Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

J



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Ja Je Ji Jo Ju Jx


Jack at Bog Eggs
[18??-19??] He was said to be the last handloom weaver in Wadsworth.

See Bog Eggs

Jack Bridge, Heptonstall
A single-arch stone bridge taking the Burnley road across the Colden

Jack Hey, Sowerby
Styes Lane. Mid-late 17th century farmhouse.

See Mary Wadsworth's Charity

Jack, Rev James
[18??-18??] Minister at Wainsgate Baptist Church, Hebden Bridge [1901-1906].

He lived at Cousinville, Wainsgate [1905]

Jack Royd
See Upper Jack Royd

Jack Taylor's Garden, Hebden Bridge
An area of land between Hangingroyd Lane and Valley Road. It was sold for development in 1902.

See Crown Bakery, Hebden Bridge

Jackman
Another form of the surname is Jakeman

There are currently only around 3 entries on the Calderdale Companion for people with the surname Jackman. This count does not include other forms of the surname. The individuals are not necessarily related to each other

Jackman, John
[1826-1856] He was Grand Master of the Halifax District of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

There is a memorial to him in Mount Zion Chapel, Lightcliffe erected by the members of the Odd Fellows Manchester Unity

Jackman, Robert
[18??-1915] Of Todmorden.

During World War I, he served as a Private with the 2nd Battalion Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment).

He died 18th April 1915.

He is remembered on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial [20] and in the Todmorden Garden of Remembrance

Jackman, William
[16??-1680] Heywood writes that
William Jackman in Halifax went to bed full of drink, some say with brandy, on Saturday night January 10th 1680, and in the night waked, distracted, raging mad, roaring, raging, swearing in a horrible manner that several men could not hold him, once he had got out his knife and made an attempt to cut his own throat, his daughter got the knife from him, though to the cutting of her fingers – he dyed on Friday night following January 16th, was buried on Monday January 19th

Jackson...
The entries for people with the surname Jackson are gathered together in a separate Sidetrack.

The individuals listed here are not necessarily related to each other.

Jackson
The surname is patronymic and means the son of Jack, a form of John.

There are currently around 66 entries on the Calderdale Companion for people with the surname Jackson. This count does not include other forms of the surname. The individuals are not necessarily related to each other

The Jackson family of Walsden

Jackson's: A. Jackson & Son
Tobacconist at 16 Woolshops, Halifax [1936]

Jackson & Casson
Architects, Land Surveyors and Estate Agents. They were at Silver Street, Halifax (opposite the Commercial Bank)  [1855]

Jackson & Clayton
Printers. They were at Ann Street Printing Works, Halifax and Roebuck Yard, Northgate, Halifax [1927].

Partners included P. Clayton

Jackson & Fox
Halifax partnership of architects Benjamin Whitehead Jackson and Charles Edward Fox.

They had offices at 7 Rawson Street, Halifax [1902] and Harrison Road, Halifax.

Their work includes

and a number of Samuel Webster's pubs

Jackson & Greenwood
Worsted spinners at Prospect Mill, Ovenden [1905]. Partners included William Henry Greenwood

Jackson & Whitaker
Worsted spinners at Luddendenfoot.

Partners included W. Jackson and W. Whitaker.

The partnership was dissolved in July 1856

Jackson's: Benjamin Jackson & Sons
Brewers established by Benjamin Jackson at Bradshaw Lane Brewery. Recorded in 1899 at the Jolly Sailor, Sowerby Bridge

Jackson's Court, Halifax
A popular name for the Moot Hall.

The name is said to be from Judge Jackson.

See Jackson's Court, Halifax

Jackson Feather & Company
Worsted spinners at Elland.

See Thomas Brenard

Jackson's: Jeremiah Jackson & Sons
Machine makers and engineers established by Jeremiah Jackson. They were at Der Street Mill, Todmorden [1877]. In 1905, it was called Derdale Iron Works.

See William Jackson

Jackson's: Peter Jackson & Sons Limited
West Vale Works, Stainland Road, Greetland

Jackson's Ridge
North of Widdop, at 1505 ft / 459 metres, this is the highest point in the western end of the district. Overlooks Burnley, Colne and Nelson in Lancashire.

Prehistoric flint implements were found here.

See High Brown Knowl

Jackson Room
In 1939, when the widow of Harry Percy Jackson decided to sell Morriscot, some of the panelling and other furniture was – reluctantly [as ever!] – bought by Brighouse Corporation and installed in the Jackson Room in The Rydings. The room opened in January 1940. It is a fairly well-kept secret, and not known by all the staff at the library

Jackson's Stores Limited
A 1900 advertisement for the business announced

Furniture, Carpets, Bedsteads, Boots, Shoes & Slippers, etc

5 Southgate, Halifax

Jackson William
[1653-1???] Of Halifax.

Son of William Jackson.

Baptised at Halifax Parish Church [8th May 1653].

He married Unknown.

Children: (1) Jo [bapt 1685]; (2) William [bapt 1687]; (3) John; (4) Mary [bapt 1693]; (5) Ellin [bapt 1696]; (6) Mary [bapt 1696]; (7) Rachell [bapt 1700]; (8) Thomas [bapt 1704]; (9) Mary [bapt 1711]

Jacob, Edward
[17??-18??] Halifax printer and publisher with offices at The Square. and next to the Saddle, Halifax in Petticoat Lane.

He married Unknown.

Children: (1) Nancy [1772-1834] who never married; (2) Edward.

He was dead by 1833.

See History of the town and parish of Halifax, Rev Dr George Legh, Moore's Terrier and William Winn

Jacob, Edward
[1772-1804] Son of Edward Jacob.

An obituary recorded

He had been 9 years engaged in the service of his country, had fought with Lord Gardner and Lord Duncan, and received a wound while employed under Lord Nelson at the bombardment of Copenhagen

He died in Manchester after a severe illness [October 1804]

Jacob Halifax
A publication described as
a local skit

published in 1871 by J. Simpson of Crossley Street, Halifax. It sold at 1d

Jacobs, James
[1840-1925] He married Elizabeth.


Elizabeth was the daughter-in-law of
Elizabeth Ann Fleming
 

The couple were buried at Lister Lane Cemetery with Elizabeth Ann and John Fleming

Jacobs, James Edward
[18??-1858] A printer at the Halifax Guardian.

In [Q2] 1849, he married Sarah Ann Bairstow.

On 5th May 1858, he was beaten to death by fellow-worker William Blackburn Dawson.

He was buried at Lister Lane Cemetery

Jacobs, Robert
[1863-1934] Born in Alderton.

He was a pewterer [1892].

In [Q2] 1892, he married Emma in Halifax.


Emma was the daughter of
Samuel Magson and widow of Thomas Bishop
 

They had no children

Jagger...
The entries for people with the surname Jagger are gathered together in a separate Sidetrack.

The individuals listed here are not necessarily related to each other.

Jagger
The surname comes from a jagger, an itinerant pedlar or drover of a packhorse team.

George Redmonds writes that John Jagher is recorded at Stainland in 1379, John Jagger is recorded at Elland in 1472, William Jagher is recorded at Stainland in 1545, and Jeremiah Jagger is recorded at New England in the 1630s.

There are currently around 50 entries on the Calderdale Companion for people with the surname Jagger. This count does not include other forms of the surname. The individuals are not necessarily related to each other

The Jagger family of Only House
They lived at Only House, Northowram.

Members of the family included Thomas Jagger

Jagger's: A. Jagger & Sons
Wholesale fish merchants established in the 1880s by Ambler Jagger and his son, John Henry.

They were at the Market Hall, Halifax and at Grimsby.

Other members of the family followed him in the business, including his son Ambler Jagger and his grandson Kenneth Jagger.

The business is still in Albion Street [2010] owned by a cousin of the family

Jagger Bridge, Greetland
Over Black Brook.

A mid-19th century white-washed stone slab against the south parapet reads:

DIVISION OF THE TOWNSHIP OF STAINLAND AND GREETLAND

and is listed

Jagger Dam, Rastrick
A pond which supplied water to Badger Hill Mills.

See The beck that runs through Rastrick and Spout Mills, Rastrick

Jagger Green
Area of Halifax, south of Holywell Green. Clay and coal was mined in outcrops here until the early 20th century.

See Shavey Bottom, Jagger Green

Jagger Green Hall, Stainland
Late 17th century house with later additions. It is dated 1703 TDM for Thomas Denton and his wife Mary. In 1886, Samuel Shaw bought the property. It is now private dwellings.

This is discussed in Ancient Halls in & about Halifax

Jagger's Limited
Stone quarry owners and agents, at Bank Top, Southowram. Established by Albert Jagger. They owned Bolton Quarries Herbert Mellor bought the quarries and land from Albert Jagger. Jagger's continue to work the quarries for some time afterwards

Jagger Park Wood
A part of Judy Woods lying in Calderdale.

The area may have been a part of the park – the estate – of Royds Hall

Jagger's: S. Jagger & Company
Worsted coating manufacturers at Fearnought Works, Halifax. Established by Samuel Jagger. Recorded in March 1892, when Samuel was declared bankrupt

Jail Hole Rocks, Walsden
Rocky outcrop near Gaddings Dam, Todmorden

Jails & Gaols

Jake Royd, Shelf

Jakeman
A variant of the surname Jackman

Jakeroyd Farm, Shelf

Jakstubynge, Shelf
Recorded in 1496,, when Laurence Bentley paid a fine for the Wastes of Longestubbynge, Jakstubynge and Little Pighill in Shelf

Jambu, Eugene
[1882-19??] Born in France.

He was a teacher of languages (employer) [1911].

Around 1909, he married Antonie from Germany.

The family lived at 26 Second Avenue, Manor Drive, Halifax [1911]

James, Rev A. R.
[18??-19??] Curate at Southowram [1911]. In 1911, he was appointed Vicar of Arksey, Doncaster

James, Francis
[18??-18??] First proprietor of the Gibbet Street Turkish Baths, Halifax [1874]

James, Rev Francis
[1830-1894] From Devon. He was a city missionary in London before becoming Minister at Warley Congregational Church [1865]. In 1882, he went to Canada, but returned to serve at Gorton, Lancashire

James, Rev J.
[18??-19??] Minister at Bethesda Methodist New Connexion Chapel, Elland [1868]

James, Rev John
[17??-18??] Of Halifax

On 28th July 1823, he, Rev Joshua Fearnside, Rev John Heap, Rev Jagger, Rev Edward B. Lloyd, Rev Zachariah Yewdall, Rev Matthew Lumb and Stephen Wilson of Holmfirth, were amongst the passengers travelling by The Fleece coach from Halifax to Sheffield which overturned near Shepley. Rev Sergeant of Scarborough died of his injuries. Edward Smith, the driver of the coach was accused of

wanton behaviour and shameful perversity, on account of the peril to which his furious driving subjected his passengers.

Rev James's ankle was crushed

James, Rev John Henry
[18??-19??] MA.

From Cornwall.

He was Minister at Cross Lanes United Methodist Chapel, Hebden Bridge [August 1897]

James, Joseph
[1???-18??] London architect who designed Square Congregational Church

James, Canon Percival Ernest
[1882-19??] Son of Rev D. W. James of Durham.

Born in Durham.

He was educated at Queen's College Oxford; assistant master at Durham School; chaplain to the forces in Egypt and Mesopotamia (during World War I) 

He returned to England then went to New Zealand where he was vicar at St Mary's Cathedral, Auckland, New Zealand [for 9 years], vicar of St Paul's Pro-Cathedral in Wellington, New Zealand [from May 1929], vicar general of the Wellington Diocese [from 1934], governor of St John's College and King's College, Auckland, and active in a Bibles-for-Schools movement before becoming Vicar of Halifax [1937].

In 1923, he married Unknown, the daughter of Sir George Fenwick

Jamieson, Rev Guy
[19??-] Vicar of Saint Thomas the Apostle, Claremount [19??] and Vicar of Southowram [19??]

Jane Crowther & Ellen Hopkinson's Charity
See Crowther-Hopkinson Charity

Japan

Jaque Royd, Shelf
Manorley Lane. Aka Jaqueroyd, Jakeroyd, Jake Royd, and Jaque Royd Hall.

Late 17th century house. A doorway is dated GBJB 1680. The original house had (possibly) been built by James Brooksbank and the Brooksbank family.

Subsequent owners and tenants have included

Jaques, Battye & Edwards
Halifax solicitors. Recorded in 1837

Jaques, James
[18??-18??] Glass bottle merchant at Elland.

