Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

I



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Ia Ib Ic Id Ik Il Im In Ir Is It Iv


I'Anson, John
[18??-18??] Grocer at 30 Commercial Road, Halifax [1874]

I'Anson, Walter
[18??-18??] Grocer at 87 New Bank, Halifax [1874]

Ibberson, Charles William
[1868-1936] Printer at 22 John Street, Halifax [1927]

Ibberson, George Dyson
[1???-1897] Landlord of the Sun Inn, Halifax [1897].

He married Mary Hannah.

They are mentioned in the List of Local Wills: 1897

Ibberson, Harry
[1877-1917] Son of Sarah Ann and George Ibberson of Liversedge.

Born in Liversedge.

He was the proprietor of a fish & chip restaurant [1911]. See the Blue Bell, Southowram

On 23rd October 1900, he married Elizabeth Ann Greenwood [1878-1952] at St Anne's Church, Southowram.


Elizabeth Ann was born in Halifax
 

They lived at 15 Common Lane, Southowram [1917].

During World War I, he served as a Private with the 12th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own).

He died of wounds [20th November 1917] (aged 39).

He was buried at the Grevillers British Cemetery [VII D 20].

He is remembered on Southowram War Memorial

Ibberson, Joseph
[1809-1890] Son of Hannah [1780-18??].

Born in Lepton.

He was landlord at the Golden Lion, Halifax [1845, 1864]; landlord of the Upper George Hotel & Posting House, Halifax [1871, 1874].

He married Sarah [1809-18??] from Liverpool.


Sarah died before the census of 1871
 

Children: (1) Anne [b 1842]; (2) Mary Powell [b 1844]; (3) Joseph [b 1846]; (4) Susannah [b 1848]; (5) Sarah [b 1850].

Joseph died in Halifax [Q3 1890]

Ibberson, Rev W. H.
[18??-18??] Pastor at Hope Baptist Church, Hebden Bridge [1877-1881]

Ibbetson, Charles Henry
[1858-19??] Born in Yeadon.

He was a manager of Industrial Co-operative Society store [1911].

In [Q4] 1881, he married Elizabeth Lucy Garside [1858-19??] from Ripponden, in Halifax.

Children: (1) child; (2) Mary Jane [b 1885].

The family lived at 65 Lightcliffe Road, Brighouse [1911]

Ibbetson, Christopher
[1710-1767] He married Unknown.

Children: (1) (possibly) Thomas; (2) child; (3) child; (4) child; (5) child; (6) child.

Members of the family were buried in Halifax Parish Church.

The epitaph on the memorial is recorded in the book Monumental & Other Inscriptions

Ibbetson, George
[1821-1???] Of Halifax.

In 1839, he, Charles Evans and Samuel Holdsworth were charged with feloniously assault on William Latham of Halifax.

On 5th March 1840, the jury returned a verdict of Guilty and all three men were transported for 15 years. He was one of 259 convicts who left England for Van Diemen's Land on the Duncan [10th December 1840]

Ibbetson's: H. & H. Ibbetson
Linen draper and silk mercers at Corn market, Halifax [1822]

Ibbetson, Sir James
[1746-1796] Baronet of Leeds and Denton.

He was High Sheriff of Yorkshire [1769].

In 1768, he married Jane Ibbetson

Children: (1) Henry Carr [1779-1825]; (2) Isabella; (3) Charles [1779-1839]; (4) James [17??-1801]; (5) John Thomas [1789-1869]; (6) Anne Frances; (7) Harriet. He inherited Denton Hall, Wharfedale from his uncle Samuel [1768] and commissioned John Carr of York to build the present Hall. The work was completed in 1778 at a cost of £100,000

Ibbetson, James
[18??-18??] Hatter and manufacturer at Clark Bridge, Halifax [1850]

Ibbetson, Lady Jane
[17??-18??] Aka Jenny. Daughter of John Caygill.

She inherited the Shay estate. She owned Brookroyds, Halifax [1809]

When she married Sir James Ibbetson, the estate was sold

Ibbetson, John
[1744-1???] Wool-dealer of Ovenden. One of the coiners.

The official notice of 1769 for his arrest described him as

JOHN IBBETSON, late of Ovenden, in the same Parish, Dealer in Wool, about 25 years of age, five feet six inches high, slender made, fair complexioned, looks pale but very smart, wears his own Hair, which is brown and curls a little

Ibbetson, Mary
[1???-18??] She ran a private school in Halifax [around 1838]

Ibbetson, Sam
[17??-18??] Woolstapler at Gaol Lane, Halifax [1809]

Ibbetson, Sarah
[1???-18??] She ran a private school in Halifax [around 1822]

Ibbetson, Thomas
[1747-1828] (Possibly) son of Christopher Ibbetson.


Question: Can anyone confirm that his father was indeed Christopher Ibbetson?

 

He married Elizabeth [1749-1818].

Children: Sarah [1775-1824].

Members of the family were buried in Halifax Parish Church.

The epitaph on the memorial is recorded in the book Monumental & Other Inscriptions

Ibbot Clough, Wadsworth

See Ibbot Royd Clough, Wadsworth

Ibbot Royd Clough, Wadsworth
Stream which flows into Hebden Water.

See Hirst Bridge, Wadsworth, Ibbot Clough, Wadsworth and Nutclough Mill, Hebden Royd

Ibbot Royd, Wadsworth

Ibbotroyd, Stansfield
Aka Ibbot Royd, Stansfield.

Walker Lane. House and farmstead.

In 1488, John Akroyd lived here, and the house remained with the Akroyd family of Halifax until 1650 when it passed to the Lister family of Old Town.

The present building is mid-17th century.

The barn is dated S A 1838 and has a Venetian window over the elliptical cart entry

See Henry Mitchell and John Stansfield

Ibbotson, Mrs Amy
[18??-19??] She ran a dancing school in Halifax [1936]

See Mrs Harry Ludlam

Ibbotson, George
[1781-1857] Son of Rev Adam Ibbotson of Kilham.

Born 1st September 1781.

Baptised at Kilham [2nd September 1781].

He was an attorney at Halifax and Elland; solicitor (not practising) living in Huddersfield [1851].

On 16th April 1818, he married Hannah Brooke at Liversedge.

Children: (1) Henry Bagshaw [b 1819]; (2) Charles Brooke [b 1820]; (3) George [b 1822]; (4) Emma [b 1823]; (5) Edward [1825-1893]; (6) Sarah Ann [b 1828].

