Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Mills & Mines

A



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Acre Mill, Old Town
Built in 1859 by James Hoyle of Ibbotroyd.

From 1859, this was a woollen mill owned by the Hoyle family.

In June 1868, a large part of the floor of a storage room fell through, 40 tons of goods and materials falling on to the rooms below.

In 1907 it was a cotton mill.

In 1918, it was taken over by a Lancashire company.

In 1921, the mill was bought by the Dunlop Rubber Company Limited. They moved to Rochdale in 1932.

The mill was disused until 1939, when it was taken over by Cape Insulation Limited, asbestos processors. In 1970, Cape moved to Westmorland.

The building was badly damaged by fire on 17th February 1976.

Because of dereliction and the health problems posed by asbestos, the mill was sealed off and demolished in 1979.

The Automobilia Transport Museum was established in the former mill canteen.

The site has been landscaped.

In March 2010, permission to built a house on the land was refused.

See Acre Mill Memorial

Adamroyd Mill, Todmorden


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

In May 2009, planning permission was granted to demolish the mill and build homes on the site. In March 2009, the demolition men were in action on the site

See Adamroyd, Todmorden

Adelaide Works, Greetland


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Aincar Mine, Queensbury

Ainley Grange Mine, Elland

Ainley Main Colliery
Aka Ainley Top Colliery. 309 ft deep coal mine at Elland. Opened in 18??.

Closed in 19??.

There was a fatal explosion here On 30th May 1833, and a fire in 1842

Ainley Mine, Elland
Owners and tenants have included

Ainley Top Pottery
Started by Joseph Kitson in 1826

The Ainleys Fireclay Works


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Aitken Flat Mine, Elland

Aked's Mill, Halifax
Pellon Lane.

(Possibly) built by Josiah Aked [around 1860].


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Akroyd's Aerated Water Works, Halifax
Owners and tenants have included

See F. Crossley

Albany Spindle Works, Pellon
Long Lover Lane.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Albany Works, Halifax
Winding Road.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

See Albany House, Halifax

Albert Boiler Works, Gauxholme

Around 1875, Gauxholme Picker Works were built on the site.

See Abraham Crossley

Albert Brewery, Halifax
Sutcliffe Street, New Pellon.


Owners and tenants have included

 

Closed after World War I

Albert Cigar Factory, Halifax
West Parade. Tobacconist and cigar manufacturer established by William Hutchinson. He employed 6 men, 15 boys, 10 women and 1 youth [1881]. Recorded in 1905.

The business was at 22 Southgate, Halifax [1943] when they advertised their

Pyramid mixture

Albert Foundry, Halifax
Albert Road, Pellon.

Aka Albert Boiler Works.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

In 1911, Hartley & Sugden were served with a notice to abate the nuisance arising from the discharge of black smoke from the chimney at the works

Albert Iron Works, Sowerby Bridge


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Albert Mill, Hebden Bridge
It was destroyed by fire on 27th February 1879.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Albert Mill, Rastrick
Cotton mill. Built in 1862. It was occupied by Whitely, Garsed & Company when it was destroyed by fire on 16th June 1864.

In September 1890, John Cheetham & Son bought the mill for £400

Albert Mills, Brighouse

Albert Mills, Elland
Bank Bottom.

In the fire of 7th June 1860, the mill – then owned by Luke Crossley and referred to as Crossley's Mill – burned to the ground and was described as

21 yards long by 16 wide, and 5 storeys high. The bottom room was used as a blue dyehouse, being stocked with vats worth nearly //1,000. The other 4 rooms were filled with tumming machines, dules, powerlooms &c with a very fair stock of wool and shoddy


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

After it burned down, Smithies rebuilt the mill. The new 6-storey mill was lit by electricity.

This is the mill where Saddleworth Road gets very narrow and joins Elland Bridge.

Part of the mill buildings were demolished when Smithies closed down in the 1970s

Albert Mills, Midgley

Albert Mills, Mytholmroyd
Woollen mills. Built by Ratcliffe brothers, Squire and Joshua Ratcliffe.