In May 1863, he was declared bankrupt

Jarby, Mr
[17??-18??] French teacher at Halifax.

He married Sophia [1792-1853]

Jardine, James Willoughby
[1879-1945] KC.

Appointed in December 1923, he was the first Recorder for Halifax [1923-1931]

Jardine, John R. B.
[1859-19??] Born in Blackburn.

He was a solicitor at the Supreme Court [1901].

He married Unknown.

Children: Margaret Baird [b 1893].

The family lived at Till Carr House, Lightcliffe [1901]

Jarratt, Rev J.
[1???-18??] Perpetual Curate at Luddenden [1834]

Jarratt, Rev Robert
[1???-18??] Recorded in 1834, when he was at Carlton Place, Halifax

Jarrett, Rev Robert
[17??-18??] MA.

He was one of the subscribers to John Horner's book Buildings in the Town & Parish of Halifax [1835]

He lived at Newlands [1835] and Carlton Place, Halifax [1834]

Jarrom, Rev W.
[18??-18??] Pastor at West Vale Baptist Church [1874-1875]

Jarry, Alphonsine
[1823-1912] Daughter of Etienne Edme Jarry.

She was a governess and French teacher. John Lister was one of her pupils.

She bequeathed £600 and a portrait of her father – by John Horner – to the Royal Halifax Infirmary


Question: The portrait of M. Jarry has gone missing. Does anyone know anything about the portrait or its whereabouts?

 

Jarry, Etienne Edme
[1775-1858] Born at Versailles, France [11th December 1775].

He attended the Chapel Royal School where he was a chorister. He moved to Paris at the time of the French Revolution.

In 1814, he moved to Halifax.

He was British lace manufacturer at Woolshops, Halifax [1816]; Chapel Warden at Northgate End Chapel [1816]. He ran a French School in Halifax [1820s-1850s].

He was one of the subscribers to John Horner's book Buildings in the Town & Parish of Halifax [1835].

He married Sophia Millbourn [1792-1853] from Northampton.

Children: (1) a son who died in infancy; (2) Marie Louisa [b 1819]; (3) Alphonsine.

The family lived at 18/19 Aked's Road, Halifax [1851].

He converted from Catholicism to become an Anglican.

He died at Aked's Road

Members of the family were buried at Halifax Parish Church

Jarvie, Rev A. M. M.
[19??-19??] He was curate at North Gosforth, Newcastle before becoming Priest-in-Charge of Copley [1973]

Jasmine Cottage, Heptonstall
6/8 Towngate. Early to mid 18th century house. It adjoins Royd Farm.

The attached archway – leading to the Heptonstall graveyard – is also listed

Jast, Louis Stanley

Jastrz&281;bski, Thaddeus Theodore Slepowron de
[1862-1930] Son of Stephen L. Jastrzębski.

Born Tadeus Teodor Slepowron Jastrzębski in Halifax.

He was educated at Grove House Academy. He trained for the Civil Service.

He was a well-known statistician. Several of his papers were published in learned works, such as the Eugenics Review.

He was Clerk to the Office of the Registrar General (England) [1881]. He eventually reached the post of Deputy Registrar-General.

In 1890, he married Frances Elizabeth Thackrah, daughter of Mr Thackrah.

Children: (1) Norah [b 1892] who married [1920] Albert Wespi from; (2) Hubert Stephan [1895-1917] who was killed in World War I; Switzerland

He retained the de element in his surname, and his children did also.

The family lived at South Croydon, Surrey [1890s]; 102 Avondale Road, South Croydon, Surrey [1911]; Kingstonridge, East Sussex [on his retirement].

In the 1920s, he went to live in Switzerland for health reasons.

He died at Lausanne [6th July 1930]

Jastrzębski, Dr Bogdan Edward

Jastrzębski, Hubert Stephan de
[18??-1917] Son of Thaddeus Theodore S. de Jastrzębski.

During World War I, he served as a Lieutenant with the 24th Battalion London Regiment.

He was seriously wounded, and died at a French Field Hospital in April 1917

Jastrzębski, Louis Stanley
[1868-1944] Son of Stephen Louis Jastrzębski.

Born in Halifax.

He became well-known as a librarian and a supporter of the library system

Jastrzębski, Stephen Louis de
[1824-1???] Son of a Catholic father and a Nonconformist mother, he developed a passion for religious tolerance and freedom of thought.

Born Stefan Louis de Jastrzębski in Zebrzydowice in Austrian-occupied Poland.

He took an active part in the Polish Legion under the inspirational leader Louis Kossuth [1802-1894] in 1848, during the Hungarian revolution against Austria. After the Hungarians' final defeat at the battle of Temeszvar [August 1849], he fled with Kossuth into Turkey. He came to England in 1849 as a refugee.

He dropped the de from his surname.

He was a tobacconist at George Street, Halifax [1868], 4 Barum Top, Halifax [1874], and 3 Carlton Street, Halifax [1891]. The business was listed in Adjudications in Bankruptcy [May 1891].

He married Elizabeth Lizzie Morgan [1839-1918] from Franche, Kidderminster.

Children: (1) Bogdan; (2) Thaddeus; (3) Louis Stanley.

The family lived at George Street, Halifax [1868]; 4 Barum Top, Halifax [1871]; 36 Park View, Lee Mount [1881]; 3 Carlton Street, Halifax [1891].

He was dead by 1901

Jay, Ernest Sutcliffe
[1893-19??] Born in Halifax. Established Jay's Furniture Store.

He lived at 14a Clarence Street, Halifax [1936]

Jay's Furniture Store, Halifax
Furnishing business with a shop at 46-48 Northgate Building, Halifax. Established by Ernest S. Jay.

The Far East Chinese restaurant took over the Northgate premises.

The company closed in 19??

Jay House Farm, Clifton
Thornhills Lane. Philemon Aspinall lived here [18??].

This is discussed in the book Down the Acres

Jean Royd, Todmorden
Numbers 25, 27 & 29 Top o' th' Hill Road. House dated 1704. A re-used lintel is inscribed IER.

Now 2 dwellings

Jebson, Ainley
[1874-1915] Born in Huddersfield.

He was a wholesale and retail ironmonger and hardware merchant in Halifax Borough Market [1911].

In 1899, he married Sarah in Huddersfield

Jebson, Edwin
[1896-1918] Son of Sarah Ann and Frederick Jebson of 8 Matlock Street, Lee Mount.

He was employed by Standeven & Company Limited.

During World War I, he served as a Rifleman with the 16th Battalion King's Royal Rifle Corps.

He died 9th March 1918 (aged 22).

He is remembered on the Thiepval Memorial [II D 4] and on the Standeven Roll of Honour

Jee's Hartshill Granite & Brick Company Limited
Recorded in 1905, when their registered office was at 13 Ward's End

Jeff, Rev Henry
[1844-1897] Draper and silk mercer at 3 Old Market, Halifax [1871] and 16 Northgate, Halifax [1874].

On 21st August 1871, he married a widow, Elizabeth Waugh at Hanover Street Chapel.

He left Halifax and became an itinerant Methodist New Connexion Minister, serving at Stoke-on-Trent, Oldham, West Hartlepool and Sheffield.

He died 11th July 1897

Jefferies, J.
[17??-18??] Victualler at Rastrick.

In August 1817, he was declared bankrupt

Jeffery, Rev Allen Dennis
[1864-1932] Son of Sarah [née Allen] [1841-1875] and Mark Jeffrey [1841-1923], a postman

Born in Duston [1864].

He was Minister at Park Congregational Church, Halifax [1900, 1905].

In 1891, he married (1) Lydia Maria Mitchelson [1860-1908] in Staines.

In 1910, he married (2) Clara Elizabeth Briggs [1869-1949] in Royston

He died in Staines [28th December 1932]

Jeffery, John
[18??-18??] Partner in Swindel & Jeffery.

He lived at Southgate, Halifax [1845]

Jeffery, Rev Peter James
[19??-] Vicar of Siddal [1984] and Vicar of Sowerby Bridge [1985-1998]

Jeffrey, John
[18??-1866] Aka Mad Dick. A tailor from London.

In 1866, he hanged and mutilated the body of his 6-year-old son in a cellar at Neal's Passage, St Giles, London.

After the murder, he fled to Triangle where he changed his appearance and worked in cognito. On reading about the murder in the Halifax Guardian, he gave himself up to the Halifax police.

He was taken for trial and execution at Newgate, London

Jeffrey, Rev
[18??-19??] Congregational Minister.

He lived at 32 Parkinson Lane, Halifax [1905]

Jeffreys, Colin
[1941-] Son of Lewis Jeffreys.

When his father retired, the family transport business passed to Colin and his 3 brothers.

Around 1969, he left to start his own transport business, leaving his brother Maurice to carry on the business. He started by buying a removal van from Michael Heap. He subsequently bought out Morley Transport.

Around 1970, he opened the Discount Bedding Warehouse at King Cross Street, Halifax. He employed his brothers Kenneth and Stuart.

Around 1978, he expanded, opening the Discount Upholstery Centre in Lister Lane, Halifax.

In 1979, he bought India Buildings and opened the Furniture City superstore [1981].

In 1993, he opened Furniture City in Bradford.

He never married

Jeffreys Furnishers
Furniture business at Prince's Arcade, Halifax. Established by Maurice Jeffreys in 1963. The business closed in 1970

Jeffreys, George
[1889-1962] Welshman who founded the Elim Pentecostal Church movement in 1915. He visited Brighouse in 1935.

See Elim Pentecostal Church, Halifax and Elim Pentecostal Church, Sowerby Bridge

Jeffreys, Kenneth
[1940-] Son of Lewis Jeffreys.

On 31st August 1960, he married Madeline Hall.

Children: (1) Carol; (2) Lynda; (3) Wendy; (4) Peter; (5) Fiona

Jeffreys, Lewis
[1915-1999] He established the Jeffreys Transport business.

When Lewis retired, he passed the business on to his 4 sons.

In 1936, he married Winifred Regan in Halifax.

Children: (1) Maurice; (2) Kenneth; (3) Colin; (4) Ann [b 1947] who never married; (5) Stuart [b 1951].

The family lived at 3 Saunderson Street, Halifax [1936]

Jeffreys, Maurice
[1937-1986] Son of Lewis Jeffreys.

On retiring, their father passed the Jeffreys Transport business to Maurice and his brothers.

He established Jeffreys Furnishers.

Halifax businessman and Councillor.

He also owned a petrol station in King Cross Lane – opposite the Halifax Courier Building. He was unsuccessful in an attempt to obtain planning permission to build an hotel on the site.

In 1???, he married Sylvia Clarke [19??-19??] in ????.

Children: (1) Catherine; (2) Lisa; (3) Douglas; (4) Darren; (5) Gail; (6) Emma; (7) Matthew; (8) Anna.

The family lived at Upperfoot [1960s]; The Grange, Ovenden [1971-1986]

Jeffreys, Sidney Herbert
[18??-19??] Of Sowerby Bridge.

In January 1896, he filed a patent for

improvements in kitchen fire ranges

Jeffreys Transport
Business at Robert Street / Turney Street / Bank Top, Lee Mount started by Lewis Jeffreys.

When Lewis retired, he passed the business on his 4 sons.

In 1969, brother Colin left to set up his own transport business, and brothers Kenneth and Stuart subsequently joined Colin

Jellicorse, John
[17??-18??] Cotton-spinner at Stansfield Mill, Sowerby [1834]

Jenkins, Rev Nathaniel Llewellyn
[1873-1942]

Born in Llangadock, Carmarthenshire [1873].

He was Curate at Elland [1900].

On 18th Apr 1906, he married Jessie Beatrice Fildes [1869-1939] from Manchester, at St Marylebone.

Children: Elizabeth Llewellyn [b 1907].

He died Marylebone [9th January 1942]

Jenkins, Rev P. C.
[19??-19??] Minister of Heath Congregational Church, Halifax [1966]

Jenkinson, Ezra
[1872-1947] Composer & violinist of Hebden Bridge

Jenkinson, Geoffrey
[1878-1952] Son of George Jenkinson.

Born in Broughton.

He was educated at Crossley & Porter School; a cashier & commercial traveller [1906].

In [Q2] 1906, he married Ethel Potterton [1878-1948] in Knaresborough


Ethel was born in Halifax
 

[1???-1???]

Children: (1) George A [1913] who died in infancy; (2) Norman [b 1919].

The children were born in Braintree.

Ethel died in Poole, Dorset [28th Apr 1948].