Henry was born in Liversedge, the other children were born in Rastrick.

In 1842, George published an announcement (in the Northern Star) in which he said that Hannah had absconded without any cause on 25th July 1840, taking their youngest son Edward with her. Their son George left home one year later. The announcement gave a list of addresses where Hannah may have been living, and declared that George would not be answerable for any of her debts.

George was buried at St Martin's Church, Brighouse [16th September 1857].

See James Wright

Ibbotson, George
[1812-1846] Of Southowram.

He married Lydia [1815-1859].

The couple were buried at Bramley Lane Chapel

Ibbotson, Harry
[1???-19??] During World War II, he served as a Gunner.

He died in the conflict.

He is remembered on a memorial in St John in the Wilderness, Cragg Vale and in the book Royd Regeneration

Ibbotson, Joseph
[1802-1856] Of Southowram.

He married Elizabeth [1807-1870].

Children: James [1828-1847].

Members of the family were buried at Bramley Lane Chapel

Ibbotson, Madame Amy
[19??-19??] She established dancing schools in the district

Ibbotson, Samuel
[18??-18??] Of Brighouse.

He married (1) Mary [1813-1841].

Children: (1) James [1841] who died aged 10 weeks; (2) John [1846-1866].

In 1846, he (possibly) married (2) Grace Mallinson? in Halifax.

Children: Mary [1849-1852].

Members of the family were buried at Bramley Lane Chapel

Ice cream
Several companies and individuals were involved in making and selling ice cream in the district, including Ishmael Bee, Pietro Dagostino, The Fusco family, Italian families, Kendall's Ices, Leach & Dawson, Luigi de Luca, Pasquale de Luca, Michele Pandozi, Penguin Ice Cream Company, Halifax, Joseph Sykes Rayner and Ripley's Ice Cream

Iddon, Robert
[18??-1918] Of Todmorden.

During World War I, he served as a Private with the 16th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

He died 10th October 1918.

He was buried at the Delsaux Farm Cemetery, Beugny [II D 21].

He is remembered in the Todmorden Garden of Remembrance

Ideal Beverages Limited
Mineral water manufacturers at Oxford Lane, Siddal [1936]

Ideal Cinema, Halifax
Raglan Street. Opened in 1???. Closed in 19???

Idol Cross, Todmorden
Another name for Mount Cross

Ikin, Joshua Ingham
[1813-1887] Halifax surgeon. In 1837, he translated an elegy to Baron G. Dupuytren, surgeon-in-chief to Charles X

Illing Hall, Norland
Stormer Hill Lane. Recorded in 1854 and 1910

Illingsworth
A variant of the surname Illingworth

Illingworth
District to the north of Halifax.

See North Halifax

Illingworth
Other forms of the surname include Ellingford, Ellingworth, Ellinsworth and Illingsworth.

George Redmonds writes that Adam de Ellingwrth is recorded at Shelf in 1268, Matthew de Illingworth is recorded in 1341, and John de Illyngworth is recorded at Ovenden in 1379.

Originated in the Illingworth district

There are currently around 30 entries on the Calderdale Companion for people with the surname Illingworth. This count does not include other forms of the surname. The individuals are not necessarily related to each other

The Illingworth family
William Illingworth was an early member of the family.

In the late 1600s, the family moved to Bradford where they became significant in the textile industry. The family mausoleum is a distinctive feature of Undercliffe Cemetery, Bradford.

See Mixenden Hall

The Illingworth family of Illingworth

Illingworth, A.
[18??-18??] Manufacturer of the
Patent Union Soled Boot & Shoe

at Cross Hills, Halifax [1865]

Illingworth Aerodrome

Illingworth & Murgatroyd
Halifax manufacturer of cotton goods in the 18th century

Illingworth & Sons
Furriers. They were at The Arcade Royale, Halifax [1936]

Illingworth, Ben
[1???-19??] Aka Prussock.

He lived in a shed in the stone quarry in Fall Spring Woods, Stainland.

He died after eating too many turnips

Illingworth, Sir Charles
[1???-19??] CBE.

He was educated at Heath Grammar School [1910-1917].

He was Regius Professor of Surgery at the University of Glasgow [1939-1964]

Illingworth, Rev Charles
[18??-18??] A native of Idle. Minister at Range Bank Chapel and Union Croft Chapel, Ambler Thorn [1868]. In 1870, he moved to take charge of James Parson's Chapel, Lendal, York

Illingworth Co-Op
Branch number 5 of the Halifax Industrial Society opened in January 1861.

See John Davies

Illingworth Conservative Association
See John Taylor Ramsden

Illingworth constables
The Foldout lists some of the people who have served as Police Officers in Illingworth

Illingworth Cross
See Ovenden Cross

Illingworth's: E. Illingworth & Company (Bradford) Limited
Carpet manufacturer at Shelf Mills

Illingworth, Edith Mary
[1???-1???] Wife of Arthur Lawrence Lightowler, and Mayoress to his mother, Miriam

Illingworth, Miss Emma
[18??-19??] In 1861, she ran a school at Sowerby Bridge. Her sister, Jane, was a dressmaker

Illingworth Fire Station
Keighley Road

Illingworth Gaol
The jail stands on Keighley Road above the Talbot Inn It was built in 1823. It had 4 cells for local felons.

This is discussed in the book Sketches of Old Halifax.

In June 2009, it was advertised for sale by auction

Illingworth Hall Farm
Back Lane, Illingworth. Farmhouse built about 1780

Illingworth Hall, Halifax
Owners and tenants have included

Illingworth, Harry Edward
[1881-19??] Born in Halifax.

He was an organist [1909].

On 15th March 1909, he married Mabel Hollas in Halifax.


Mabel was the daughter of
Robert Hollas
 

By 1911, the couple had emigrated to Canada

Illingworth, Heber
[1838-1889] In [Q3] 1857, he married Mary Priestley in Bradford.


Mary was the daughter of
John Priestley
 

Heber died in Bradford [Q2 1889]

Illingworth, Henry
[13??-1378] Aka Henry Matthewson. Son of Matthew de Illingworth. He lived at The Lee, Shibden. He occupied Shibden Mill for a time. He was Constable of Northowram.

Following a disagreement over rents, he was murdered at Martinmas 1378 by Richard de Sunderland who was accused of

having slain him with a pole-axe

Illingworth, Rev Henry
[16??-16??] Chaplain at Illingworth Church [1664-1665]

Illingworth, Henry
[18??-19??] Established Henry Illingworth & Sons.

