Bar Mill, Elland
Woollen mill.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Barclay Quarry, Southowram


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Bare Head Quarry, Northowram

Owners and tenants have included

Barewise Mill, Todmorden
Burnley Valley. Cotton mill recorded in 1808.

Owners and tenants have included

See Barewise Mill Company Limited

Barker Royd Mill, Southowram
4-storey mill to produce carding equipment and belting built by the Barber family at Barker Royd, Southowram.

The mill produced gas which they supplied to the houses in the nearby Halfpenny Can area.

In the 1930s, the mill was used by Rose & Bradley.

The building has been converted into apartments

Barker Royd Quarry, Southowram
Owners and tenants have included

Barkisland Mills
Stainland Road. 6-storey mill.

In 1864, Samuel Dawson was killed in an accident at the mill.

On 6th December 1882, there was a fire at the mills and 1 man was killed.

Owners and tenants have included

In 200?, the mills were converted into apartments

Barms Hill Pottery
Established by the Sunderland family around 1910.

The business moved to Soil Hill where it was managed by Sam Bradley

Bates's Mill, Sowerby Bridge


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The mill was demolished in 19??. A supermarket stands on the site

Bath Mills, Southowram
There was corn milling here in the early 18th century

Battinson Road Mills, Halifax


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

In September 1966, it was announced that the mills were to be converted to a supermarket.

The mills were occupied by the Asda Supermarket and the Yorkshire Antiques Market.

In 1981, fire destroyed the mills

Beacon Brick Works, Halifax
Godley Road.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Beacon Fire Clay Works
Miss Lister's Road, Southowram

Beacon Hill Road Saw Works, Halifax
Recorded in 1930 where Wiscombe Bank joins Beacon Hill Road

Beacon Lodge Quarry, Southowram
Stone quarry on Long Lane

Beacon Mine, Southowram
Beacon Hill

Beacon Works, Halifax
Well Lane.

See Buck & Watkin

Beauvoir Works, Luddenden


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Beech Hill Mills, Halifax
Stood at the junction of Beech Street and Pellon Lane.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Beechwood Mills, Ovenden

Beechwood Works, Ovenden

Beehive Works, Hebden Bridge
Hebble End.

A later name for the Hebble End Works.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

The mill was affected by the strike of July 1906

Beeston Mill, Ripponden
Aka Beestonhirst Mill, Ripponden

Beeston Mill, Stainland
Another name for Holme Mill, Stainland

Beestonhirst Mill, Ripponden
Aka Gig Mill, Thrum Hall Mill, Beeston Mill 17th century mill.

In 1663, it was divided into 2 houses.

In 1736, Mary, wife of John Royds, added the mill to the family estate.

An iron waterwheel was added later.

The old engine house is dated M. R. 1736 for Mary Royds.


Subsequent owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

In 1810, the mill was split off from Thrum Hall.

In May 1906, John H. Stead put the mill up for sale at auction, and it was described as

a 40-storeyed building with reservoir, &c, and land adjoining

The property was withdrawn at £500.

The Mill burnt down in 1924-1926.

See Beeston Hall

Beeton Rope Works, Stansfield
Halifax Road

Beggarington Pit, Hartshead
Coal mine. Recorded in 1851

Bell Hall Joinery Works, Halifax
Owners and tenants have included John W. Roberts [1911]

Belle Vue Silk Mills, Brighouse
Bradford Road. 3-storey mill.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Belmont Mill, Norland

Benjamin Thompson Quarries, Southowram
See Watson Quarries

Bentley's Quarry, Hipperholme
Established by Joseph Bentley


Question: It is possible that this quarry has been confused with any of several others operated by Mr Bentley at Hipperholme. Please email me if you can resolve any confusion

 

Berry Mill, Stainland


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Billingshay Mills


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Binns Bottom Mine, Southowram
/ Elland Road, Brighouse.

Coalmine on land between the Calder and Calder & Hebble Navigation. It was in production from the late 18th century.