Geoffrey died in Christchurch, Hampshire [27th April 1952]

Jenkinson, George
[1848-1880] Born in Salford.

He was a stock broker [1872].

In [Q4] 1872, he married Eliza Jane Sykes in Halifax


Eliza Jane was the daughter of
Miles Sykes
 

Children: (1) William Ernest; (2) Isabel [1876-1959] who married Henry Edgar Beton; (3) Geoffrey.

The children were born in Broughton, and all educated at Crossley & Porter School.

George died in Broughton [14th Mar 1880].

Eliza Jane died in Halifax [13th December 1905]

Jenkinson, Nathaniel
[1???-1???] He married Sarah, daughter of William Kitchingman

Jenkinson, Simeon
[17??-1835] Tailor of Southowram

Jenkinson, Thomas
[18??-1922] Fustian merchant of Hebden Bridge. He was a prominent local Liberal

Jenkinson, William Ernest
[1874-1960] Son of George Jenkinson.

Born in Broughton.

He was educated at Crossley & Porter School; a part of the family's oil cloth business.

On 20th October 1910 to Hilda Mary Crowther [1880-1974] at All Hallows', Almondbury.


Hilda Mary was born in Huddersfield
 

There is no evidence that they had any children.

The couple died at New Forest, Hampshire: William Ernest [11th March 1960]; Hilda Mary [] (aged 1974) 

Jenner, Rev Steph
[19??-] Minister at United Methodist Free Church, Clifton [2008]

Jenning, John
[17??-1810] He was a commissioned officer in the 11th Light Dragoons; an innkeeper [1810].

He died at Sowerby [April 1810]

Jennings & Briggs
Wine and spirit merchants at 91-93 Northgate, Halifax [1874]

Jennings, Bernard
[19??-] Local historian.

His published works include

Jennings, Captain
[17??-1800] Son of Stephen Jennings. In 1798, he built the Star Inn, Sowerby. He was the first landlord of the Inn.

He married Alice.

His widow married John Whiteley

Jennings, Mrs E. J.
[18??-19??] In 1905, she ran a girls' school in Halifax

Jennings, Ernest
[18??-191?] He served in World War I.

He died in the conflict.

He is remembered on All Saints' War Memorial, Dudwell

Jennings, F. E.
[18??-18??] Wholesale tobacconist at The Irish Roll House, 6 Northgate, Halifax [1865]

Jennings's: G. & J. B. Jennings
Wine and spirit business established by B. B. Naylor in 1797.

In 18??, the business was taken over by his grandsons and became G. & J. B. Jennings.

In 1890, their premises were at 93 Northgate, Halifax.

See J. B. Jennings

Jennings, George
[17??-18??] He married Sarah.

Children: (1) Selina [1811-1853] who married Thomas Naylor; (2) Elizabeth [1817-1899] who married Samuel Webster

Jennings, George
[1867-1955] Born in Halifax.

He was a woollen warehouseman [1892].

On 17th August 1892, he married Elizabeth Ann Shaw [1872-1938] Halifax


Elizabeth was born in Halifax
 

Children: Herbert

The family lived at 8 Smith Buildings, Blackledge [1911]

Jennings, Harry Halstead
[1848-1923] Son of Henry Jennings.

Born in Headingley.

He was a stone merchant employing 6 men and 2 boys [1871]; a farmer of 25 acres and quarry owner employing 9 men [1881]; a stone merchant [1901, 1911].

In May 1877, he married Sarah Ann Lumb [1847-1909] at Blackpool.


Sarah Ann was the daughter of James Lumb
 

The family lived at Cote Hill Farm, Southowram [1881, 1901]; Marsh Lane, Southowram [1911].

He was buried at St Anne's Church, Southowram [June 1923]

Jennings, Henry
[1800-1872] Born in Halifax.

He was a railway servant [1851]; a farmer of 14 acres at Cote Hill Farm, Southowram [1871].

He married (1808) Isabella [1808-18??] born in Burton Leonard.

Children: (1) Ada Jane [b 1840] who married [1872] Richard Hawkridge; (2) Harry Halstead.

The family lived at Morley, Leeds [1851].

He was buried at St Anne's Church, Southowram [December 1872]

Jennings, Herbert
[1893-1917] Son of George Jennings.

Born in Halifax [4th September 1893].

He was a bobbin carrier [1911]; a toffee worker at Mackintosh's [1916].

During World War I, he enlisted in 1916, and served as a Private with the 9th Battalion Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment).

He died of peritonitis. [12th January 1917].

He is remembered on the list of Mackintosh's employees who served in the Great War

Jennings, J. B.
[18??-1???] (Possibly) John Bartholomew Jennings [b 1850].

He was Chairman of the Halifax New Grand Theatre & Opera House Company Limited [1889].


Question: Does anyone know whether he was a partner in G. & J. B. Jennings?

 

Jennings, James Turner
[1853-1895] He married Mary Jane Stott


Mary Jane was the daughter of
James Stott
 

Children: Thomas James [1888-1897].

Members of the family were buried at St Luke's Church, Norland

Jennings, Jane
[1???-16??] She married John Power.

When John died in 1638, Jane became the second wife of Anthony Foxcroft.

She and the family moved to New Hall, Elland

Jennings, John
[1864-1???] Son of Charles Jennings, iron dresser.

Born in Sowerby Bridge.

He was a carter [1891]; a cart driver (coal merchant) [1901]; a cart driver [1911].

In 1891, he married Mary Elizabeth Wadsworth at Halifax Parish Church.


Mary Elizabeth was the daughter of
Joseph Wadsworth. She was a cotton reeler [1891, 1901, 1911]
 

They had no children.

The family lived at Wharf Street, Warley [where he was a boarder with his future in-laws 1891]; 2 Bradley Terrace, Wakefield Road, Sowerby Bridge [1901, 1907].

He was injured – back, knees and ankle badly hurt – in the Pye Nest Tram Disaster of 15th October 1907, but was treated at home. He was not travelling in the tram but was crossing the road when he was knocked down by the vehicle

Jennings, Jonas
[1781-1852] Farmer at Upper Marsh Farm, Southowram.

He was buried at St Anne's Church, Southowram

Jennings, Jonathan
[17??-18??] Muslin manufacturer at Sowerby [1806].

In May 1806, he married Mary Barrett at Bolton Parish Church


Mary was the 2nd daughter of James Barrett of Bolton (corn dealer) 
 

Jennings, Joseph
[1???-18??] Methodist preacher at Halifax [1833]

Jennings, Joseph Leeming
[17??-1???] He married Jane Dawson [17??-1???].

Children: Sarah [b 1824] who married Henry Haigh

Jennings, Olwen Jean Arlette
[19??-] Born in Lincolnshire. Lives in Todmorden. She was Mayor of Calderdale [2004-2005] and Mayor of Todmorden [1988-1989]

Jennings, Rev
[18??-18??] Curate at Cross Stone [1868]

Jennings, Samuel
[17??-18??] He and John Pickles were manufacturers at Higgin Mill, Luddendenfoot [1800?]. The partnership was dissolved in 1805

Jennings, Stephen
[17??-17??] A provision dealer at Sowerby. He supplied provisions to Sowerby Workhouse.

He married Unknown.

Children: a son

Jennings, Stephen
[18??-19??] Corn miller at Scaitcliffe Mill, Todmorden [1905]

Jennings, Thomas
[1755-1836] He was a tailor.

He married Sarah Mitchell [17??-1836].

Children: (1) Thomas [b 1807]; (2) George [b 1809]; (3) Samuel [b 1818]; (4) Jeremiah [b 1819]; (5) Mary Ann [b 1822].

The family lived at Old Siddal Hall.

Thomas and Sarah both died in a fire at Old Siddal Hall [1836]

Jennings, Thomas
[1807-1874] He married Mary Benn.

Children: (1) Leeming [1840-1906] who died in Wakefield Workhouse; (2) Elizabeth [1843-1926]; (3) Matilda [1848-1899]; (4) Benjamin [1836-1920]; (5) Lydia [1846-1899]; (6) Maria [1850-1919]

Jennings, Thomas
[1844-1904] He married Sarah Alderson.


Sarah was the daughter of
John Alderson
 

Children: (1) Clara [b 1864]; (2) Eleanor [b 1866]; (3) Isaac [b 1869]; (4) Edgar [b 1872]; (5) Louisa [b 1874]; (6) George [b 1867].

The family lived at Backhold Royd Farm, Siddal [1871]

Jennings, Wooller & Company
Auctioneers, valuers and arbitrators at Tower Chambers, Halifax [1905]

Jenny Wren
Pseudonym of Eleanor Gaukroger

Jepson
The surname is patronymic and means the son of Jep or Geb, a form of Geoffrey.

George Redmonds writes that John Jepson is recorded at Rishworth in 1402, Adam Jepson is recorded at Rishworth in 1430, Richard Gepson is recorded at Rastrick in 1492, John Jepson is recorded at Southowram in 1492 and Thomas Jepson is recorded in Halifax in 1672.

Jepson, Elizabeth
[12??-1344] Prioress of Kirklees Priory [1329-1344]

Jepson, William
[18??-18??] Chemist, druggist, dealer in British wines, and patent camphine agent at 6 Silver Street, Halifax [1845]

Jeremy Hill, Langfield Common

Jeremy, Rev Thomas
[17??-1???] He was Minister at Myrtle Grove Chapel, Eastwood for a few months in 1788 before moving to Uxbridge

Jerman, Rev D.
[18??-19??] Minister at Rishworth Baptist Chapel [1896]

Jerram, Rev Arnold Escombe
[18??-19??] BA.

He served at Wakefield before becoming Curate at Coley [1894]. He left to serve at Bradley in the diocese of Wakefield

Jerusalem Farm, Luddenden
15-acre estate at Luddenden Dean given to the town in 1945 by the Spring Hall Trust, for use as a camping and outdoor amenity site. The camping site opened on 28th August 1947.

The 36 acres of nearby Wade Wood were given in 1953.

A nearby sulphur spring was the centre of Spa Sunday pilgrimages in the 19th century

It is a local nature reserve.

See Jerusalem Lane, Luddenden

Jervis, Frederick Blackall
[1822-1???] Of Woking, Surrey. In 1854, he joined the Halifax legal firm Stocks & Macaulay

Jessop, Alfred Thomas Richard
[1837-1903] lsa, mrcs.

Son of Thomas Jessop.

Born in Brighouse [11th November 1837].

He was educated at Giggleswick, and Leeds School of Medicine; resident medical officer at Leeds Infirmary [1860-1864]; surgeon at Leeds Dispensary; honorary surgeon at Leeds Infirmary [1879-1890]; lecturer in physiology at Leeds School of Medicine; professor of Surgery & Practical Surgery at Leeds School of Medicine.

In July 1859, he was admitted to the Royal College of Surgeons

He was a surgeon at Leeds General Infirmary. He was a Park Square, Leeds.

In 1867, he married (1) Isabella Harvey Blackburn.


Isabella was the daughter of John Blackburn
 

Children: (1) Helen M [b 1870]; (2) Thomas H [b 1871]; (3) Isabella Wellesley [b 1873] who married [17/4/1895] Berkeley G. A. Moynihan, surgeon; (4) Maude [b 1874]; (5) Ethel [b 1876]; (6) Constance [b 1877]; (7) D'Arcy Stanfield [1879-1941]; (8) Gladys [b 1885].

The family lived at Roundhay Mount, Leeds; The Quarries, Leeds.

Isabella died 1893.

In [Q2] 1899, Thomas married (2) Eliza Walter in Southampton.

Thomas died 6th Sept 1903.

Probate records show that he left an estate valued at £10,000.

Jessop & Briggs
Blacksmiths at Brighouse.

Partners included George Beaumont Jessop and James Briggs.

The partnership was dissolved in March 1846

Jessop & Crossley
William Jessop and William Crossley built many of the locks on the Rochdale Canal in the late 18th century

Jessop, Charles
[18??-19??] Aka Charley. Of Brighouse.

He was president of the Brighouse Cricket, Cycling & Bowling Club [1891]; a local Councillor – see Brighouse Municipal Elections of 1893; a solicitor's clerk with Barber & Oliver [1900]; an attorney at 23 Church Lane, Brighouse [1906]; President of Brighouse Mechanics' Institute.

He was interested in local history. He published

  • Brighouse in the 18th and 19th centuries [1892]

  • A History of Brighouse Mechanic's Institute [1894]

He lived at 36 High Street, Brighouse [1908]

Jessop, Elizabeth Simpson
[1847-1867] Daughter of William Jessop, a grocer.