He lived at 67 Elizabeth Street, Elland [1905]

Illingworth's: Henry Illingworth & Sons
Worsted spinners established by Henry Illingworth at Pendleton Mills, Elland

Illingworth House
Aka Illingworth Hall [1881]. 9 Calvert's Row, Illingworth.

Recorded on maps produced in 1854, when it was near the White Lion, Illingworth pub.

Owners and tenants have included

Illingworth Industrial & Provident Society Limited
Recorded in the 1860s.

They had a shop which stood next to Illingworth Gaol. In the 1860s, the Society leased the gaol and used it as a store room. It was subsequently used by the Society until the 1960s

Illingworth, J. P. P.
[19??-] Curate at Brighouse [1963-1966]

Illingworth, J. W.
[18??-19??] Beerhouse keeper at Halifax.

In June 1875, he went into liquidation

Illingworth, John
[1???-16??] He lived at New House, Ovenden. He had property at Barsey in Barkisland, Dove House, Southowram, Coldwell Hill, Southowram, and Mytholme, Hipperholme.

He married Unknown [1629-1683].

Children: (1) Matthew [died 1679]; (2) Susannah [died young]; (3) Jane [died young]; (4) Mary who married Rev Edward Wilkinson; (5) Judith who married Robert Bairstow; (6) Sarah who married John Ramsden

Illingworth, John
[1???-18??] Landlord of the Ovenden Cross, Ovenden [1822, 1826, 1834].

On 23rd January 1826, he married Miss Birdwistle of Mount Pellon at Halifax Parish Church

Illingworth, John
[14??-1550] He lived at Fold Farm, Illingworth [1525]

He and his brother, Richard, were important figures in the life of Illingworth and Mixenden, and in the building of Saint Mary's, Illingworth

Illingworth, John
[1893-1978] Born in Halifax [22nd September 1893].

He was a civil servant.

On 9th August 1916, he married Mary Bradley Widdop in Rastrick.


Mary was the daughter of
William Widdop
 

Illingworth, Jonathan
[18??-19??] Worsted spinner at Pendleton Mills, Elland.

He lived at 68 Catherine Street, Elland [1905]

Illingworth Library
See Beechwood Road Library

Illingworth, Matthew de
[13??-13??] Children: (1) Henry; (2) Richard; (3) Robert; (4) John

Illingworth moor
Crabtree says that this was a part of the township of Ovenden and enclosed around 1814.

See Harwood House, Illingworth Moor, Illingworth Moor Post Office, Illingworth Moor Wesleyan Chapel and Popples School, Holdsworth

Illingworth Moor Post Office
Illingworth Road.

Illingworth, Mr
[1???-1???] He was a clerk in the office of Buck & Kershaw.

He married Unknown.

Children: William.

Son William was orphaned at an early age

Illingworth Parish Church

Illingworth, Phebe
[15??-1???] She was the last member of the Illingworth family to live at Fold Farm.

In 1681, she sold the property to Abraham Langley

Illingworth Philosopher

Illingworth Police Station
Recorded in 1898 at Lower Mason Green

Illingworth Post Office
Recorded in 1861. It was then run by Samuel Balmforth.,

Recorded in 1874, when George Greenwood was postmaster, and William Binns was post messenger at Illingworth.

The Post Office was the terminus for the tram service to Illingworth which began on 5th August 1899.

Recorded in 1901, when George Greenwood was postmaster, and William Binns was post messenger at Illingworth.

Recorded in 1905, when George Hooson was sub-postmaster at 117 Keighley Road

Illingworth, Richard
[13??-13??] Son of Matthew de Illingworth.

He inherited the property of his murdered brother, Henry

Illingworth, Richard
[14??-15??] Of Illingworth Cross.

He and his brother, John, were important figures in the life of Illingworth and Mixenden, and in the building of Saint Mary's, Illingworth

Illingworth's: S. Illingworth & Sons
Stone quarrying company at Brownend [1880]

Illingworth Saint Mary's Cricket Club
Established in 1884.

They had a ground at Pharaoh Lane, Illingworth, which was (possibly)  negotiated by the curate, Rev William Taliesin Davies.

The Cricket Club gave rise to Illingworth Tennis Club.

See Rev William Taliesin Davies, Tom Emmett and Albert Turner

Illingworth's: Samuel & John Illingworth
Brickmakers at 21 Wade Street, Halifax and Whitegate Brick Works, Southowram.

Partners included Samuel Illingworth and John Illingworth.

On 12th July 1870, the partnership was listed as bankrupt

Illingworth stocks
These stand next to Illingworth Gaol. An upright of the stocks is dated G K 1697 for George Kitchenman, the Ovenden constable

Illingworth Tennis Club
See Illingworth Cricket Club

Illingworth, Thomas
[1780-1854] Of Halifax. He was town beadle and collector of assessed taxes in the borough

Illingworth, Thomas
[18??-19??] In 1881, he established business at North Dean Chemical Works, Salterhebble

Illingworth, Thomas
[18??-19??] In 1865, he had a photographic business at his Halifax Photographic Establishment at 44 Gibbet Street.

He described himself as

Artist and photographer

and

Nephew and late Assistant of the celebrated Photographer, John Eastham, of Manchester

A 1900 advertisement for the business announced

Studio Quality, Artistic and Up-to-date Portraiture
Crown Studio, 41 Crown Street, Halifax

He was at 22 Gladstone Road, Halifax (residence) [1874], 41 Crown Street [1???], and 8 Lord Street, Halifax [1905, 1936].

See Samuel Baldwin

Illingworth, Thomas
[1869-1923] JP.

Established paper manufacturer Thomas Illingworth & Company.

He was vice-president of the Society of Yorkshiremen in London.

Probate records show that he left an estate valued at £157,407

Illingworth's: Thomas Illingworth & Company
Paper manufacturing company established by Thomas Illingworth

Illingworth Ward, Halifax
One of the Electoral Wards of Halifax.

See William Brear, Leonard Calvert, Benjamin Firth, John Radcliffe and Edwin Turner

Illingworth Ward Liberal Club
Keighley Road. The original building was dated 1909.

Recorded in 1917, when John William Brooke was secretary.

It later became Illingworth Liberal Club

Illingworth, William
[1496-15??] Born in Ovenden. He was an early member of the Illingworth family

Illingworth, William
[1801-1879] Son of Mr Illingworth. Local manufacturer

Illingworth, William
[1842-1919] Son of William Illingworth.

He was a retired worsted spinner living in Southport [1881].