Owners and tenants of the mine have included

 

A newspaper notice on 23rd January 1869 announced TO BE LET OR SOLD with immediate possession.

BINNS BOTTOM COLLIERY in the Township of Southowram, in the parish of Halifax within about one mile of Elland.

For further particulars apply Holt & Co, Southowram; or John Shore, Colliery Viewer, Southowram or Wm Berry & Sons, Land & Mineral Surveyors, Lightcliffe

In 1906, the workings were taken over by Ash Grove Fireclay Works, later W. T. Knowles & Sons

Binns's Mill, Rishworth
Aka Dyson Lane Mill, Rishworth

Birdcage Works, Halifax
Beacon Hill Road / Godley.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Birks Mill, Walsden
A mill is recorded here in 1799.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

It is currently [2009] in a parlous state

Birks Royd Quarry, Southowram
On the left hand side down Church Lane.


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

See Birks Royd, Southowram and Southowram Birks Royd

Black Dyke Mills, Queensbury
Or Black Dike Mills. The mill of John Foster & Son Limited, manufacturer of woollen and worsted products. John Foster started to build the mill around 1835.

The company's brass band was founded by John Foster in 1835.

See David Parkinson

Black Flat Pit, Clifton
Coal mine owned by the Low Moor Iron Company.

There was a fatal explosion at the pit on 14th January 1873.

The pit ceased producing coal in 1907

Blackburn & Sugden Colliery, Shelf
In 1785, John Sugden had a coal pit here. His son, Dr John Sugden carried on the business in 1823

Blackley & Woodman Mine, Elland

Blackley Fire Clay Works
Aka Wilkinson's Clay Works, Elland

Blackley Pottery
Built by Joseph Kitson in 1810

Blackshawhead corn mill
Later used for cotton production.

It was destroyed by fire on 3rd March 1802

Blackwall Wire Works, Halifax
West Parade.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Blackwood Mill, Halifax
Battinson Road / Long Lover Lane. Aka Blackwood Shed.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

In 1912, Jesse Robinson – trading as Enoch Robinson – was served with a notice to abate the nuisance arising from the discharge of black smoke from the chimney at the works

Blake Hill End Quarry, Northowram

Owners and tenants have included

Blakelaw Quarry, Hartshead
Situated between Clifton and Hartshead.

Sir George Armytage gave stone from the quarry for the construction of Saint John the Evangelist, Clifton

Blue Ball Quarry, Rastrick
Aka Blue Ball Delf, Blue Bell Quarry. Upper Edge.


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

The quarry is now filled in

Bob Mill, Heptonstall
Aka Slater Ing Mill. Recorded in 1805. 6-storey mill measuring 60 ft by 30 ft.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Bob Mill, Lower Colden
This was a very early 3 storey cotton spinning mill, believed to be the first in this area.

It was probably built in the early 1790s by Gamaliel Sutcliffe, but it burned down on 3rd March 1802 and was never rebuilt.

Part of what survived was made into a house, but most remained as ruin.

In 1967, boys from Dobroyd Castle School, working under their Probation Officers, pulled down the ruins almost to ground level to tidy up the countryside.

The old wheelhouse at the western end is about all that remains of any substance

Bogden Mill, Rishworth
Aka Cockcroft Mill, Hazel Grove Mill, Hutch Royd Mill, Lower Wormald Mill, and Round Hill Mill.

4-storey cotton mill, measuring 48 ft by 48 ft, built in 1792.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The mill was inundated when Ryburn Reservoir was constructed

Bolton Quarries, Southowram
Stone quarries at Bank Top / Green Lane.

Owners and tenants have included

The quarry was filled in by J. & J. Fee [1960s & 1970s]

Bond Works, Halifax
Hopwood Lane.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Bonegate Soap Works, Brighouse
Stood near Bonegate Hall. Recorded in 1859


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Booth Bridge Mill, Rishworth
3-storey mill measuring 27 ft by 24 ft, built by John Piccup around 1794.