Subsequent owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Albert Mills, Sowerby Bridge


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Albert Springs Brewery, Halifax
Brewery established by John Sykes at Boothtown.

Recorded in 1874. Bought by Webster's in 1877

Albert Street Mills, Halifax
Albert Street.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Albert Works, Halifax
Ward's End. The building at the junction of New Road and Horton Street was built in 18??

It was occupied by J. Brearley & Sons, boot manufacturers.

The building became run-down in the 1970s.

It was restored in 1990, and became Casa Arredamenti, furniture store

Albert Works, Hebden Bridge
Albert Street.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Albion Brewery, Warley
Originally the Victoria Brewery. It was owned by John Naylor & Company.

The maltings were designed Thomas William Helliwell [1876]. There was a 7-storey brewing tower and a 3-storey fermenting room [1886].

Recorded in 1907

See Naylor's Walk, Warley

Albion Iron Works, Halifax
Beacon Road.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Albion Mill, Elland
James Street.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Albion Mill, Halifax
Bailey Hall Road.

The mill stands alongside Halifax Railway Station.

They were built by Robert Crossley and were used for the manufacture of carpets.

Joah Bates invested money in the mill. This was lost when the mill burned down in 1791, nearly ruining him.

A fire damaged the mill on 30th April 1868.

Owners and tenants have included


Question: Can anyone confirm that Albion Mill was actually the Mill on Bailey Hall Road, which was occupied by Crossley's and Rigge & Hatton and damaged by fire in 1868?

Newspaper reports said that the damaged mill was owned by Evan Charles Sutherland-Walker

 

In 1880, Henry Edmunds installed electric lighting here.

John Mackintosh & Sons Limited, moved here in 1909 following a fire at their Queens Road site.

The Mill was demolished in ????

See Louis John Crossley and Lilly Lane Baths, Halifax

Albion Mill, Todmorden
Roomfield Lane/Halifax Road. Built by Firth, Howarth & Firth in 1835.

The chimney was blown down by a hurricane on 6th January 1839 and fell on the workshop of Lord Brothers in Canal Street.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The mill closed in 19??. It was demolished in 199?.

In 1995, a supermarket was built on the site and a planning consent condition was that it should be constructed using the original stone from the mill

Albion Works, Halifax
Square Road. Next to Square Congregational Church.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

See Square Works, Halifax

Albion Works, Hebden Bridge
Stubbin Holme.

Aka Stubbing Holme Dye Mill.

The property was built after 1851, and before 1905.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Alexandra Mills, Brighouse
Mill Royd Street. 5-storey high and 17-windows wide silk-spinning mill built by George Hepworth for Ormerod Brothers Limited [1872].

The mill burned down on 26th October 1903, and fireman Alexander Carmichael was killed on his way to blaze.

See Alexander Carmichael

Alexandra Shed, Wadsworth

Alexandra Works, Halifax
Preston Street / Francis Street.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Alhambra Works, Halifax


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

All Souls' Memorial Works, Halifax
Boothtown Road.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

See All Souls' Church, Haley Hill

Alma Mill, Walsden
Built alongside the canal at Hollins Lock, Walsden, by the Todmorden Commercial Spinning & Manufacturing Company, this was the first mill to be built in Todmorden after the Companies Act [1855]. The mill opened in 1856.

With the Cotton Famine of the 1860s, the mill was put on the market and auctioned at the Golden Lion Inn, and was sold to Abraham Ormerod & Brothers.

In 1905, the mill was occupied by the Walsden Mill Company.

The mill was demolished in 19??

See Alma, Cottonstones

Alma Road Wood Works, Halifax
Horley Green.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Alumex Works, Halifax
Engineering business at Water Lane.

The works were demolished in 2010

Ambler Thorn Fire Clay Works
See Parkinson Spencer Refractories

Ambler Thorn Mine, Queensbury
Stone mine/quarry.