She married James Dyson

She died in November 1867, after the birth of their son, Francis Barrott Dyson

Jessop, Rev Ernest
[18??-19??] Minister at West End Congregational Church, Sowerby Bridge [1909]. In 1922, he moved to Morecambe

Jessop, George Carr
[1834-1904] Born in Hopton, Mirfield.

He was a woollen weaver [1857]; a fancy woollen weaver [1861]; a grocer & draper [1871]; grocer & draper at Bailiff Bridge Co-Op [1876?]; grocer at Wyke [1871/1872]; a grocer [1881]; a bird seed merchant [1891]; a seed & corn factor [1901]; founder member & deacon at Upper Edge Baptist Church.

In 1857, he married (1) Hannah Turner [1834-1877], born in Sowerby, in Halifax.

Children: (1) Turner; (2) Elizabeth [b 1860]; (3) David [b 1862]; (4) Charles [b 1868]; (5) Edward [b 1870]; (6) Ruth [b 1873].

3 of his sons followed him into careers with the Co-Operative Society.

George's wife Hannah died in Sheffield.

In 1879, he married (2) Annie Woodhead [1839-1????] in Sheffield.

The family lived at New Hey Road, Rastrick [1857]; New Road, Rastrick [1861]; Wyke Lane, Wyke [1871]; 336 & 338 Attercliffe Road, Attercliffe [1881]; 7 Douglas St, Rotherham [1891]; 12 Godstone Road, Rotherham [1901]; 72 Childers Street, Doncaster [1904].

He died at the Co-Operative Hall, Carr House Road, Doncaster [22nd October 1904].

Probate records show that he left effects valued at £108 15/3d. Probate was granted to his widow Annie and to Emily Ball

Jessop, Jonathan
[18??-18??] Halifax Councillor.

In 1850, he established a chemist, druggist and pharmacy business at The Pharmacy, 11 Corn Market, Halifax.

The business was taken over by George A. Parkin.

In [Q1] 1854, he married Elizabeth Forsyth in Halifax.

Children: Ann [bapt 21/3/1855]

Jessop, Richard
[1???-1???] Son of Richard Jessop.

He was active in the Sunday School movement in Brighouse

Jessop, Richard
[1757-1835] Originally from Low Mill. He was an important figure in the business and moral development of Brighouse.

In 1809, he (possibly) bought much land between Waring Green and Old Lane, Brighouse from the Gill family estates.

He married Unknown.

Children: Richard The Crescent, Brighouse

Jessop, Richard
[18??-18??] In 1857, he established a wood-working, upholstery and cabinet making and art furniture manufacturer at Union Street, Halifax. When he retired, Arthur Alderson took over the business.

See D. S. Robertshaw

Jessop's: S. & J. Jessop
Curriers at Halifax.

In June 1874, the partnership was declared bankrupt

Jessop, Sam
[1864-1943] Born in Sowerby.

He was an iron worker [1887].

In 1887, he married Harriet Ann Riley.


Harriet Ann was the daughter of
William Riley
 

Children: Amy [b 1888].

The couple died in Manchester

Jessop, Simeon
[1808-1878] Born in Brighouse.

He was a waterman [1834]; a currier [1861]; a master carrier / currier [1871].

He married (1) Unknown.

On 16th June 1834, he married (2) widow Sarah Greenwood of Halifax, at Halifax Parish Church.

On 3rd December 1837, he married (3) Mary Thornton in Dewsbury.

Children: (1) John [b 1839] who was a currier [1861]; (2) Alfred [b 1841] who was a mechanic [1861]; (3) William [b 1845] who was a tailor [1861]; (4) Thomas [b 1848] who was a wire drawer [1861]; (5) Jane [b 1852]; (6) Joseph [b 1855]; (7) Ann [b 1858]; (8) Mary [b 1860].

The family lived at Daisy Croft, Brighouse [1861]; 18 Dyson Street, Brighouse [1871].

He died [Q1] 1878

Jessop's Tailors Limited, Halifax
They were at 20 Southgate [1936]

See Aldam's Café, Halifax

Jessop, Thomas
[1807-1879] He was a solicitor; Registrar of births and deaths for Brighouse [1840, 1850, 1861]; agent for English & Scottish Law Fire & Life Insurance Company [1840].

He married Unknown.

Children: Thomas Richard.

The family lived at Church Lane, Brighouse.

Jessop, Turner
[1858-1920] Son of George Carr Jessop.

Born in Rastrick.

He followed his father working in the Co-Operative Society. He moved to live in Essex.

He was a photographer [1891]; secretary to Grays Co-Operative Society, Essex [1891]; clerk to the Education Committee in Grays, Essex [1911].

In 1884, he married Frances Emily Thompson [1857-1934] from West Hartlepool, in Orsett, Essex.

Children: (1) Frances Amy [b 1886]; (2) Nina Isabel [b 1887]; (3) Herbert Turner [b 1889].

The family lived at Grays Thurrock, Essex [1886, 1891]; Graysholme, Grays, Essex [1911]

Jessop, William
[17??-18??] Of Manchester. He took over from John Rennie as engineer with the Rochdale Canal Company.

See Jessop & Crossley

Jet Petroleum
Founded by a group which included Charles Holdsworth. The company was sold to an American concern in 1961

Jeudwine, G. P.
[18??-19??] Curate at Brighouse [1906-1910]

Jevons, Miss C.
[18??-19??] Recorded on 11th March 1916, when she had a secretarial school in Halifax

Jewish families
In the 1870s, there were around 20 Jewish households in Halifax.

See Henry Aaron and John Traczewski

Jewitt, William
[1???-18??] Methodist preacher at Todmorden [1833]

Jewson, Alfred James
[1872-1931] Son of Mr Jewson.

Born in Kings Lynn, Norfolk.

He was a gunmaker [1901]. Founder of the local gunsmith shop Jewson's.

In 1907, he married Emily Hargreaves in Halifax.

The family lived at 7 Vine Terrace, Halifax [1911]; Savile Parade, Halifax [1931]

Jewson's gunsmiths
Gunsmiths and fishing materials shop founded by Alfred James Jewson at 1 Westgate, Halifax [1905].

In 1999, the business moved to the former Wilson's hardware shop at the corner of Horton Street / Union Street

Jewson, William
[1824-18??] From Norfolk.

He was a domestic coachman [1871].

In 1855, he married Sarah Back [1833-1???] in Kings Lynn.

Children: (1) Henry; (2) Martha [b 1862]; (3) Horace [b 1866]; (4) Arthur Frederick [b 1868]; (5) Herbert William [b 1870]; (6) Alfred James.

Sarah was a widow by 1881.

The family lived at Middleton, Norfolk [1871]; Downham Market, Norfolk [1881]; 8 Hanover Street, Halifax [1891]; 3 Winter Street, Halifax [1901]

Jinninson, Mrs
[1???-18??] She ran a private school in Halifax [around 1870]

Jo, Tony
[19??-] Todmorden comedian. He was a member of the comedy group, The Grumbleweeds [1997]. He then returned to his solo comedy act and toured the UK. He is a popular afterdinner speaker

Joan at Bog Eggs
Aka Jone at Bog Eggs. Aliases of John Greenwood.

See Bog Eggs

Job, Francis
[1854-1933] Son of blacksmith Francis Job.

Born in Kenn, Devon.

He was a blacksmith of Halifax [1875]; innkeeper at the Bradford Hotel, Halifax [1881]; (possibly) landlord of the Craven Heifer, Halifax [1887]; licensed victualler of the Royal, Brighouse [1901, 1911]; (possibly) landlord of the Sun Inn, Lightcliffe [1???].

In 1875, he married (1) Elizabeth Oliver [1850-1906] at Halifax Parish Church.


Elizabeth, from Halifax, was the daughter of butcher William Oliver
 

Children: (1) William Francis; (2) Emily [b 1882]; (3) Fred [b 1887]; (4) Lily [b 1887].

In 1910, he married (2) Mary Oldfield [1857-19??] born in Hull, in Fylde, Lancashire.

The family lived at 443 Westgate Hill Street, Tong, Bradford [1891].

He died in Fylde

Job, William Francis
[1877-1950] Son of Francis Job.

Born in Halifax.

He was a professor of music at Halifax [1901]; a musician of The Royal Hotel, Brighouse [1902]; landlord of the Three Pigeons, Halifax [1905]; an insurance company agent [1911].

In 1902, he married Ada Jane Marsden [1878-1944] at Tong.


Ada Jane, of Birkenshaw, was the daughter of farmer Ned Marsden
 

They lived at 29 Smithy Carr Lane, Brighouse [1911]

Jobling, Rev George
[1???-19??] Methodist minister.

He lived at 6 Milton Place, Halifax [1936]

Jocelyn, David
[19??-19??] He was landlord of the Woolpack, Sowerby Bridge [1940, 1958]; landlord of the Noah's Ark, Ovenden [1958, 1962].

In [Q2] 1930, he married Ivy Wilson in Halifax.


Ivy was the daughter of Thomas W. Wilson
 

Children: (1) child; (2) child; (3) child

Joe Post
Popular name for Halifax postman John Milner

Joel House, Sowerby Bridge
The name given to Corporation Mill, Sowerby Bridge by its occupants, J. & C. Joel Limited

Joel's: J. & C. Joel Limited
Manufacturer of fabrics and theatrical drapes at Corporation Mill, Sowerby Bridge [2006]

John, 7th Earl
[1231-1304] John de Warenne, Earl of Warren, 7th Earl of Surrey, and of Sussex. Son of William, the 6th Earl.

In 1282, after the death of his sister Isabella – widow of Hugh de Albini, Earl of Sussex [1???-1243] – he assumed the title Earl of Sussex.

He strengthened Sandal Castle making it the chief seat of the manor.

In 1247, he married Alice de Lusignan, half-sister of Henry III.

Children: (1) Alice who married Lord Henry Percy of the Percy family; (2) Isabella who married John Baliol, King of Scotland, and was mother of Edward Baliol; (3) Sir William de Warenne.

In 1258, he took Henry III's side against the barons. In 1260, he supported Simon de Montfort, but went back to Henry III in 1263. In 1264, he was besieged by Montfort at Rochester Castle, and fought with Henry III side at Lewes, in May 1264. He escaped to France, but his property was confiscated by the barons in June 1264. In 1265, he fought at Evesham. In 1268, he was pardoned for his offences against Henry III.

In 1272, he took the oaths to Edward I. From 1277, he served in Wales, and built Dinas Bran castle. In 1296, he raised troops in Wales, and led them in Edward I's invasion of Scotland, and was appointed warden of Scotland.

In 1297, his forces were routed by William Wallace at the Battle of Stirling Bridge

John, 8th Earl
[1286-1347] John de Warenne, Earl of Warenne, 8th Earl of Surrey, Earl of Sussex and Strathern.

He had numerous illegitimate children but died without lawful issue, and was the last Earl of Warenne

John Abbott Ladies' Homes

John Almighty
Popular name for John Whiteley

John Ambler Trust, Halifax
See Arthur Thompson

John Fawcett Centre, Hebden Bridge
In 2009, Hope Baptist Church was refurbished and converted into affordable housing, a community café, meeting rooms, and the congregation area was improved. It was to be known as the John Fawcett Centre in honour of John Fawcett

John Mackintosh Memorial Homes

John of Halifax
Mathematician and astronomer born in Rastrick

John of the Holy Wood
Mathematician and astronomer born in Rastrick

John son of Essolf de Holdsworth
[11??-11??]

(Modern: John Holdsworth)

Son of Essolf.

He first appeared as John son of Essolf, when he witnessed a charter (undated) giving lands at Worsborough to Rievaulx Abbey.

This charter was mentioned in the confirmation of Henry II and so dates before 1159.

John appears in the Pipe Rolls between 1168 and 1185, as John son of Essolf.

On two occasions, he appeared as John son of Essolf de Holdsworth:

  • in the second gift he made to the cell of Woodkirk of land in Holdsworth

  • the gift he made to his daughter Eve and Elias de Rishworth of land in Holdsworth

He held lands in Holdsworth, Stansfield, Wentworth and Baildon

In the latter part of the 12th century, John became involved in a dispute over land with Agnes daughter of Orm de Holdsworth. The quarrel was settled by his granting an acre of land together with pasture for cows, sheep, goats and pigs, in Holdsworth, to the cell of Woodkirk and the canons of Nostell Priory.