In 1878, he married Mary Hannah Cawthorn [1845-1913] in Halifax.


Mary Hannah was from Manchester
 

They had no children.

Mary Hannah died in Stockport [1913].

William died in Stockport [17th July 1919].

Probate records show that he left effects valued at £3,706 18/1d

Illingworth's: William Illingworth & Company
Worsted cotton spinners at Stone Dam Mills Halifax [1871]. They employed 550 men, women and children.

Partners included William Illingworth and William Huntriss.

The business closed when the partnership ended in 1872

Illuminated Clock Almanack

IMI Cornelius
Brighouse. Based at Saint Peg Mills before moving to new premises further north on Bradford Road

Imperial Café, Brighouse
Recorded in 1960, when the Brighouse Chamber of Trade met here

Imperial Café, Halifax
George Square. Opened on 15th February 1908 by George Webster & Sons.

Webster's also had a shop selling tea, coffee and confectionery here.

It closed on 6th October 1954.

The building was subsequently occupied by the Nationwide Building Society

Imperial Chambers, Halifax
Office accommodation in George Street. Built around 1907.

Owners and tenants have included

Imperial Crown Lodge, Halifax
Building on Square Road.

The building has been known as

  • The Hughes Corporation

  • Hughes House

  • The Imperial Crown Lodge – Annexe of the Imperial Crown Hotel


Question: Does anyone know what the building was previously?

 


Question: Can anyone tell me anything?

 

Inchcliffe
A variant of the surname Hinchliffe

See the Foldout for a composite list of individuals with this and all similar surnames

Inchcliffe, Mary de
[12??-1289] Prioress of Kirklees Priory [1270-1289]

Inchfield
District of Todmorden around Walsden.

See Manor of Inchfield

Inchfield Bottom Entertainment Society
Todmorden-cum-Walsden. Recorded in 1928

Inchfield Cottage, Walsden
Peel Cottage Road. Mid 16th century cruck-frames house.

The building is attached to the east of Inchfield House, Walsden.

Inchfield Fold Farm, Walsden
Inchfield Road. An arch is inscribed GT 1631 M for Mary and George Travis, and a doorway is inscribed ET

Owners and tenants have included

Inchfield House, Walsden
Inchfield Road. 16th-17th century cruck-framed house.

George Travis bought the house from Sir John Byron before 1587, and left it to his son, George, around 1599. The property stayed in the family at least until the late 1700's.

John Travis of Inchfield married Annah Sutcliffe of Stansfield Hall.

The later house dated 1848, and has a doorway inscribed WNN for William Nelson Newall.

Inchfield Cottage, Walsden is attached to the house

Inchfield, Manor of
Held by the Savile family who held a part of the manor of Rochdale as heirs of Hugh de Eland.

In 1626, the manor was held by George Travis from the king by a rent of 40/5d.

Records indicate that

the acreage was only 387 arable, with pasture lands of nearly 800 acres. There were also of common land 300 acres. The Walsden people had 788 acres of common in Inchfield

Inchfield Villa, Walsden
Owners and tenants have included

Inchfield Waterworks, Walsden

Inchliffe
A variant of the surname Hinchliffe

See the Foldout for a composite list of individuals with this and all similar surnames

Independent Order of Good Templars

See Phineas Armitage Lodge and Earnest Pioneer Lodge

Independent Order of Rechabites Temperance Friendly Society
A friendly society within the Independent Order of Rechabites.

Recorded in 1917, when it was at Sobriety Hall, Todmorden, and Charles Broadbent was secretary [1917]

Independent Order of the Golden Fleece
Halifax friendly society

India

India Buildings, Halifax
Church Street / Horton Street. A massive block of offices and warehouses built in 1861 – opposite the newly-opened railway station – as the offices and wool-warehouse for James Riley. The name was probably given because of trading links with the Far East.

In 1871, most of the building was taken by cigar manufacturer Alfred Bottomley.

In July 1895, Bottomley, hired a plumber to work at the top of the building. The man noticed that the cornice was cracked. Bottomley reported this to the owner, Jeremiah Ingham.

On 16th October 1895, the overhanging cornice – estimated to weigh 200 tons – fell from the top of the building, crashing into Church Street below. The impact cracked a gas main, causing an explosion which completely destroyed one of the houses on Church Street. The only victim was William Holroyd, Alfred Bottomley's coachman, who had just dropped his employer outside the building and was waiting in the street when the masonry crashed down on him, his carriage and his horse. A search party found Holroyd's mutilated body, and that of the horse. The coachman's watch was cracked and it had stopped at 6:05 pm.

Thousands attend Holroyd's funeral at Saint Paul's Church, King Cross, where the ceremony paid for by Bottomley. A charitable fund was set up for Holroyd's family.

Other casualties were 28-year-old Mary Jane Swithenbank, of Olive Mount, Trooper Lane, who was grazed when she was knocked down by a stone, and her aunt, Mrs Crowther, of Summergate Street, Parkinson Lane, was also slightly injured.

Occupants of the building have included Hinchliffe & Wood [1874], John Lewis [1874], Lawson Saville [1891, 1905], and Joshua Smithson [around 1900].

In 1979, Colin Jeffreys bought the building and opened the Furniture City superstore [1981].

The building was put up for sale [2003].

There were proposals to convert it to shops, apartments, bars and restaurant [May 2005]

Indian House, Brighouse
A pavilion – possibly by Robert Adam – which stands in the grounds of Toothill Court

Indian Relief Fund, Hebden Bridge
Recorded in 1857

Industrialists
Many industrialists have helped to shape Halifax and the Calderdale district, including

Edward Akroyd
Sir Francis (Frank) Crossley
The Fielden family of Todmorden
John Foster
Sir Titus Salt
John Shaw

Industries & Trades

Infirmaries

Infirmary Demonstration
A Demonstration Parade in Halifax. Recorded in 1908

Information Exchange, Todmorden

Ing Head, Sowerby
Owners and tenants have included

Ing Royde, Halifax
Birdcage Lane. Originally called The Gleddings.

Owners and tenants have included

Sir George Fisher-Smith lived here until he moved to live next door at Rockcliffe. He renamed Rockcliffe as The Gleddings, and the original Gleddings was then renamed Ing Royde.

It became a nursing home. Dr Phyllis Bentley died at the Nursing Home [27th June 1977]

Ingham...
The entries for people with the surname Ingham are gathered together in a separate Sidetrack.

The individuals listed here are not necessarily related to each other.