Owners and tenants have included

 

Anchor Mill, Todmorden
Roomfield Lane (Halifax Road).

Owners and tenants have included

 

The mill was demolished in 2005.

See Feathers Mill

Anchor Pit, Clifton
Coal mine. Recorded in 1851

Angel Quarry, Halifax
Stannary / Birks Hall Lane. Recorded in 1907

Ann Street Printing Works, Halifax
Ann Street, Northgate.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Arch View Picker Works, Todmorden
Lydgate.

See Arch View, Todmorden and Picker

Archer Street Mill, Halifax
Paradise Street / Kent Street / Archer Street.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Arden Works, Halifax
Fenton Road / Summergate Street.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Asda Supermarkets
The company has outlets in the district, some purpose-built, other established in existing property.

See Battinson Road Mills, Halifax, Broad Lea Mill, Elland, Halifax Dairies Limited, Marshfield Mill, Elland and Thrum Hall Rugby Ground

Ashday Park Stone Quarries, Southowram
It was a source of high quality Elland Flags.

Between 1887 & 1956, it yielded fireclay.

Owners and tenants have included

An advertisement in May 1899 announced


ASHDAY PARK STONE QUARRIES

Quarries to Let.

Apply: W. H. Sladden, Brighouse.

Ashday Hall now undergoing repairs and can be divided for the convenience of Lessees who wish to be on the spot.

Stabling, Laithe and other outbuildings are also at liberty

 

See Ashday Wagonway

Ashgrove Mine, Southowram
Coal and clay mine.

Recorded in 1896, when (possibly) John Ainley was here

Asia Mill, Todmorden

Aspinall's Quarries, Hove Edge


Owners and tenants of the quarries have included

 

On 19th March 1867, a stone barer at the quarries, received serious head injuries by a fall of earth and was taken to Halifax Infirmary where he died 20 minutes later

Asquith Bottom Dye Works, Sowerby Bridge


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Asquith Bottom Mills, Sowerby Bridge


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

In 20th April 1903, the mills were damaged by fire.

In 1937, the mill was badly damaged by fire

Atkinson's Mill, Colne Bridge
Aka Colne Bridge Mill

Atkinson's Silk Mill, Boothtown
A manager at the mill died in the 1849 cholera outbreak.

See Boothtown Silk Mill

Atlas Boiler Works, Halifax
Gibbet Street.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

On 30th January 1875, there was a boiler explosed at the works

Atlas Carpet Works, Salterhebble
Sedburgh Road. Aka Atlas Mill Carpet Works


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Atlas Dye Works, Halifax
Sedbergh Road.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Atlas Mill Brewery, Brighouse
Established at Atlas Mill Road [2006].

See Black Swan, Brighouse and Tipp Inn, Brighouse

Atlas Mill, Brighouse
Built 1862 for Thomas Blackburn of Phoenix Mill.

5-storey mill – 120 ft long and 60 ft wide. 13 windows (50 yards) long, 8 windows (20 yards) wide

Built in 1862 for Thomas Blackburn. It was designed by Edward Bull. James Dyson was involved in the construction.

It stood alongside the canal on Atlas Mill Road, Brighouse.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

It was damaged by fire on 21st February 1873.

In another fire on 21st December 1898, James Arthur Nuttall died from injuries suffered whilst trying to rescue people from the fire. Other people who were mentioned in reports of the fire included

The Mayor of Brighouse opened a subscription list for the sufferers.

The fire stimulated much discussion about health and safety conditions in the mills, and measures for dealing with fires.

The Empire Theatre opened on the site

Atlas Oil Works, Halifax
Owners and tenants have included

Atlas Soap Works, Elland
South Lane.

Built by Samuel Dyson in 1885. Electric light was installed at the Works and at Dyson's home nearby.


Owners and tenants have included

 

The mill was destroyed by fire on 5th July 1924


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


search tips advanced search
search engine by freefind


© Malcolm Bull 2017 / calderdale@aol.com
Revised 12:49 on 13th September 2017 / m408_a / 52