A 4-storey mill measuring 39 ft by 38 ft was built alongside around 1801.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

In 1836, Michael Hoyle leased Booth Bridge Cotton Mill and 10 acres of land in Spa Meadow, to John Shepherd on condition that

he raises the dam bank and weir and insures the mill for £800

The mill later became a frizing mill for production of blankets.

After 1919, the mill was abandoned.

It was demolished [19??].

See Booth Bridge, Rishworth

Booth Wood Mill, Rishworth


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

In August 1857, the mill was badly damaged by floods in the Ryburn Valley.

On 10th February 1854, the mill was partially burnt down. At the time, it was reported that the mill belonged to the Earl of Scarborough.

On 16th October 1875, Monkman White was killed at the mill.

On 7th October 1920, the mill was damaged by fire.

On 3rd July 1926, the mill was damaged by fire. On 6th July 1926, the mill was completely destroyed by fire.

The site was cleared and the land acquired by Wakefield Corporation. Booth Wood Reservoir was built just upstream of the mill.

See John Pickup

Boothtown Colliery
19th century coal mine beneath Swales Moor.

Recorded in 1842.

It closed in 1875

Boothtown Lathe Works
Boothtown Road.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Boothtown Leather Works
Gordon Street.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Boothtown Mill
Mill Lane, Boothtown Road.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Boothtown Silk Mills
Recorded on maps produced in 1854.

See Atkinson's Silk Mill, Boothtown

Boothtown Steam Joinery Works
Gordon Street.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Borough Bottling Works, Brighouse
Established by Edward Nettleton in Nettleton's Yard, Brighouse

Borough Mineral & Aerated Works, Todmorden
Roomfield Lane.

Owners and tenants have included J. Feather & Son [1897]

Borough Wire Works, Brighouse
Police Street.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Bottomley's Mill, Barkisland
Cotton mill recorded in 13th January 1871 when fire broke out in the mill which was run by Bottomley Brothers

Bottomley's Mill, Ripponden
The mills burned down on 17th November 1858

Bottomley's Mill, Shelf
Owned by Henry Bottomley.

Joseph Hobson Jaggerthe man who broke the bank at Monte Carlo – was an engineer here

Bottomley's Saw Mills, Brighouse
Gooder Lane. Established by Thomas Bottomley from what was originally Railway Saw Mills

Bottoms Mill, Ogden
Off Union Lane.

Spinning mill. Built in the early 1800s.

Owners and tenants have included Cockroft & Chambers [1871]

Cockroft & Chambers filed for bankruptcy, and, in 1886, the property and effects at Bottoms Mill were put up for sale. The 2 lots comprised:

  1. Stone-built worsted mill, reservoirs, wheelrace, and water rights, together with the engine bed, waterwheel, dams, goits, shafting and gearing, and the several closes of land adjoining the said mill, called the Nursery, the Little Field and the Plantation, with the road leading to the mill from the public road, and the strip of land adjoining to the said road, and the stable and hayloft over, and the two cottages built on the land [for an expected price of] £400;

  2. Various machinery, including spinning frames, spindles and skips

Bottoms Mill, Salterhebble
John Holdsworth set up business here.

On 30th May 1936, the mill was almost destroyed by fire.

See Peter Cockcroft

Bottoms Mill, Walsden


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Boulderclough Mills, Sowerby
Aka Swamp Mills, Sowerby

Bower's Mill, Barkisland
18th century water-powered fulling mill on the Black Brook.

Later converted for other processes: corn mill, worsted mill, woollen mill.

The 5-storey mill was built around 1864 and extended 1864-1882. It has been converted for use by small businesses


Owners and tenants have included

 

Bowling Dyke Mills, Halifax
Aka Bowling Dyke Dye Works, Halifax.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The mill burned down on 1st July 1847.

It was rebuilt around 1850 for James Akroyd & Son by Hewes & Wren of Manchester. On 7th December 1848, a new mill was opened.