Ingham

George Redmonds writes that the surname probably originated in Lincolnshire. Thomas de Ingham is recorded at Barton upon Humber/Southowram in 1424 and 1445, Laurence Yngham is recorded at Southowram in 1516, William Inghum is recorded in Halifax in 1591, and James Ingham is recorded at Luddenden in 1642.

There are currently around 61 entries on the Calderdale Companion for people with the surname Ingham. This count does not include other forms of the surname. The individuals are not necessarily related to each other

Ingham & Heselden
Joiners and builders at Calder Vale Works, Cornholme [1905]

Ingham & Robinson
Worsted spinners at West Vale and Queens Road Mills, Halifax.

Partners included George Ingham and Enoch Robinson. The partnership was dissolved in January 1875, and George Ingham carried on the business on his own account

Ingham Brothers
Dyers and finishers at Green Mount Dye Works, Halifax Recorded in 1874. Partners included Edward Ingham.

Some sources say the business was established in 1900.

Richard Dearden Ward was sole proprietor.

They joined the Bradford Dyers' Association.

See J. & J. Hainsworth

Ingham Clough, Charlestown
Bridgeroyd.

In March 1763, Abraham Gibson of Bridge Royd, Eastwood was paid 3 guineas to build a bridge over the stream

Ingham's: George Ingham & Company Limited
Worsted spinners of Prospect Mill, West Vale established by George Ingham.

In the 1890s, the firm employed 300 workers and operated 16,000 spindles.

The partnership was dissolved in October 1897

Ingham, Hollinrake & Company
Worsted and cotton spinners at Oldroyd Mill, Langfield, and Lob Mill, Todmorden.

The business evolved from the partnership at Oldroyd Mill, Langfield and at Lob Mill with Christopher Rawdon, James Hollinrake and William Ingham.

Other partners included John Haworth and Thomas Knowles.

The partnership was dissolved on 27th April 1805, when Hollinrake left

Ingham, Knowles & Company
Cotton and worsted spinners at Lob Mill, Todmorden [1809]

Ingham Lane Top Farm, Bradshaw

Owners and tenants have included

Ingham's: Oates Ingham & Son
Worsted and cotton dyers [1861]. They had works at Old Lane, Halifax and a warehouse at Wade Street, Halifax. They were also at Valley Place, Bradford

Ingham Pickersgill & Company
Stone merchant at Bare Head Quarry, Northowram

Ingham's: R. & A. Ingham
Cotton spinners at Marshaw Bridge Mill, Cragg Vale [1822]

Ingham's: Richard & Joseph Ingham
Cotton spinners at Marshaw Bridge Mill, Cragg Vale [1833]

Ingham's: Richard Ingham & Sons
Cotton spinners, weavers and manufacturers established by Richard Ingham and other members of the family, including Richard, John Arthur and William Ingham.

The firm occupied several local mills, including Cinderhills Mill, Langfield, Millsteads Mill, Langfield and Woodhouse Mill, Langfield.

Following a boiler explosion at Woodhouse Mill, Langfield on 3rd November 1863, the inquest recorded a verdict of manslaughter against Richard Ingham & Sons and John Arthur Ingham

Ingham Well Farm, Heptonstall
Highgate Lane. Early 19th century cottages

Ingle, Benjamin
[1831-1???] Son of James Ingle. Baptised in Bradford [6 May 1831].

He married Betty Haigh in Halifax Parish Church [7th January 1852].


Betty was the daughter of David Haigh
 

Children: (1) Mary Hannah [b 1853]; (2) William [b 1854]; (3) Emily [b 1855]; (4) David [b 1857]; (5) Frederick [b 1858]; (6) Betsy [b 1860]; (7) Fanny [b 1861]; (8) Alice [b 1863]; (9) Benjamin [b 1866]; (10) Louisa [b 1870]; (11) Florence [b 1872]; (12) Kate [b 1875]

Ingle, George Hall
[1855-1929] Born in Shipley

He was a chemical worker [1876].

On 6th November 1876, he married Sarah Ann Butterfield [1853-1934] in Calverley.


Sarah Ann was born in Winhill
 

Children: James Alfred.

The family lived at Shipley [1911]

Ingle, James
[1???-18??] He was a corn miller [1823].

He married Elizabeth Holt at Halifax Parish Church [6th January 1823].


Elizabeth was the daughter of
John Holt
 

Children: (1) Thomas; (2) John [b 1827]; (3) James Holt [b 1829]; (4) Benjamin INGLE

Ingle, James Alfred
[1887-1917] Son of George Hall Ingle.

Born in Elland.

He was a window cleaner [1911].

During World War I, he served as a Private with the 12th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own).

He was killed in action [7th May 1917].

He is remembered on the Arras Memorial [4]

Ingle, Thomas
[1825-18??] Son of James Ingle.

Born in Bradford. Baptised in Bradford [11/2/1825].

He married his cousin Elizabeth Ann Haigh [1850].

Children: Martha Ann [b 1853] who married Christopher Willis.

Thomas was dead by 1868, because Elizabeth Ann married (2) John Willis in Cleckheaton [5th February 1868]


Question: Does anyone know whether this was John Willis, the father of her son-in-law?

 

Inglemoor, Halifax
Greenroyd Avenue / Skircoat Moor Road.

Owners and tenants have included

Inglis, Barclay
[19??-19??] He lived at Holly Bank, Lightcliffe.

He married Margaret Willis.

Children: Jane Anna [b 1959]

Inglis, Charles John
[1851-190?] Son of James Inglis and Louisa Rawson. He practised as a solicitor in London before moving to Leicestershire. He had several daughters: Ida, Charlotte, Effie and Gladys

Inglis, Dr James
[1813-1851] Born in Glasgow. He studied medicine in Edinburgh. He came to Halifax in 1838 and practised at 4, Lord Street and later lived on Clare Road.

He was a specialist in the cause and treatment of goitre, and in 1838, he published his Treatise on English Bronchocele, with a few remarks on the use of Iodine and its compounds. This was regarded as the classic work on goitre for the next 150 years and was used as a medical reference work as late as 1964.

He was also a keen student of the then popular study of phrenology.

He was interested in chemistry and geology. He was curator of geology at the Halifax Literary & Philosophical Society. In 1843, whilst studying the Halifax coal beds, he discovered a fossil species of sea lilyDemocrinus rawsoni – which he named for his friend, Christopher Rawson.

In 1842, he married Louisa Rawson.