His seal on the charter is a bird with wings displayed, head turned to the dexter.

He made another grant to the cell of Woodkirk of half a bovate of land in Holdsworth, which Essolf his father had purchased from Agnes daughter of Orm de Holdsworth

John made two gifts (undated but estimated to be c1170-1194)  to Monk Bretton priory, with the consent of his wife and heirs, of land in Wentworth and Thorpe [Hensley], with service &c. The witnesses to these gifts were: Jordan son of Essolf de Thornhill, Thomas his brother, Richard son of Jordan son of Essolf, William son of Thomas son of Essolf Michael and John his brothers, and others.

He married Unknown.

Children: (1) Eustace; (2) William; (3) Michael; (4) John; (5) Laurence; (6) Amabella who married Roger son of Warin; (7) Eve who married Elias de Rishworth.

Early researchers concluded that John died shortly after 1189 and that his sons died either before him or very soon after, without issue. The evidence supports this.

Evidence indicates that John's lands in Baildon were inherited. On his death the land passed to his brother, Richard, who gave part of it to Richard's son Hugh.

Sons, Eustace and William appear as witnesses to charters but only as son of John son of Essolf, they did not have place names.

His other sons appear only once, witnessing John's first gift to the cell of Woodkirk.

After this there are no records for the name Holdsworth until the late 13th century

John son of Richard de Thornhill
[11??-12??]

See John de Thornhill

Johnny at Pasture
[1???-1???] Aka Johnny o' th' Pasture. A wizard who lived at The Pasture, Heptonstall.

A local folk-tale tells how ...

Johnny was out walking on New Year's Day when he passed a cottage and asked the old woman there for a light for his pipe. She agreed, but shortly afterwards, a candle fell onto the woman's weaving and burned the lot. This illustrated that it was unlucky to let a light leave the house on New Year's Day

When Johnny died, there arose such a storm that trees were uprooted, and the roofs were blown off houses

Johnny House, Midgley Moor
Area of Midgley Moor

Johnson, Albert
[1???-194?] Of Todmorden.

During World War II, he served with the Royal Armoured Corps.

He died in the conflict.

He is remembered in the Todmorden Garden of Remembrance

Johnson, Amy
[1903-1941] Aviatrix. She addressed a meeting at the Victoria Hall on 18th October 1931

Johnson, Ernest F. P.
[18??-191?] Of Todmorden.

During World War I, he served with the Lancashire Fusiliers.

He died in the conflict.

He is remembered in the Todmorden Garden of Remembrance

Johnson, F. H.
[18??-19??] Bottler/brewer in Brighouse

Johnson, J. W.
[18??-18??] Surgeon of Halifax.

Recorded on 18th January 1870, when his case at Halifax Bankruptcy Court was adjourned for 14 days pending the production of a balance sheet

Johnson, Jane
[18??-18??] One of the children who died whilst working at Calvert's Mill at Wainstalls.

She died aged 12.

She is buried in a communal grave Luddenden Dean Wesleyan Chapel Graveyard

Johnson, John Buckle
[1862-1918] Born in Headingley.

He was a police constable [1890].

On 9th December 1890, he married Emily Oldfield [1864-1926] in Dewsbury.


Emily was born in Clifton
 

Children: (1) Herbert [b 1892]; (2) Evelyn [b 1893]; (3) Harold [b 1894]; (4) Percy; (5) Alfred [b 1900].

The children were born in Luddenden/Midgley.

The family lived at Town Gate, Midgley [1901]; 25 Bankfield Terrace, Friendly [1911]

Johnson, John William
[1809-1886] Born in Maidstone, Kent, where his father was the Schoolmaster Sergeant of the 13th Light Hussars. Brother of Thomas George Johnson.

He was with the 15th Light Dragoons, discharged by purchase [£15] in Glasgow [16th September 1838]; with the Yorkshire Hussars and an innkeeper at Chapeltown Road [1841]; Captain and Adjutant with K Troop, Yorkshire Hussars in Leeds [1843]; Retired Officer on half pay [1871] before becoming Regimental Sergeant-Major and Acting Adjutant of the Second West York Yeomanry Cavalry at the Assembly Rooms, Harrison Road, Halifax [1845, 1850, 1851]. His brother Thomas George Johnson followed him in the post of Adjutant to the Yeomanry Cavalry.

In 1838, he married Diana Watson [1802-1891] from Leeds, in Leeds. Diana was the widow of William Clegg who died in 1838.

Children: (1) Mary [b 1828]; (2) William [b 1831] who was a woollen merchant's clerk [1851]; (3) Maria Ann [b 1820]; (4) Frances [b 1821]; (5) John [b 1824] who died in infancy; (6) Ann [b 1825]; (7) John [bapt 1830.

The family lived at New Assembly Rooms, Harrison Road, Halifax [1851]; Hipperholme [with the Sunderland family 1861]; 7 Prestonville Terrace, Preston, Sussex [1871].

Living with them in 1851 were grandchildren Frances Catlow [aged 8] and Robert Catlow [aged 5].

He and Diana must have separated by 1861, as she was living with Jane & John Clegg at Woodlane Cottage Skircoat along with nephew Robert Catlow.

Living with him in 1871 was niece Haidee Johnson [aged 15]

John William died in Steyning, Sussex [1886]. Diana died in Halifax [1891]

Johnson, Joseph
[1898-1916] Born in Manchester.

Since the age of 13, he lived with George Willet, of Tuel Lane, Sowerby Bridge.

He was a member of Christ Church, Sowerby Bridge, & Sunday School; a member of the office staff at W. & R. K. Lee Limited.

During World War I, he enlisted [September 1914], and served as a Lance Corporal with the 9th Battalion Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment).

He was killed in action [7th July 1916] (aged 18).

He is remembered on the Thiepval Memorial [6A & 6B] and on the W. & R. K. Lee Limited: Roll of Honour

Johnson, Mr
[18??-18??] A Halifax surgeon.

He was at Harrison Road, Halifax [1867].

He was a witness in an incident involving a mislaid pocketbook on 13th September 1867

Johnson, Percy
[1898-1918] Son of John Buckle Johnson.

Born in Luddenden.

During World War I, he served as a Private with the 9th Battalion King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry.

He was killed in action [26th April 1918].

He is remembered on the Tyne Cot Memorial [108-111]

Glynn Helliwell has kindly compiled the following notes about this man


 

Johnson, Thomas
[1762-1814] Leeds architect who worked on Holy Trinity Church, Halifax [1795-1798] which is regarded as his best work

Johnson, Thomas
[18??-18??] Manufacturing chemist at Fly Laithe, Shelf [1861]

Johnson, Thomas
[1827-1909] Born in Beverley, Yorkshire.

He was blind after an illness [around 1880].

He was publican at the Bridge, Brighouse [1881].

He married Mary. [1838-1901] from Stirling, Scotland.

Children: (1) James [b 1868] who was a spinner piecer (cotton) [1881]; (2) Emily [b 1876] who was a cotton operative [1891], a cotton reeler [1901].

The family lived at Lillands Lane, Rastrick [1891]; 113 Lillands Lane, Rastrick [1901]

Johnson, Thomas George
[1824-1908] Born in Maidstone, Kent, where his father was the Schoolmaster Sergeant of the 13th Light Hussars. Brother of John William Johnson.

He took over from his brother as Major and Adjutant of the Second West York Yeomanry Cavalry. He was also in the 13th Light Dragoons and took part in the Crimean War when he rode as a Sergeant – and had his horse wounded – in the Charge of the Light Brigade. He was promoted to RSM a few days later. He became Lieutenant and Adjutant [May 1860]. He was further promoted to Captain (Instructor of Musketry) [May 1866]. He sold out his commission on 10th November 1869.

He was awarded

  • The Crimea Medal with clasps for Balaclava, Inkerman and Sebastapol

  • The Turkish Medal

  • The French Legion of Honour: 5th Class

  • The French War Medal
and is mentioned in Kingslake's History.

He is well recorded as organising funerals for members of the Yeomanry Cavalry including that of Sergeant Benjamin Burton Nagle, who also rode in the Charge of the Light Brigade.

He married Ellen [1835-1???] born in Manchester.

They lived at Ovenden House, Cromwell Bottoms (which would have been the property of the Edwards family), and Cromwell Cottage, Elland Road, Southowram, [1881].

He retired to Scarborough where he became Manager of the Royal Hotel.

At his home, York House, the Countess of Cardigan presented Thomas George with a painting of Lord Cardigan's charger and an engraving of Lord Cardigan leading The Charge of the Light Brigade

He died and was buried in Scarborough [1908]. Members of the Edwards family attended the funeral

Johnson, Wilfred I.
[18??-191?] Of Todmorden.

During World War I, he served with the West Riding Regiment.

He died in the conflict.

He is remembered in the Todmorden Garden of Remembrance

Johnson, Wilfred Isaac
[1886-1917] Of Todmorden.

He was employed at the slipper works of Barker Clegg Limited; connected with Roomfield Baptist Church and School.

In [Q2] 1911, he married Emily Hartley in Todmorden.

They lived at 9 Crossley Street, Longfield Road, Todmorden.

During World War I, he served as a Private with the 4th Battalion Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment).

He was sent to France at Christmas 1916.

He was killed in action by shellfire at Anzac Ridge, Ypres [19th November 1917] (aged 31).

He is remembered on the Tyne Cot Memorial

Johnson, William
[18??-19??] Partner in William Johnson & Company.

He lived at 9 Westfield Terrace, Halifax [1905]

Johnson, William Henry
[1???-19??] He was one of the first men in Halifax to enlist in the Great War

Johnson's: William Johnson & Company
They had business at High Level Brass Works, Halifax [1880?]. Partners included William Johnson

Johnston, Hannah Lætitia
[1808-1864] Only child of Lewis Farley Clogston Johnston.

She married Colonel Robert Stansfield.

She died 17th November 1864.

There is a memorial window for her and her husband in Saint Peter's Church, Sowerby.

See Major Johnston Jonas Foster

Johnston, Lewis Farley Clogston
[1???-1852] He was Chief Justice of Trinidad.

He married Jane [d 1842].

Children: Hannah Lætitia.

Jane died at The Breck, Sowerby and was buried at Sowerby Church.

Lewis was a passenger on the Royal Mail steamship Amazon which was lost on her voyage to Trinidad on 4th January 1852.

There are memorials to the family in Sowerby Church and in Trinity Church, Trinidad

Johnston, Rev William
[18??-19??] Congregational minister at Holywell Green [1905]

Johnstone, Rev Archibald
[18??-19??] Minister at Sion Congregational Church, Wade Street [1892].

He lived at Park Terrace, Halifax. In 1901, he moved to Richmond, Surrey

Johnstone, Joseph
[1???-18??] A clothier in Elland [1850].

He married Unknown.

Children: William

Johnstone, William
[18??-1???] Son of Joseph Johnstone.

He was a clothier in Elland [1850].

On 1st February 1850, he married Elizabeth Naylor of Elland, in Halifax.


Elizabeth was daughter of John Naylor, a clothier in Elland
 

Johnstone, Rev William
[1852-1910] He served at Kirkstall before becoming Minister at Holywell Green Congregational Church for 16 years [December 1894-1910].

He married Jane [1858-1928].

Children: Margaret Blaine [1882-1913].

Members of the family were buried at Holywell Green Congregational Church

Joiner Stones, Rishworth Moor
A rocky outcrop. There was quarrying here

Joint Railway Station, Halifax
On 23rd June 1855, a new Halifax Station – known as the Joint Station – opened as a joint effort by the Great Northern Companies, the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway and the Leeds, Bradford & Halifax Railway

Jolly Sailor Club, Sowerby Bridge
Savings club recorded in 1900.

See Jolly Sailor, Sowerby Bridge

Jonas, Charles Frederick
[18??-1976] Son of Frederick G. Jonas of Woldingham, Wood Lea.

On 1st September 1920, he married Edith, daughter of Arthur Walker.

Children: Pamela [b 1926] who married [1948?] Andrew B. Normand

Jonas Well, Halifax
A 19th century name for the Well of St John the Baptist, Halifax. The name may be a corruption of John's Well

Jones, Rev A. E.
[18??-19??] Minister at Lineholme Baptist Church, Stansfield [1930] and Upper Edge Baptist Church, Elland [1934]

Jones, Alfred Theodore R.
[1890-19??] Son of John Edward Rice Jones.