An oratorio was performed when the mill opened.

The employees published a letter of gratitude for the support which the Akroyds had given to them and their families whilst the mill was being rebuilt.


Subsequent owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

The mill later formed a part of the Dean Clough complex.

There is some confusion in the sources between this and Old Lane Mill, Halifax

Bowling Green Foundry, Halifax
Well Lane.


Owners and tenants of the foundry have included

 

Bowood Quarry, Triangle
Owners and tenants have included

Box Tree Mill, Wheatley
4-storey woollen mill. Designed by Walsh, Wilkinson & Coutts.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

See Box Trees House, Ovenden

Boy Mill, Luddendenfoot
Originally a corn mill on the south bank of the Calder.

It appears as a fulling mill on a map of 1599.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

A Sunday School was held here around 1830.

In 1858, the Whitworth's built a new 7-storey mill. They later added several other machine shops.

The mill was damaged by fire on


Question: Can anyone confirm David Cant's suggestion that the photograph of the 1906 mill fire might be of Boy Mill?

 

See Boy Bridge, Luddendenfoot

Boyes Bank Pit, Northowram
The will of Richard Halliday [1778] mentions coal mines here

Boys Mill, Halifax
Aka Phoebe Lane Mills.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Brackenbed Brewery
Recorded in 1868.

Owners and tenants have included

Closed after World War I.

See F. H. Hatch and Sheard's Brewery

Brackens Land End Mine, Shelf


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Brackens Lane Mines, Shelf
There were several coal mines in the area

Bradley Mill, Colne Bridge
Aka Atkinson's Mill, Colne Bridge

Bradley Mill, Stainland
Paper mill built on the Black Brook.


Owners and tenants have included

 

Recorded in 1907

Bradley Quarry
The 19th century Brighouse quarry was sold to Huddersfield for use as a land-fill tip, but was not used. After some work in the 1980s, it is now a nature reserve

Bradshaw Head Pottery
Established around 1830 by Samuel Catherall. It closed around 1832

Bradshaw Lane Brewery
Established by Benjamin Jackson.

See David Jackson

Bradshaw Lane Mine
Aka Bradshaw Lane Colliery. Several accidents were recorded here in the 19th century


Owners and tenants have included

 

Bradshaw Mills
See Co-operative Mills, Bradshaw

Bramston Street Mine, Rastrick
Stone mine. at the bottom of Bramston Street.


Owners and tenants of the mine have included

 

It has closed and the site has been reclaimed

Branksholme Dye Works, Brighouse
/ Branks Holme Works [1910]. Bradford Road (east side).

Stood south of North Vale Mills. Built before 1908.

See Branxholme Mills, Bailiff Bridge

Branxholme Mills, Bailiff Bridge
Aka Hardman's Mills. Built in 1844, by Henry Roberts of Gomersall.

In 1856, the mill, house and garden were advertised to let, the mill having

a never-failing supply of water ... cheap and abundant coal ... steam engines of 16 hp and 40 hp


Owners and tenants have included

 

The mill was badly damaged by fire on 8th December 1883.

There was a serious fire at the mills on 7th September 1910.

The mill was demolished in the early 1980s and the Branxholme Trading Estate built on the site

See Branksholme Dye Works, Brighouse

Bray's Mill, Lilly Lane
Owned by John Bray.

Robert Crossley was a worsted spinner here in the 1840s

Breakneck Pit, Hipperholme
Clay mine. Recorded in 1894, when he married

Brearley Mills, Midgley
Brearley Lane / Luddendenfoot. A corn mill is mentioned here in 1296.

It was a cotton scribbling mill.

In 1807, the mill was used wool carding and scribbling.

In 1812, it was again used for corn milling.