Children: (1) Charlotte Hannah Louisa [1843-1875] who married Priestley Haigh Norris; (2) Charles John; (3) James Argyll Spalding

Inglis, James Argyll Spalding
[1848-1883] Son of James Inglis and Louisa Rawson.

He was a Major in the 71st Highland Light Infantry.

He married Margaret Keith Young.

They had 1 child.

He was Commissioner of Nicosia.

He died in Cyprus [1st April 1883] and was buried at Famagusta.

His name appears on an obelisk in the churchyard of Holy Trinity Church, and he is remembered on a cross erected by his mother and brother in the churchyard of St Stephen's Church, Copley

The Ingram family of Halifax & Sowerby

Ingram & Baines
Attorneys at Hopwood Lane, Halifax.

Partners included John Richard Ingram and George Baines

Ingram & Huntriss
Attorneys at Hopwood Hall, Halifax [1897].

Partners included (possibly) John Richard Ingram

Ingram, Sir Arthur
[1565-1642] Of Temple Newsam. Financier. Controller of Customs for the Port of London. In 1609, he became Lord of the sub-manor of Halifax-cum-Heptonstall and Lord of the Manor of Halifax which he bought from Sir Edward Waterhouse, when financial difficulties forced the family to abandon the lordship.

He attempted to obtain a charter to run the town's market in Halifax, but the Vicar of Halifax led a successful protest against this, arguing that the market had been held since time immemorial.

In 1638, David Waterhouse brought a Chancery suit against Ingram.

He sold the Manor of Halifax to Rev Thomas Greenwood for £500 in 1626.

See Humphrey Drake, Magson House, Halifax and William Slater

Ingram's Bank
Established in Wakefield by Captain Francis Ingram in the 18th century.

There was a branch in Halifax.

Members of the family who were involved in the business included: William Ingram and Henry Ingram.

The bank closed in 1810

Ingram, Charles

Ingram, Captain Francis
[1740-1815] From Wakefield.

He became wealthy through his involvement in the slave trade.

In the 18th century, he established Ingram's Bank

He married Unknown.

Children: (1) William; (2) Henry who married [1806] Ann, daughter of James Moore

Ingram, Henry
[1779-18??] Halifax merchant.

He married Hannah.

Children: (1) John Richard; (2) Henry; (3) Francis; (4) James; (5) Christiana; (6) Ellen.

The family lived at Haugh End, Sowerby [1841]; Breck, Triangle; Wakefield.

He wrote several books of poetry including The Flower of Wye [1815], Matilda [1830], and Zuleima [1844].

He was dead by 1852

Ingram, Rev Henry Hugh
[18??-19??] BA.

Curate at Hebden Bridge [1890] on the understanding that he should give his services for a year. He left in 1892

Ingram, Hugh Francis
[1796-1883] Son of John Ingram.

He (possibly) owned Pudding Park Wood, Southowram [1855].

He died at his home in Lyme Regis, Dorset

Ingram, John
[1766-1841] Of Wakefield. He had homes at Staindrop Hall, Durham, at Gloucester Place, London, and in Rome – where he died.

He married Frances Greame.

Children: (1) Hugh Francis; (2) Elizabeth Christian who married Henry Colyar; (3) Augusta Isabella who married John Godfrey; (4) Francis Mary Ann; (5) Margaret.

Through the marriage, he became Lord of the Manor of Southowram

Ingram, John Richard
[1819-1899] Son of Henry Ingram.

Born at Haugh End, Sowerby.

Attorney at 16 Cheapside, Halifax [1845], Carlton Street, Halifax [1850], and 4 Hopwood Lane, Halifax [1874].

He was a churchgoer; a Conservative; a partner in Ingram & Baines; Deputy Coroner for the district for several years; Master Extraordinary in the High Court of Chancery.

Around 1860, he joined then Halifax Volunteer Rifle Corps. He held the rank of Major when he retired, the oldest member of the Corps.

On 6th May 1852, he married Harriete, daughter of Charles Norris. They had no children.

The family lived at Haugh End, Sowerby [1841]; Ashfield Cottage, Warley [1845]; 6 Savile Terrace, Halifax [1861]; The Gleddings, Halifax [1871, 1881]; Bournemouth [1891, 1901]

He died at his home, The Breck, Bournemouth.

See Raywood Micklethwaite Stansfeld

Ingram, Captain William
[17??-18??] Son of Captain Francis Ingram.

Born in Wakefield.

He came to live in Halifax [around 1790].

He was Commandant of the Halifax Volunteer Troop of Cavalry.

In 1800, he is recorded as having made a voyage from Liverpool in connection with the slave trade.

In November 1805, he was the subject of a Court of Inquiry charged with embezzling 4 day's marching pay due to members of the Troop.

He married Unknown.

Children: Anna [1802-1803] who died aged 6 months.

The family returned to Wakefield.

See Ingram's Bank

Ingwood, Greetland
116 Green Lane.

Owners and tenants have included

It subsequently became a restaurant/night club and a nursing home.

See Ingwood Mills, Stainland

Inkerman House, Ripponden
Rochdale Road. Built in 1854.

Named for the Battle of Inkerman in the Crimean War.

Owners and tenants have included

Inkersall, Joseph George
[1823-1867] Born in Sheffield.

He was professor of singing in Sheffield [1851]; teacher of singing in Leeds [1861].

As a professional tenor, he appeared in concerts with Mrs Sunderland many times between 1st May 1851 and 16th April 1864.

In 1844, he married Sarah Marples in Sheffield.

Children: (1) daughter; (2) daughter.

One of his daughters became a music teacher.

The family lived at 32 Rockingham Street, Leeds [1859, 1867].

He died at home in Leeds from complications following an operation on one of his eyes

Inland Bonding Warehouse, Halifax

Inman
[Surname]

There are currently only around 8 entries on the Calderdale Companion for people with the surname Inman. This count does not include other forms of the surname. The individuals are not necessarily related to each other

Inman Brothers Limited
Aka C. W. & S. K. Inman. Mineral water manufacturers.

Partners included Charles William Inman and Stanley Kaye Inman.

They were at Hanson Lane, Halifax [18??] and 14 Union Street South, Halifax [1905].

Inman, Charles William
[1877-19??] Partner in Inman Brothers Limited

Inman, Rev G. H.
[19??-19??] Curate at Christ Church, Pellon [1961]. In 1962, he was appointed vicar at Dewsbury

Inman, John
[18??-19??] Gent.