He was educated at Oatlands College, Harrogate [1901]

Jones & Son
They took over the business of Mr Burton as manufacturers of cardboard boxes for milliners, drapers, costumiers, bootmakers, brace makers, and wool manufacturers. Around 1880, the business was taken over by George Greenwood

Jones, Ashton
[16??-1710] Halifax town crier. The burial records that he was
well & dead in a few hours

Jones, Benjamin Rowland Rice
[1889-19??] Son of John Edward Rice Jones.

He was educated at Temple Grove School, Mortlake, Surrey [1901]

Jones, Rev Daniel
[17??-1???] Or David. From Glamorgan, Wales. From February 1783, he was Minister at Moor End Congregational Church [1783-1791].

Horsfall Turner records that

considering his social hilarity and drinking propensities, it is surprising that he remained [so long]

He was known as The Drunken Priest because he was frequently drunk in the pulpit. The congregation were often left singing, whilst he ran back to his home at Sandyfore to fetch his sermon. The Church records for 1791 say

He returned to Wales, and it is hoped, declined the Ministry: for he was a disgrace to it. He might preach virtue: but he practised vice

His wife and a son are buried in the Chapel

Jones, Rev David
[1819-1897] Born 9th January 1819.

He trained at Idle before becoming Minister at Booth Congregational Church [1842-1885].

In 1851, he began week-night services at Luddendenfoot once or twice monthly.

In 1859, Robert Whitworth & Company built Luddendenfoot Congregational Church and a dwelling house costing around £5,500 near their factory.

He lived at 7 Rhodes Street, Halifax [where he died 6th January 1897].

He died 6th January 1897.

He was buried at Booth Independent Church

He is mentioned in the List of Local Wills: 1897

Jones, David
[19??-19??] Player with Halifax RLFC [1968-1969]. He won caps for Wales while at Halifax

Jones, E.
[18??-19??] Partner in Calder Vale Machine Tool Company Limited

Jones, Rev E. A.
[19??-19??] Assistant Curate at Christ Church, Pellon [1935]. In 1935, he moved to the new district of Harrow Weald, Middlesex where
he is to endeavour to raise enough money to build a new church

Jones, Ernest
[1819-1869] Born in Berlin. Barrister, poet, novelist and Chartist.

He stood unsuccessfully as the Chartist candidate in the Election for MP for Halifax [July 1847]. He was later imprisoned. He had popular support and there were collections for him by many groups, including the Halifax Chartist Association. He received an enthusiastic welcome when he was released in July 1850.

In the July 1852 election for MP for Halifax, he stood as the Chartist candidate. Although he did well in the polls, he lost to Francis Crossley

Jones, Rev Francis Innes
[187?-18??] Curate at Elland [187?]. He lived at Ivy Cottage, Elland, with his sister. Later, she went to New Zealand and visited the Maoris to whom she read – via an interpreter – passages from the Bible

Jones, Rev Geraint V.
[1???-19??] Congregational minister.

He lived at 2 Milton Place, Halifax [1936]

Jones, Rev Harford
[1???-18??] He trained at Cheshunt College before becoming Minister at West End Congregational Church, Sowerby Bridge [1843-1847]. He lived at Thornes Cottage, Washer Lane [1845]

Jones, Rev J.
[18??-1???] Curate at Hartshead / Clifton [1886]

Jones, Rev J. Frederick
[1???-1???] Minister at Ambler Thorn United Methodist Chapel [1950]

Jones, Rev J. H.
[18??-19??] Of Sabden.

Minister at Shore General Baptist Church, Todmorden [7th October 1888, 1891]

Jones, Dr John
[1766-1827] LlD.

A Welshman.

He was educated at Hackney.

He was a Socinian minister at Plymouth; a Unitarian critic and scholar; a teacher and minister at Halifax [1798-1804]; Minister at Northgate End Chapel [1800-1803].

He wrote a Latin Grammar and a Greek-English Lexicon. He left Halifax and had an academy in London until his death

Jones, John Edward Rice
[1847-1915] Aka John Edward Rice-Jones Son of Mary Jones [1807-18??]. Born John Edward Jones in Bristol.

He became a Halifax attorney between 1877 and 1907. He was articled to Edmund Minson Wavell, partner in Rice-Jones & Smiths, and a member of Southport Town Council [1907].


Question: It is possible that he added Rice to his name after his marriage. Can anyone confirm his wife's maiden name and/or the date of the marriage?

 

He married Elizabeth H. [1861-19??].

Children: (1) Benjamin Rowland R; (2) Alfred Theodore R.

The family lived at Pembroke House, Halifax (with his widowed mother) [1881]; 9 Balmoral Place, Halifax [1891]; The Gables, Halifax [1901]; Hesketh Road, Southport [1915].

He died at Southport and was buried there

Jones, John Robert
[1861-19??] Born in Cardigan, New Quay.

He was a schoolmaster [1891].

He married Annie, daughter of Richard Cockcroft.

Children: (1) Vera Grace [1885-1972] who was a confectioner's apprentice with Sarah & Ann Gibson in Elland [1901] and married Frederick Bardsley; (2) John H [b 1887]; (3) Sarah Evelyn [b 1890]; (4) Richard H J [b 1893].

The family lived at Denton, Durham [1891]; Liverpool [1911].

Living with the widowed Annie in 1911, were her 2 youngest children and daughter Vera Grace Bardsley and family

Jones, John Roberts
[1800-1849] Physician and surgeon at Brighouse [1840].

He lived at New Road, Brighouse [1845]

He was buried at St Martin's Church, Brighouse

Jones, Mr
[16??-16??] Curate at Rastrick [1656-1658]

Jones, Philip E.
[18??-1???] Of Halifax.

A Baptist preacher.

He was popular in Norland where he was known as the Bishop of Norland.

Recorded in June 1896, when he preached at a celebration of the founding of Bethel Baptist Chapel, Norland

Jones, Rachel
[1835-18??] One of those who were injured in the Explosion at Lilly Lane Mill, Halifax [1850].

In 1851 she was living at 12 Bath Parade, Halifax which appears to be a lodging house, rather than the Bath Street Tavern at that time. The entry for Rachel records

Invalid. Worked in Firth's Mill & when it fell [she was] buried in the ruins for 5 hours

Jones, Shepherd & Winterburn
Brighouse wood workers established around 1873. Partners included Alfred Shepherd. In 1876, Shepherd left to set up in business alone

Jones, Thomas
[18??-18??] A collier.

In December 1868, he was arrested at Brighouse on suspicion of burglary at the farm of Mr Houghton, near Wigan, and for the murder of Houghton's daughter.

A reward of £100 had been offered for the apprehension of the murderer

Jones vs Greenwood
In March 1882, Miss Bessie Jones of Hebden Bridge sued Mr Greenwood, a corn merchant, for breach of promise. Miss Jones lived with her sister and worked in the tailoring trade.

She met Mr Greenwood in April 1880 on the tram going from Halifax to Hebden Bridge. He went home with her and stayed for half an hour. There was subsequently a proposal of marriage, and in July they went to Blackpool to get married, but there was a delay and this did not happen. The couple lived together and a child was born. At the hearing, the evidence was said to be far from satisfactory

Jones, Rev W.
[18??-19??] Pastor at Hebden Bridge Baptist Church [1896]

Jones, Walter Adam
[19??-19??] Of The Breck, Triangle, Halifax. He was a Director of Paton & Baldwin Limited [1949]

Jones, Rev William
[18??-19??] He was master of a Board School at Bradford, and served at Leeds Road Baptist Chapel in Bradford before becoming Minister at Hope Baptist Church, Hebden Bridge [1891-1906].

He was active in local and international social issues and promoted the Nursing Association; Chairman of the Hebden Bridge School Board; organiser of the local Free Church Council.

He lived at Hope House, Hebden Bridge [1905]

Jones, William Cornelius
[1905-1927] In July 1926, he shot his estranged wife, Winnifred, at Crib Lane, Dean Clough – the Crib Lane murder He was hanged at Armley jail on January 7th 1927

Jordan, Dorothy
[19??-] She was Mayor of Todmorden [2001-2002]

Jordan, John
[18??-18??] He was Medical Officer for Ovenden [1845]

Jordan son of Essolf de Thornhill
[11??-1194]

(Modern: Jordan Thornhill)

Son of Essolf

He was founder of the Thornhill Family.

He was a Knight.

He held extensive lands by inheritance throughout Sowerbyshire, including in Barkisland, Norland, Ovenden, Rawtenstall, Rishworth, Skircoat, Stansfield, and Wadsworth.

He also held lands in Thornhill, Hunsworth and Bierley.

He was a friend and follower of Thomas Becket.

Becket was murdered on 29th December 1170. Some years later, a miracle was said to have taken place when Jordan's son William died and was brought back to life after Jordan and his wife prayed to St Thomas Becket.

About 1170, Hamelin Plantagenet, Earl Waren and owner of the Manor of Wakefield, confirmed to Jordan his (Jordan's) inheritance in Sowerbyshire. After this confirmation Jordan granted a quarter of his land in Sowerbyshire to his brother Helias.

Jordan was appointed Constable of Wakefield [1174].

He married Unknown.

Children: (1) Richard; (2) Jordan; (3) son; (4) William; (5) (possibly) Helen; (6) (possibly) Juliana; (7) (possibly) Malgor; (8) (possibly) Goditha.

See 12th Century Names

Jordan, Thomas
[18??-19??] Of Albany Chambers, Halifax. He wrote several poems for local newspapers

Joseph Crossley's Almshouses, Arden Road

Josephus
Pen-name under which Joseph Sugden wrote for the Halifax Courier

Journals & Diaries

Journals of Anne Lister
Anne Lister kept a diary from her days at boarding school in 1806 – when she was 15 – for the rest of her life. These give a detailed account of Anne's life and loves in Halifax. She made the last entry on 11th August 1840, shortly before her death in Russia.

See Books about Anne Lister and Savile Hall, Halifax

Jowett, Alfred Henry
[1880-1920] Born in Elland.

He was a teamer (general carrier) [1911].

On 30th June 1907, he married Mary Hannah Whiteley [1880-1967] at Elland Parish Church.

Children: John Leslie [b 1909].

The family lived at 5 Northgate, Elland [1911]; 3 Northgate, Elland [1920].

Living with them in 1911 was Arthur Brook [b 1879] (a teamer railway company) 

During World War I, he served as a Driver with the "C" 555 Royal Army Service Corps.

He died 20th December 1920.

Alfred Henry were buried at Elland Cemetery. Mary Hannah and her sister Alice Whiteley are remembered on a stone at the foot of Alfred Henry's grave

Jowett & Sowry
Printers, stationers and lithographers. They were at

and also at Leeds.

The business closed in the 1990s

Jowett, Ann
[1786-1865] Or Jowitt. Daughter of Joseph J. Jowitt, a Leeds woolstapler, and Grace Firth, of the Firth family of Rastrick.

She married Joseph Fryer

Jowett, Arnold
[1896-1916] Son of George Jowett.

Born in Elland.

He was a clerk [1915].

During World War I, he enlisted in Elland [5th December 1915], and served as a Private with the Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment).

He was mobilised [25th January 1916] and was held in reserve until 18th May 1916 when he embarked from Folkestone. He joined the 9th Battalion in the field [27th May 1916].

He was killed in action [6th November 1916].

He is remembered on the Thiepval Memorial [6A & 6B]

Jowett, Bernard
[1896-1916] Son of John William Jowett.

He was a pony driver (colliery) [1911].

During World War I, he enlisted when War broke out, and served as a Private with the 8th Battalion York & Lancaster Regiment.

He was killed in action [1st July 1916] (aged 20).

He is remembered on the Thiepval Memorial [14A & 14B]

Jowett, Edwin
[18??-19??] Of Bradford.

On 24/9/1902, he married Alice Martha Louisa, daughter of Joshua Hall at Saint Matthew's Church, Lightcliffe

Jowett, Fred
[1875-19??] Born in Illingworth.

He was delver of Slack Field, Ovenden [1895]; a labourer with William Woodhead & Company, New Bank, Halifax [1896]; a retired engineer's labourer [1901]; formerly blacksmith labourer [1911].

In 1895, he married Elizabeth Sharpe [1869-1???] in Halifax.


Elizabeth, of Laurel Bank, Ovenden, was the daughter of late carter John Sharp
 

Children: (1) Elsie [b 1896] who was a worsted spinner [1901]; (2) Sarah Ann [b 1904].

The family lived at Holdsworth, Holmfield [1897]; 5 Laurel Bank, Holdsworth, Halifax [1901, 1901].