Champion Murgatroyd, the miller at the mill, had suffered several thefts of sacks of flour. To solve the problem, he placed marked pieces of paper in the flour. The culprits were caught when flour in their possession was sieved. In 1834, John Mitchell, William Mitchell and Abraham Akroyd were charged with stealing 20 lbs of wheat from Champion Murgatroyd. Henry Riley was charged with receiving the stolen wheat. All the men were transported to the West Indies for 7 years

The mill was entirely gutted by fire on 18th March 1881. The mill was then described as

3 storeys high

The mill was badly damaged by fire on 30th April 1907. The mill was then described as

5 storeys high, 6 windows (30 yards) long, and 4 windows (15 yards)  wide


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Breck Mill, Hebden Bridge
Bridge Lanes. Originally a corn mill.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

In October 1916, a boiler crashed into the entrance to the mill.

A chimney was connected to the mill by a flue which passed under the main road. The chimney was demolished when nearby houses were demolished and area landscaped in the 1960s

Brian Royd Mill, Greetland
Built in 18?? It has been used for processing shoddy and mungo.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The mill is owned by Binns & Sons [2005]. It is currently used as a business centre, a bakery and by engineering firms

Brick Factory, Sowerby Bridge
A popular name for Lower Willow Hall Mill, Sowerby Bridge which was built of brick

Brick Mill, Luddendenfoot
Next to Cooper House Mill.

Owners and tenants have included

There was a fire here on 20th February 1930

Bridestones Brewery
A microbrewery at Colden. Recorded in 2008

Bridge Mill, Hebden Bridge

Bridge Road Works, Brighouse
Stand between Atlas Mill Road and the Calder & Hebble Navigation.

This was a corn mill [1850].

Disused in 1907 when it was shown as Upper Mill, Brighouse.

See Brooke's Mill, Brighouse

Bridge Royd Mill & Dyeworks, Stansfield
Spring Side, Halifax Road, Todmorden Steam-powered dyeing and finishing works built around 1868.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

The works were damaged by fire on 18th February 1878, on 30th January 1879 and on 25th October 1901

Bridge Street Shuttle Works, Hebden Bridge


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Bridge Works, Elland
4-storey mill built around 1870.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Bridgefield Mill, Elland
Stood alongside the Calder at Elland Bridge.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

On 21st November 1907, there was (possibly) a fire at the Mill

Bridgefoot Mill, Todmorden

Brierley Hill Quarry, Southowram
Beacon Hill Road. Part of a brickworks. The brickworks was demolished in the 1970s

Brierly Hill Quarry, Godley
The quarry eroded much of the northern end of Beacon Hill, as can be seen from Halifax.

The quarry is now disused

Brigg Royd Mill, West Vale
Aka Brig Royd Mill. Woollen mill. Stood opposite West Vale Methodist Chapel at Brow Bridge. Built on the Black Brook in 1870.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

On 24th July 1869, West Vale Fire Brigade tackled a small fire caused by spontaneous combustion of a heap of shoddy at the mill.

The mill was demolished in 1973.

A car park and toilet facilities Brow Bridge West Vale were built on the site

Briggella Textile Mill
See Abraham Briggs

Brighouse Corn Mill
Wakefield Road, Brighouse. Aka Kirklees Mill.

See Mill Cottage, Clifton

Brighouse Low Mills
Wool processing mill on the land between the Calder & Hebble Navigation and the Calder built in the 15th century. It was bought by John Armytage in 1571, and owned by the Armytage family until the 19th century.

There was a wire mill for many years in the 20th century until George Healey & Sons were flooded out in the mid-1960s

Brighouse Mill
See Rastrick Mill

Brighouse Mills, Mill Royd Street

Owners and tenants have included

Brighouse Quarries
Foldout looks at some of the quarries in Brighouse

See Quarries

Britannia Mill, Brighouse
Built at Baines Square by Samuel Baines. There were 2 buildings of 3 and 6 floors.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Britannia Works, Elland
Princess Street / Brook Street.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Britannia Works, Halifax
Northgate Yard / Portland Street.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Broad Carr Mill, Elland
Alfred Crossley is recorded here [1861-1869].

