Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Halifax Railway Station


In July 1844, the station for a single branch line was opened at Shaw Syke, Halifax.

This became the goods yard when the present station building was opened on 23rd June 1855 as a joint effort by the Great Northern Companies, the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway and the Leeds, Bradford & Halifax Railway. This was known as the Joint Station.

The building was designed by Thomas Butterworth of Manchester, and built by George Thomson & Company and completed in 1850. The platform was 236 ft long.

The décor included a rose motif on the pillars: red for those on the side going west to Lancashire, and white for those coming from Lancashire to Yorkshire.

In 1885, the station was extended by William Hunt, regional architect to the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway. At that time, the main entrance – originally through the old building – was moved to a higher level and the approach led into Horton Street. The forecourt approach to the station – a continuation of Horton Street – was constructed in 1886.

There were 7 platforms at the station. There were separate booking offices for the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway and the Great Northern Railway.

From 1890, it was known as Halifax Old Station, to distinguish it from St Paul's Station.

A Halifax Guardian advertisement for the Dining Room at the Station in September 1880 announced

HALIFAX RAILWAY STATION
NEW DINING ROOM & RESTAURANT NOW OPEN.
TABLE D'HOTE DINNER 2s.6d each consisting of SOUP, FISH ENTREE, JOINTS, VEGETABLES, PASTRY and CHEESE.
From 12.30 to 3 p.m.
Luncheon a la Carte.
Separate tables. Lavatory.
Ladies visiting the town will find this very convenient

GEORGE WHITE, Scarborough
Refreshment Contractor.
Only maker of 'absolutely' PURE GREEN GINGER ALE
(Prize Medal)

It was called Halifax Town in 1951, and Halifax from 1961.

The building is Palladian design with three pavilions joined by lower blocks. The plan is slightly curved to align with the railway line.

The station had 2 ticket offices: one for the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Company and the other for the Great Northern Railway Company.

The Coal Drops on Berry Lane are listed.

The Great Northern railway engine shed in South Parade was built in 1885 for the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Company & the Great Northern Railway Company. The building is listed.

The station today

The building of 1855 is the property of the Eureka! Museum for Children and has recently been restored. The restoration won the Railway Heritage Trust Award in 2001. It is not a part of the railway system.

The building – now known as The 1855 Building – is used as offices.

The public railway station has been reorganised and there are now only 2 platforms

Stationmasters at the Station have included


See Charlestown Viaduct, Halifax, Elevation of Halifax, Thomas William Helliwell, Horses at Work Museum and Lamb, Halifax



search tips advanced search
search engine by freefind


© Malcolm Bull 2017 / calderdale@aol.com
Revised 14:47 on 14th May 2017 / kk_201 / 8