He lived at Garden Road, Brighouse. He was elected Councillor in the Brighouse Municipal Elections of 1893

Inman, Michael
[17??-1???] Of Pately Bridge. In 1770, he leased Heath Hall, Halifax from Mrs Greame. In 1771, he assigned the lease to John Prescott

Inman, Richard Henry
[1849-1???] In 1873, he married Sarah Kaye at Huddersfield.

Children: (1) Charles William; (2) Stanley Kaye

Inman, Robert
[15??-16??] Of Elland. In his will of 1638, he left to his brother George Ramsden property such that money from the rents be given to Elland Church

Inman, Stanley Kaye
[18??-19??] Partner in Inman Brothers Limited

Inman, Rev William
[1805-1964] Born near Worksop. He trained at Rotherham College, and served at Keyworth [1838], Hinckley, Huddersfield, and Wilsden before becoming Minister at Providence Congregational Church, Ovenden [1860].

He died at Worksop.

He was buried at Providence Congregational Church, Ovenden

Innes, George
[18??-19??] Medical officer for Halifax Friendly Society & General Medical Aid [1905]

Insolvencies

The Institute
The Halifax Union Workhouse, Gibbet Street was known as The Institute

Intake Farm, Stainland
Owners and tenants have included

Intake Wood, Northowram
Woodland off Kell Lane on the side of the Shibden Valley

Interface Fabrics
Carpet manufacturers of Shelf.

See British Furtex Fabrics Limited, Firth's Carpets, Bailiff Bridge and Readicut Group

Internal References

Invincible Drapery Warehouse Company
Pinafore and underclothing manufacturers at Norland [1905]

Ire Valley
The fictitious name which Phyllis Bentley uses for the Colne Valley in her Inheritance trilogy

Iredale, Arnold
[1895-1918] Son of Edward Iredale.

Born in Elland.

He was a worsted doffer [1911].

During World War I, he served as a Private with the 1st/4th Battalion Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment).

He was killed in action [3rd May 1918].

He is remembered on the Tyne Cot Memorial [82-85 & 162A]

Iredale, Benjamin
[18??-1???] He married Rebecca [18??-1???].


A possible Iredale-Whiteley marriage is recorded in Elland [1834]
 

Children: Simon.

The family lived at Holywell Green [1841]

Iredale, Edward
[1858-1928] Born in Elland

He was a woollen spinner [1883].

On 26th August 1883, he married Elizabeth Jones [1858-1929] in Halifax.


Elizabeth was born in Yorton
 

Children: (1) Eleanor [b 1883]; (2) Louisa [b 1885]; (3) Mary Ann [b 1887]; (4) Arnold.

The children were born in Elland.

The family lived at Langdale Street, Elland [1891]; Catherine Street, Elland [1901, 1911]

Iredale, Edwin
[1839-1898] He was a worsted doffer [1851]; in partnership with life-long friend Samuel Warrington at Mayfield Mill, Elland; a partner in Warrington, Iredale & Tattersall at Marshall Hall Mills, Elland.

When the business failed, he went into the earthenware trade, and became an earthenware dealer at 49 Southgate, Elland.

He was also an ardent Liberal; a member of the Elland Burial Board; a staunch Nonconformist; a member of the Council of Free Churches; a leading preacher with the Temperance movement; one of founders of Temperance Methodist Church.

He married Unknown.

Children: (1) Fred; (2) Charles Henry [b 1864].

In 1898, Edwin was one of 8 people killed when he was a passenger in an express train which collided with a derailed goods train at Wrawby Junction near Lincoln.

See William Chapman

Iredale, Ernest
[18??-19??] Manufacturer at Westbury Mills, Elland [1905]

Iredale, Fred
[1863-1937] Son of Edwin Iredale.

He was a railway clerk; a bookkeeper with James Dyson & Company [1898]; Company Secretary with Preston Farmers in Lancashire.

In 1890, he married Elizabeth Ann eldest daughter of William Henry Wooler in Halifax.

Children: (1) Edwin Wooler (Iredale) [b 1891]; (2) William Henry [b 1894]; (3) Herbert [b 1899]

Iredale, Harold
[1891-1916] Son of John William Iredale.

Born in Luddendenfoot [8th August 1891].

He was a member of Luddendenfoot United Methodist Church & Sunday School; one of the first members of the local Boys' Brigade; a student with the International Correspondence School, London; an engine cleaner (Lancashire & Yorkshire railway) [1911]; a tram conductor in Halifax.

He never married.

He volunteered and enlisted 1st September 1914.

He served as a Private with the 11th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers.

He went to France [August 1915].

He was killed instantly by a rifle grenade whilst on parapet duty [16th April 1916].

He buried at the Bully-Grenay Communal Cemetery, French Extension [A 74]

Iredale, J. W.
[18??-191?] He worked for Mackintosh's.

He died in World War I.

He is remembered on the list of Mackintosh's employees who served in the Great War

Iredale, James
[18??-19??] He was a Deacon at Blackley Baptist Chapel. In 1911, he was recorded as a Past Deacon

Iredale, John
[1742-1809] Grocer of Elland. A member of the Elland Methodist Society. Before his conversion, his customers would leave their shopping baskets at his shop and collect them after the church services. After his conversion, he would no longer do this, and his customers left him. His home in Exley was licensed for meetings in 1794 and continued until his widow died in 1823.

See John Hirst

Iredale, John William
[1858-1911] Born in Stainland.

He was a warehouseman woollen [1891]; a woollen mule spinner [1901]; a warehouseman (woollen manufactory) [1911].

He married Sarah Hannah Aitchison [1860-1???] from Luddendenfoot, in Halifax [1883].


Sarah was a woollen weaver [1891]
 

Children: (1) Harold; (2) Alice [b 1894] who was a sewing machinist tailor [1911]; (3) Frank [b 1896] who was a woollen piecer [1911]; (4) Horace [b 1902].

The family lived at 10 West Green, Luddendenfoot [1891]; 2 Winter Neb, Luddendenfoot [1901, 1911].

John William died [Q3] 1911

Iredale, Joseph
[18??-19??] Card manufacturer at South Lane Mills, Elland [1905]

Iredale, Joseph
[1805-1840] Of Woodhouse in Rastrick.

He married Jane.

Children: (1) daughter; (2) Ann [1837-1838] who died aged 1 year; (3) John [1829-1841]; (4) son; (5) William Edward [1839-1840] who died aged 19 weeks.