Bankfield Museum holds samples of wool, serge & worsted textiles produced at the Mill, together with orders from military groups

Broad Lea Mill, Elland
Dewsbury Road. Late 19th century 4 storey worsted spinning mill. It was an impressive 8-storey building.

It was owned/occupied by a Mr Crossley and was known as Crossley Mill.


Question: Can anyone tell me anything about the Mr Crossley?

 


Owners and tenants have included

 

In 1967, the windows, doors and roof were picked out in white paint, making the building a distinctive feature of Dewsbury Road.

The Gannex business closed in the 1990s.

The mills was subsequently used by several small businesses.

In 2001, Asda was refused permission to build a supermarket, bus station and 42 houses on the site.

In June 2005, there was a proposal to convert the mill into a hi-tech office space and create 349 apartments.

In 2009, plans to convert the mill into apartments and offices fell through. Pennine Housing bought the property.

In September 2010, Pennine Housing said it would be too expensive to convert the building to commercial use, and announced plans to demolish the mill for 65 low-cost homes. The mill was demolished by December 2010. The new development is known as Gannex Park

Broadbent's Foundry, Mytholmroyd
Formerly, Pickles Foundry, Mytholmroyd. In his poem Under the World's Wild Rims, Ted Hughes described the double row of glass skylights which came into view on his way to school. The Foundry was demolished in 2003 to make way for a New Health Centre

Broadholme Mill, Brighouse
Or Broad Holme Mill. Atlas Mill Road.

Built by Thomas Blackburn.

5-storey cotton mill with extensions of 2 and 3 storeys.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The building was destroyed by fire

Brockwell Lane Chimney, Sowerby Bridge
Rochdale Road.

Aka Mill House Chimney, Triangle.

45 ft high, octagonal, iron-banded, mid 19th century mill chimney near the junction of Brockwell Lane and Rochdale Road. For Rawson's Mill House Mill which is to the south

About 50 ft high.

The top has been restored in brick.

It was shortened in 2011.

It gives its name to the Long Chimney pub, and the Long Chimney, Sowerby Bridge section of the Rochdale Road.

See Long Chimney, Sowerby Bridge

Brockwell Mill, Sowerby Bridge

Brook's Brick Works, Rastrick
Rastrick Common.

Owners and tenants have included

The 3 chimneys at the site were demolished in the 1950s

Brook House Brewery, Mixenden
An advertisement of 1884 announced

On 2nd April 1884, Sale by Auction re Patchett Sheard on instructions received from the Trustees to sell brewers' loose plant, yeast tubs, piping, hop press, grey draught horse, chains, gears, etc., various brewery and farming implements

Brook Mill Fulling Mills, Wheatley

Brook Mill, Stainland
Built by Thomas Denton. A small mill with its own water wheel and dam fed by the Holywell Brook.

Owners and tenants have included

Brook's Mill, West Vale
Recorded in the 1850s and the 1930s.

Built on the Black Brook. A special leet took water from the Black Brook further west, thus giving sufficient volume and speed of water to drive the mill.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Brooke's Mill, Brighouse
Badger Lane, Brighouse.

Flour and corn mill established in 1826 at Bridge End by John Brooke.


Question: Could this be the same mill as that known as Upper Mill and Bridge Road Works?

 

Brookfoot Corn Mill
Built in 1???.

It was a part of the Shibden Estate and was required to pay an annual fee of £11 to Hipperholme Grammar School.

Recorded in 1661, when Brookefoote Milne – a water corn milne at Brookfoot – was occupied by Bridgett Scolefielde.

Jonathan Richardson was here [1800].

In 1805, it was bought by John Clay and William EarnshawClay & Earnshaw. They pulled down the old mill and built a new one for the production of woollen cloth.

John Brooke started work here.

It evolved into Brookfoot Mill

Brookfoot Dye Works
Built in 1807. It stood at Brookfoot and used the Red Beck to supply water for the dyeing processes and to drive the waterwheel. Later, this was augmented by water from bore-holes and by steam-engines.