On 19th February 1897, he was working at William Woodhead & Company, New Bank, Halifax – where he had worked for 5 months – when he became caught in shafting and both his hands were wrenched off.

Over 12,000 public subscriptions were collected to support the family, and Woodhead's and Woodhead's workers gave generously. They collected enough to provide him with 1 guinea week for life. Using figures for average earnings, £1 1/- in 1897 is roughly the equivalent of £379.00 today.

A few months later, the fund provided him with artificial arms

Jowett, George
[1843-1???] Born in Youlgreave, Derbyshire.

He was landlord of the New Inn, Sowerby Bridge [1891, 1894].

He married Caroline [1850-1???].


Caroline was born in Elland
 

Children: Charles Harry [b 1886]

Jowett, George
[1869-1937] Born in Halifax

He was a hairdresser [1895] with his own hairdressing shop at 28 Northgate, Elland.

In 1895, he married (1) Harriet Burgin [1871-1919] in Halifax.


Harriet was born in Wombwell
 

Children: (1) Arnold; (2) Margaret Irene [1909-1978] who never married.

Harriet died at Northgate, Elland [1919].

In 27th July 1920, he married (2) Elizabeth Gedney [1888-1970].


Elizabeth was born in Barnsley
 

Children: (3) Dorothy [1921-1962]; (4) Winifred [b 1924]

Jowett, Rev George Thomas
[18??-19??] MA.

He was educated at Queens College Oxford; head master at Grace Ramsden's Endowed School; ordained at Ripon [24th September 1882]. before becoming Perpetual Curate of Saint John the Evangelist, West Vale [3rd August 1886], Vicar of Saint James's Church, Halifax [1892], Vicar of Coley [1901-1926], and Visiting Master at Hipperholme Grammar School.

In 1917, he was an executor of John Graham Wheelwright

Jowett, Isaac
[1773-1845] He married Judy Barraclough in 1833

Jowett's: J. H. Jowett
Their Unique Boot Stores were at King Cross, Halifax [1900]

Jowett, John
[17??-18??] In 1807, he married Nancy Sharp at Coley Church.

Children: Dinah [1815-1894] who married Charles Clark

Jowett, John
[18??-18??] Around 1862, a group who had left the Methodists on account of doctrinal differences, began to worship at his house in Sowerby Bridge. In 1863, they used a barn at Pickwood Scar which had been offered by Mr Standeven. On 25th March 1864, 10 members of the group of 11 were baptised and they established a Baptist church. In October 1864, they opened Norland Baptist Church

Jowett, John
[1813-1895] Of Southowram.

He married Sarah [1813-1907].

Children: Mary Anna [1857-1858].

Members of the family were buried at Mount Zion Chapel, Lightcliffe

Jowett, Dr John Henry
[1864-1923] MA.

Born in Halifax. He was educated at Hipperholme Grammar School. Rev Dr Enoch Mellor of the Square Congregational Church, Halifax taught him public speaking. He was going to work as a solicitor's clerk in Halifax, but he at the age of 18 he began theological training at Airedale College. A Brown scholarship enabled him to go to Edinburgh. He also trained at Mansfield College Oxford, and subsequently served in Newcastle [1889] and Birmingham [1895].

In 1909, he went to America to address a Conference. He preached at the Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church in New York and was invited to become their pastor. After several repeat invitations – and a petition with around 1,500 signatures from his church in England asking him to return home – he took the American post in 1911. His sermons were very popular.

He married Unknown, the daughter of Francis Winpenny of Barnard Castle.

Children: a daughter.

In 1917, he returned to England to become Minister at Westminster Chapel, London. In 1922, he gave up preaching because of ill health

Arthur Porritt's wrote a biography entitled John Henry Jowett.

Jowett, John Marshall
[1816-1898] Of Leeds. Son of Samuel Jowett.

He married Mary Stevens [1810-1886].

Children: (1) William H [b 1836]; (2) Mary Jane [b 1841]; (3) John Samuel; (4) Sarah Proctor [b 1845]; (5) Joshua [b 1847]; (6) Edwin Armstrong [b 1849]; (7) Eva [b 1853] who married Arthur Oldfield.

He was a follower of Joanna Southcott

Jowett, John Samuel
[1843-1930] Son of John Marshall Jowett.

Born in Leeds.

Of Bradford and Brighouse.

He was a printer, stationer and publisher at Commercial Street, Brighouse [1874].

He published Jowett's Railway Guide and Monthly Diary, the Brighouse News, the Brighouse News Time Table And Advertiser, and the Buzzer and several books, including Horsfall Turner's editions of Independency at Brighouse and The Northowram Nonconformist Register.

His sister Eva married Arthur Oldfield

He married Mary Stevens [1810-1886].

Children: (1)  stillborn twins; (2) Mary; (3) Amy [b 1872]; (4) Ellen [b 1874]; (5) Elvina [b 1875]; (6) Edwin [b 1876]; (7) William [b 1877]; (8) John [b 1878]; (9) Frank [b 1881]; (10) Elizabeth [b 1883]; (11) Annie [b 1885]; (12) Florence [b 1888]

Jowett, John William
[1870-19??] Born in Norland.

He was a railway engine stoker [1901]; a tripe dresser [1911].

In 1895, he married Priscilla Amelia Hitchen [1871-19??] in Halifax.


Priscilla was born in Sowerby Bridge
 

Children: Bernard.

The family lived at Sowerby New Road, Sowerby Bridge; 6 Sowerby Croft Road, Sowerby Bridge [1901]; 60 Carlisle Street, Mexborough [1911]; 31 York Street, Mexborough [1916]

Jowett, Jonathan
[1???-18??] He married Martha [1801-1877]

Children: Mary [d 1864].

Members of the family were buried at Bethel Methodist Chapel, Shelf

Jowett, Mary
[1870-1953] Daughter of John Samuel Jowett. Born in Brighouse.

She married Arthur Butterfield Brook

Jowett, Miss
[18??-18??] In 1865, she took the lease on Warley Grammar School following Miss McKay

Jowett's: S. Jowett
Brighouse construction business. On 13th October 1890, their tender was accepted for constructing Cold Acre Reservoir, Stainland

Jowett, Samuel
[1785-1875] Son of William Jowett.

Born in Northowram.

He went to live in Leeds [1841].

He married Mary [1785-1853].

Children: (1) Mercy Joanna [1814-1870]; (2) John Marshall; (3) Mary [b 1821]; (4) Joshua [b 1826]; (5) Martha Eliza [b 1827]; (6) Emily [b 1828].

He was a follower of Joanna Southcott

Jowett, Sydney
[18??-1???] Wool and waste dealer at Hay's Mill, Mixenden [1881]

Jowler
District between Wainstalls and Luddenden.

The name is recorded in 1849.


Question: Does anyone know the origin of the name? Any suggestions?

 

Joy, Harry
[1870-1931] Born in Dewsbury.

He was property master at the Theatre Royal, Halifax [1893]; a confectioner [1909].

In 1892, he married (1) Eleanor Mary Marsden in Dewsbury.

Children: Ethel [1893-1980].

In [Q3] 1907, he married (2) Emily in Halifax.


Emily was the widow of Walter Hollas
 

Children: Ivy [1909-1982] who married Reginald Corrigan.

The family lived at Cheapside, Greetland.

He died in Wharfedale

Joy, Thomas
[1831-1888] Of Brighouse.

He married Frances [1846-1897].

Children: (possibly) Thomas [1885-1956] who married Annie [1886-1961].

Frances was buried at St John's Church, Langcliffe. She is remembered on the family grave at Brighouse Cemetery.

Members of the family were buried at Brighouse Cemetery

Joy, Thomas (Tommy)
[19??-19??] In the 1970s, he ran a pram and cycle shop in Briggate, Brighouse. It was one of a number of business – along with G. E. Young's Universal Radio & Cycle Company and the Grand Clothing Hall – in the building which was erected in 18??.

He was later in Park Street, Brighouse.

The business was later taken over by Gerald Tiplady

Joyett, Benjamin
[17??-18??] Of Mixenden Ings.

Recorded in 1820, when he leased property in Ovenden from John Akroyd, the younger, an Ovenden farmer. The property included The Sun Bank and adjoining land

Joynes, Herbert
[18??-19??] Of Margate Street, Sowerby Bridge.

He was injured – a scalp wound – in the Pye Nest Tram Disaster of 15th October 1907, but was treated at home

Jubb, Dr Abraham
[1789-1847] Born in Yorkshire.

He was surgeon at Cheapside, Halifax [1816]; surgeon at 41 Northgate, Halifax [1829]; senior surgeon at Halifax Infirmary; surgeon at 6 Lord Street, Halifax [1837].

He trained with John Hugh Kershaw.

On 29th December 1814, he married Deborah Norminton [1789-1852] in Halifax.

The couple were buried at Holy Trinity Church, Halifax

Jubb, Dr Abraham
[1824-1906] MRCS.

He was Medical practitioner in Halifax [1895]; Senior surgeon to the Halifax Infirmary & Dispensary [1895]. He served in the 2nd West Yorkshire Yeoman Cavalry.

In 1849, he married Hannah Phillis Ambler [1826-1891] at Halifax.

Children: (1) Emily [b 1855]; (2) Katharine [b 1860]; (3) Ada Mary [b 1869].

The family lived at Lord Street, Halifax [1845]; 9 Aked's Road, Halifax [1874]; 28 Aked's Road, Halifax [1887, 1891]

Jubb, Booth & Helliwell
Legal firm at 7 Harrison Road, Halifax, and at Brighouse.

Partners included J. H. Jubb [1905] and Henry Davenport Helliwell [1912].

See Christopher Balmforth

Jubb, Francis
[18??-18??] Solicitor. He was at Barum Top, Halifax [1868]

Jubb, J. H.
[18??-19??] Partner in Jubb, Booth & Helliwell.

He lived at Beechwood House, Holmfield [1905]

Jubb, Joseph
[1808-1847] Of Rastrick.

He married Hannah [1809-1875].

Children: (1) Susannah [1833-1847]; (2) Betty [1834-1837] who died aged 2 years and 11 months; (3) Mary who married William Henry Sladdin.

Members of the family were buried at St Martin's Church, Brighouse

Jubb, Margaret
[1799-1871] Daughter of Ann [née Smith] and George Jubb of Lower Clapton, Middlesex.

She married (1) Charles Milne.

After Charles's death, she married (2) James Aked of Kershaw House.

Charles and James were cousins.

She was buried at St Peter's Church, Sowerby [5th September 1871] in the same vault as her first husband

Jubb, Thomas
[1821-1892] On 24th June 1863, he married Ellen, widow of George Hibbert, at Halifax Parish Church

Jubb, Thomas
[1845-19??] Born in Halifax. He was a founding partner of Kerr & Jubb.

In 18??, he married (1) Janet Kerr [18??-18??].

Children: Lily [b 18??].

In 18??, after Janet's death, he married (2) her cousin, Annie, daughter of Robert Kerr

Jubilee Café & Rink, Sowerby Bridge
A roller-skating rink opened here in 1908.

Closed in 1911

Jubilee Drinking Fountain, West Vale
Drinking fountain erected by Alfred Speak in 1897 to celebrate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee

Jubilee Memorial Hall, Halifax
Built for Sion Congregational Church, Wade Street in 1866.

The façade forms the lower, eastern entrance to Halifax Bus Station

Judas Maccabaeus
In 2000, Dr Rachel Cowgill was working in the archives at Halifax Reference Library when she discovered the score of Handel's Judas Maccabaeus. Although there is no direct evidence as to who produced the manuscript, there are similarities between the orchestration of the work and those which Mozart produced for Handel's Messiah and other oratorios. It has been suggested that the score was produced by a close friend of Mozart's who was working to plans laid out by Mozart before his death. Dr Cowgill's research revealed that the score was brought from Dresden to Halifax by a Moravian minister, and then given to William Priestley, who gave it to the Halifax Choral Society around 1850. The first modern performance of the work was given by the Halifax Choral Society at the Victoria Theatre on 23rd June 2002

Judd's bequest
Mrs Judd's Bequest is recorded in 1937


Question: Can anyone tell me anything about Mrs Judd or the Bequest?

 

Judd, Rev Richard
[1829-1873] BA.

From Spalding, Lincolnshire.

He was the first Vicar of Saint Mary's Church, Halifax [1870]. He built up a very large congregation. He built day and Sunday schools. He began the erection of a vicarage for the parish.