In the 1950s, a large power generation unit was built to serve the works and the nearby Craven Dyeing Company.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Brookfoot Mill, Brighouse
Mill on the site of the earlier Brookfoot Water Corn Mill. It was built around 1860.

On 17th November 1863, the mill burned down.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

See Brighouse Woodman and Woodman, Brighouse

Brookfoot Mills, Brighouse
A group of mills at Brookfoot which included the businesses of

Brookhouse Mill, Ogden
James Akroyd of Brookhouse built a spinning mill here in 1805.

On 10th January 1829, the warehouse were destroyed by fire.

Owners and tenants have included

Brookroyd Mills, Holywell Green
Water-powered woollen scribbling mill built about 1795 for John Shaw.

In 1812, the Mill was attacked by a group of Luddites. Joseph Shaw persuaded them to break the waterwheel rather than individual machines and the mill was up and running again in 3 days.

By 1857, over 1,200 people worked at the mill.

The firm also imported tea from China. This was processed in a tea-blending room at the mill. The processing of tea ended around 1890.

The railway line was extended from Greetland Railway Station to serve the mills.

The mills were demolished in 19??.

The houses at Brookroyd Terrace were built for the workers at the mill, and those at Honeymoon Square for newly-married couples.

See Joseph Shaw and Stainland British School

Brooks & Pickup Brickworks, Todmorden
Rattan Clough, Portsmouth

Brooksmouth Mill, Brighouse
3-storey mill at Clifton Bridge.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Brow Bottom Mine
Several accidents were recorded here in the 19th century

Brow Bridge Mill, West Vale
Built on the Black Brook.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

See Onecliffe Mill, West Vale

Brow Mills, Hipperholme


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Brow Mills, Sowerby Bridge
Originally a corn mill.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Brow Pit, Ambler Thorn
Catherine Slack. 19th century coal mine beneath Swales Moor. The mine shaft, gin circle, spoil heap and tramway are listed

Brown's Mill, Hebden Bridge
A popular name for Mytholm Mill, Hebden Bridge in the 1980s when it was occupied by Fred Brown Engineering

Brunswick Mill, Hebden Bridge
4-storey building.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

It was demolished in 19??. A Co-op supermarket stands on the site

Brunswick Mills, Halifax
South Street, off West Parade.

The mill was earlier known as Savile Mill.

Worsted mills established by Thomas Smith Scarborough and his brothers.

Cousins Alfred William Whitley and Frederick Whitley Thomson had a card making business here.

In the 1860s, the mills were owned by John Whiteley & Sons when they were visited by the Prince of Wales.


Subsequent owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

In 1890, it was described as 5-storeys and covering an area of 13,000 square yards.

It later became Brunswick Industrial Estate

Bull Close Lane Works, Halifax

Burlees House Mill, Hebden Bridge
Hangingroyd Lane. 19th century mill.

It is now a sound-recording factory. It is the only early metal framed building in the district

Burley Mills, Elland


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Burnedacre Mill, Eastwood
Opened in 18?? In 1811, the mill operated 720 spindles. Demolished in 19??

Burrwood Mill, Stainland
Aka Burwood Mill. Originally a corn mill. In the 19th century, it was used as a woollen mill. In 1874, Samuel Magson and Samuel Cockroft, worsted spinners, leased the mill for a period of 14 years. It was owned by local farmers, the Booth family.


Subsequent owners and tenants have included

 

When fire broke out at the mill on 1st May 1869, it was described as a 5-storey building. Arson was suspected as a number of healds were found tied together between the looms.

In 2006, it was converted into apartments, Burrwood Court

Buttershaw Mills
In 1851, S. Bottomley & Brothers bought land of the Bretton Hall estate at Buttershaw and began to build the mills


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


search tips advanced search
search engine by freefind


© Malcolm Bull 2014 / calderdale@aol.com
Revised 12:51 on 24th April 2014 / m408_b / 122