A scripture prize – Mrs Judd's Bequest – is awarded annually at Rastrick Grammar School

In 1868, he married Eliza Ann daughter of Charles Pitchforth.

They had no children.

They lived at Boothroyd House, Rastrick [around 1865]; 2 Clarence Street, Halifax [1871]; 19 West Parade, Halifax [1881]; Sunny Bank, Lister Lane, Halifax [1891].

He died after a brief illness.

In 1873, Jane Ann Hodgson published a volume of poetry containing an elegy which she dedicated to him. This was read at his funeral on 25th April 1873.

Eliza Ann is remembered on the family grave at Elland Church

Judge Stansfeld Memorial Rooms, Halifax
Lecture room and classrooms for Northgate End Chapel built in memory of Judge Stansfeld in 1885

Judson, Alfred
[1846-1925] Son of William Judson.

He was

On 27th February 1875, he married Sarah at Halifax Parish Church.


Sarah was the daughter of Mr Walsh and widow of William Barrett
 

Judson, Edgar
[1881-1918] Son of Richard Judson.

He was a shuttle maker [1901, 1911].

On 10th October 1909, he married Louisa Jane Middleton [1887-1963] at St Michael & All Angels, Cornholme.

Children: Harry [b 1910].

The family lived at 6 Wood Head Street, Cornholme [1911].

During World War I, he served as a Private 7th Battalion Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment).

He died 8th June 1918 (aged 37).

He was buried at the Bois-Guillaume Communal Cemetery Extension [D 10A].

He is remembered in the Todmorden Garden of Remembrance

Judson, John
[1???-1851] A Todmorden beer seller. On 12th July 1851, he died after falling from the steps at Lydgate Mill, Todmorden

Judson, John
[18??-1???] He married Johanna, daughter of Abraham Crabtree

Children: Ada who married James Law

Judson, Richard
[1854-1930] Born in Cornholme.

He was a cotton weaver [1901].

In 1881, he married Susannah Mitchell [1856-1937] in Todmorden.


Susannah was born in Cornholme
 

Children: (1) Edgar; (2) Mary [b 1886] who was a cotton weaver [1901]; (3) Allen [b 1890]

The family lived at 866 Burnley Road, Todmorden [1901]

Judson, Squire
[1850-1905] Son of William Judson.

Born in Sowerby.

He was a dyer [1871]; a corn miller [1881, 1891]; an insurance agent [1901].

He helped form the Sowerby Division Labour Representatives Association and the Sowerby Division Independent Labour Party.

In 1874, he married Mary Grace Hitchen [1852-1919] in Halifax.

Children: (1) Adelaide [b 1875] who was a woollen weaver [1891], a woollen blanket weaver [1901], a carpet ringer/fringer [1911]; (2) Arnold [b 1879] who was a woollen spinner [1891], a shoemaker [1901]; (3) Herbert [b 1881] who was a woollen spinner [1891], a labourer (mattress works) [1901], a cloth miller [1911]; (4) Philip Edward [b 1888] who was a woollen spinner [1901], a pianoforte maker [1911]; (5) Annie [b 1892] who was a carpet ringer/fringer [1911].

The family lived at Hubberton House, Sowerby [1881]; 12 Industrial Road, Sowerby Bridge, Warley [1891]; 22 Lord Street, Sowerby Bridge [1901]; 2 Annie Street, Sowerby Bridge [1911].

On 6th February 1905, he was collecting insurance premiums in Greetland when he fell and broke a rib which pierced his lungs. He died later that week.

He was buried at Sowerby Bridge Cemetery [14th February 1905]

Judson, Wilfred
[1902-1980] Born in Todmorden. He attended Todmorden Grammar School. He gained BA and MA at Manchester University. In 1923 he emigrated to Canada.

He taught Latin in Toronto. Later, he attended Osgoode Hall Law School. In 1932, he was called to the bar and practised law in Toronto for 19 years. In 1951, he was appointed to the High Court of Justice of Ontario in 1951. In 1958, he was appointed to the Supreme Court of Canada. He retired in 1977

Judson, William
[1823-1857] Born in Stansfield.

He was a railway stoker [1851]; a journeyman silk twister [1857].

On 2nd February 1846, he married Susan Kershaw [1827-1903] in Bradford.


Susan was born in Sowerby, the daughter of
Squire Kershaw.

She was a widow and a dressmaker [1871]

 

Children: (1) Alfred Judson (1) Alfred [1846-1925] who was a cotton piecer [1861]; (2) Thomas [1848-1877]; (3) Squire; (4) William [b 1853] who was a worsted singer [1871]; (5) Edward [b 1855] who was a wool washer [1871]; (6) Mary Ann [b 1856]; (7) Susan [b 1860].

The family lived at 29 Stile, Sowerby [1851]; Stile, Sowerby [1861, 1871]

William died 8th January 1857.

Probate records show that he left effects valued at under £50.

After his death, Susan had another child [1859-1927].

Living with the widowed Susan in 1861 was daughter Susan [born 1860 in Liverpool]. In 1871, the child was listed as Elizabeth [born 1860 in Liverpool] and was a worsted spinner

Judson, William
[1858-1912] In [Q1] 1879, he married Sarah Thomas [1859-1921] in Todmorden.

Children: William Thomas

Judson, William Thomas
[1888-1915] Son of William Judson. Of Todmorden.

In [Q1] 1911, he married Louisa Procter [1889-1954] in Burnley.

During World War I, he served as a Guardsman with the 3rd Battalion Grenadier Guards.

He died 28th September 1915.

He was buried at the Dud Corner Cemetery, Loos [IV A 19].

He is remembered in the Todmorden Garden of Remembrance

Judy Woods
Woods at Wyke which were named after Judy North. The woods – which includes a plantation of beech trees – cover about 100 acres. Oak and sycamore are also found there.

The wood itself may have been a part of the larger Wibsey wood and Forest of Brianscholes.

They are maintained by Bradford Council and mainly in the Bradford district, Jagger Park Wood is in Calderdale.

Amos Kellett owned the land for a time, and then sold it to Mr Smith of Royds Hall.

When Edward Rookes Leedes went bankrupt and committed suicide, the Royds Hall estate and the woods were sold to the Low Moor Iron Works for the mineral rights.

Parts of the woods are known by their own names, including: Doctor Wood, Gannerthorpe, Jagger Park Wood, Low Wood, Neddy Wood, North Brow Wood, Old Hanna Wood and Royds Hall Great Wood.

See Friends of Judy Woods, Horse Close Bridge, Judy Woods – Save Our Heritage Campaign, Judy Woods: Coal Mining, Jumble Pit, Norwood Green, Jumble Wood, Norwood Green and Royds Hall Dam

Judy Woods: Coal Mining
There was considerable coal mining in the Norwood Green and Judy Woods are in the 19th century

See Bell pits, John Colen, Norwood Green Colliery, Royds Hall Great Wood and Wood Colliery, Judy Woods

Judy Woods – Save Our Heritage Campaign
A group for the support and preservation of Judy Woods

Jukes, Andrew
[18??-18??] Physician and surgeon at 49 Rhodes Street, Halifax [1874]

Julien, Frederick
[1???-19???] Retailer of artistic and fashion jewellery and fancy goods at 20 Arcade Royale [1936] and 20 King Edward Street, Halifax [1949]

Jum Hole Beck, Brianscholes
Stream which flows through Shelf, Coley and Hipperholme.

This was a part of the boundary of the township of Hipperholme-cum-Brighouse.

See Chelsea Valley

Jumble Hole Clough, Todmorden
The stream – once known as Blackshaw Clough – forms the old boundary between Yorkshire and Lancashire and flows into the Calder

The flow of water down Jumble Hole once supplied several water-powered mills – including Jumble Hole Mill.

Baptisms were performed at the dam for members of Nazebottom Baptist Church.

See Beverley Footbridge, Broad Dean Farm, Todmorden, Cow Bridge, Todmorden, Cowbridge Mill, Todmorden, Dean Bottom Farm, Todmorden, Hippens Farm, Jumble Hole Falls, Mutterhole Bridge, Charlestown, Spa Hole Mill, Todmorden, Staups Clough, Todmorden and Staups Mill

Jumble Hole, Eastwood
Steep, wooded valley of Jumble Hole Clough at Eastwood, between Hebden Bridge and Todmorden. In the early 19th century, this was an industrial centre with 4 large mills and several houses.

See Jumble

Jumble Hole Falls, Todmorden
A small waterfall on Jumble Hole Clough

Jumble Wood, Norwood Green
Recorded in the Norwood Green / Judy Woods / Wyke area.

See Jumble

Jump's Farm, Stansfield
Harley Wood.

Owners and tenants have included

See Catholes, Todmorden

Jumples
Area south-west of Illingworth / Mixenden to the north of Halifax.

The name may derive from the way in which the stream jumps over the stones and the rocky river bed, and is used in several local features: Jumples House, Jumples Hole, Jumples Syke, Jumples Bridge, and Jumples Mill

Jumples Beck, Mixenden
Name given to the Hebble along part of its length.

See Jumples Bridge, Mixenden

Jumples Bridge, Mixenden
A stone-arch bridge over Jumples Beck. A bridge is mentioned here in 1494. In the 16th century, the Lister family had a fulling mill by the bridge.

There is a foot-bridge further up the stream.

See Mixenden Bridge

Jumples Cottage, Mixenden
Recorded on maps produced in 1854

Jumples House, Mixenden
The Jumples. Wheatley Road.

In 1710, Jumples Mill and the house were purchased by George Ramsden and the Ramsden family.

Owners and tenants have included

In 1870, it was substantially rebuilt by Thomas Ramsden. The property passed down to

The Ramsden family lived at Jumples House until well into the 20th century.

Subsequent owners and tenants have included

In 1961, the house was demolished by Halifax Corporation. The site was needed for high rise blocks to provide homes for hundreds of families.

See Brigg family of Jumples

Jumples housing
The 14-storey skyscraper flats opened by Mayor Ludlam in June 1965 near the site of the old Jumples House. Originally there were six blocks, providing a total of 576 flats, but Crag Court – named after nearby Crag Lane – was demolished

Jumples Lodge, Illingworth

Owners and tenants have included

Jumples Lodge, Mixenden
Owners and tenants have included

Jumps Mill House, Todmorden
Early 19th century house.

The waterwheel of Jumps Mill, Todmorden is nearby

Jumps, Todmorden
Formerly known as Kitson Royd. Area below Orchan Rocks.

The name may derive from the fact that the clough jumps down in several small waterfalls.

Jumps Mill was here

Junction House, Norwood Green
Station Road. The building was originally the signalman's house for the Leeds/Bradford and Halifax junction of the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway. It may have been part of Pickle Bridge Station

Junden, Richard
[1580-16??] Around 1603, he married Johanna Roper [b 1582].

Children: Ann who married Benjamin Butterfield

Jungbluth, Rev Walter Julius
[1858-1897] Vicar of Mytholmroyd [1891]

Jungle Experience
A collection and display of British and exotic gardening exhibits at Manor Heath Park and Gardens

Justice, Henry
[1865-1925] Born in Blymhill.

He was a navvy-labourer [1886].

On 12th December 1886, he married Eliza Ann Chapman [1863-1946] at Halifax Parish Church.


Eliza Ann had an illegitimate daughter: Annie (Chapman) [b 1884]
 

Children: (1) Emma [b 1887]; (2) James William; (3) twins Edith [b 1891]; (4) Ethel [b 1891]; (5) Amy [b 1895]; (6) Harry [b 1896]; (7) Ada [b 1899]; (8) Mary Elizabeth [b 1902].

The family lived at 12 Park Street, Skircoat [1891]; 16 Cote Hill Yard [1901]; 34 Mile Cross Terrace, Halifax [1911]

Justice, James William
[1889-1916] Son of Henry Justice.

Born 5th March 1889.

He was a cotton joiner.

On 30th July 1910, he married Gertrude Harding [1888-1927] at All Saints' Church, Dudwell.

Children: Dora [1914-1984].

The family lived at 43 Shoesmith Buildings, Halifax.

During World War I, he served as a Lance Corporal with the 11th Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment.

He was killed in action [3rd September 1916].

He is remembered on the Thiepval Memorial [7C].

Gertrude never married again after James was killed

JX
The JX letters for car registrations were introduced on 27th May 1932


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


search tips advanced search
search engine by freefind


© Malcolm Bull 2014 / calderdale@aol.com
Revised 14:35 on 25th November 2014 / j / 251