Members of the family were buried at St Martin's Church, Brighouse

Iredale's: Joshua Iredale & Company
Elland. Woollen manufacturers. Recorded in 1870

Iredale, Robert
[1738-1776] Coiner of Bank Bottom, Southowram.

He married Mary.

Children: unknown.

He was charged with forgery and High Treason. He denied coining, but admitted that he had counterfeited York Bank Guinea Notes. He was executed at the Tyburn, York on 16th April 1776.

His corpse was brought home with the noose still around the neck, and his wife charged people a penny to look at the body

Iredale, Simeon
[1835-1870] Son of Benjamin Iredale.

In [Q4] 1859, he married Ann Pilling [1836-1???] in Halifax.

Children: Rebecca [1860-1???] who married Thomas Rider.

The family lived at Stainland.

Simeon died in Halifax [Q3 1870] (aged 35) 

Ireland
[Surname]

There are currently only around 3 entries on the Calderdale Companion for people with the surname Ireland. This count does not include other forms of the surname. The individuals are not necessarily related to each other

Ireland Farm, Southowram
Shibden Hall Road – opposite Shibden Industrial School

A part of the Shibden Hall estate.

In the 15th/16th century, Southowram Hall stood on the site.

Owners and tenants have included

See Little Ireland Farm, Southowram

Ireland, Innes
[1930-1993] Son of Mary Margaret and William Alexander Ireland, a Scottish veterinary surgeon. Born in Mytholmroyd as Robert McGregor Innes Ireland.

His family returned to Kirkcudbright, Scotland, during his youth.

He became a military officer, engineer and motor racing driver.

In 1959, he made his Formula 1 debut for Team Lotus at the Dutch Grand Prix, where he finished 4th.

In 1960, he won three non-championship F1 races and also finished 4th in the World Drivers Championship table.

In 1961, he had a bad crash at Monaco, but won the United States Grand Prix at Watkins Glen, his one and only World Championship Grand Prix victory.

He continued to race in F1 for the UDT Laystall, British Racing Partnership and Reg Parnell Racing teams, until 1966.

He also competed in the Le Mans 24 Hour Race, recording a best finish of 6th in 1964, driving a Ferrari 250 GTO. He died from cancer on 22nd October 1993, in Reading.

Ireland, Inspector
[18??-18??] Halifax police inspector [1869]

Ireland, William
[15??-1???] Curate at Heptonstall [1578, 1579]

Irish Centre, Halifax
Aka Irish Democratic League Club. Clifton House, West Parade, Halifax.

See Halifax Irish Society

Irish Immigrants

Irish Riots
There was a series of riots against the Irish communities in Brighouse, sparked off by the assassination of Brighouse MP Frederick Cavendish on 6th May 1882

Iron House, Pellon
Sandbeds Road. The house was built by an ex-naval man and was constructed with parts of metal ships. It had a look-out tower.

In the 1960s, it was occupied by Margaret Hallam's Dancing School.

It was subsequently demolished

Ironmonger, Rev Henry
[1???-19??] A Congregationalist minister who gave elocution lessons

Irvin & Holden
Dyers at Halifax. Partners included Thomas Irvin and James Holden.

In September 1803, the partnership was declared bankrupt

Irvin, Benjamin
[17??-1785] Linen draper of Halifax

Irvin, Benjamin
[17??-1794] He was a dyer at Mount Pleasant, Northowram; Constable of Northowram [1782-4]

Irvin, John
[17??-18??] Woollen spinner at Hand Carr Mill, Luddendenfoot [1795]

Irvine, Lola
[1850-1862] The 12-year-old girl was found crushed to death beneath her cotton spinning machine at Woodvale Cotton Mills, Brighouse

Irvine, Rev
[18??-1???] Curate at Elland [1867].

On 31st March 1867, he was giving a sermon at Elland Parish Church when one of the clock weights crashed to the ground

Irvine, William
[18??-1???] A local accountant.

In 1873, he published a book of tables – entitled Worsted Spinning Drafts – which detailed the drafts required to spin worsted yarns of various sizes

Irving, Edward
[1792-1834] A Scot who founded the Holy Catholic Apostolic Church. His followers were the Irvingites

Irving, Sir Henry
[1838-1905] In 1895, his was the first theatrical knighthood.

With his London Lyceum Company of 60 members, he gave 4 performances at the Grand Theatre & Opera House in March 1903, accompanied by his manager, Bram Stoker. His performances included Waterloo by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, a piece called The Bells, a play Louis XI, and The Merchant of Venice. Some of the scenery for The Merchant of Venice had been damaged in a fire en route from Leicester

Irving, Hudson
[19??-19??] Player with Halifax RLFC [1938]. He won caps for England while at Halifax

Irving, John
[1???-18??] He ran a private school in Halifax [around 1838]

Irving, Rev Robert Gill
[1839-19??] Born 6th June 1839.

Vicar of Rastrick [1872, 1895].

In 1870, he married Mary Crossley in Halifax.


Mary was the daughter of Luke Crossley
 

Mary died 27th January 1893.

He retired to Scarborough.

He died 28th January 1910

They were buried at Elland Cemetery

Irving, Thomas
[1797-1868] Born in Ovenden.

He was a dyer at Wheatley [1839], declared bankrupt [November 1839], a dyer in Halifax [1841], a grain dyer (the word wool was added in another hand) [1851], and a worsted dyer [1861].

He married Mary Magdalen [1800-1884] from Ovenden.

Children: (1) Marianne [1822-1869] who married William Hay; (2) Ann [1825-1907] who married John Crossley; (3) Ellen [b 1826]; (4) William [b 1827]; (5) Sarah [b 1828] who married Rev Samuel Shaw.

The family lived at Dyer Lane, Ovenden [1841]; North Jack Royd, Ovenden [1851]; Weymouth Street, Halifax [1861].

In 1871, the widowed Mary Magdalen was living at Cromwell Terrace, Halifax.

Members of the family were buried at Lister Lane Cemetery [Plot Number 1813]

Irwin, Viscount
[1727-1778] Charles Ingram, the Right Honourable Lord Viscount Irwin of Temple Newsam, Leeds.

In the middle of the 18th century, he was the largest landowner in the Halifax district.

He was Lord of the Manor of Wakefield.

He was the 9th and last Viscount Irwin. In November 1769, he attended the enquiry which had been called by the Marquis of Rockingham to discuss the problem of the coiners and the murder of William Deighton.

Isham, John
[1525-1???] Northamptonshire merchant who traded much with Halifax clothiers in the 16th century. Although he mainly traded from London, he visited the district many times. He was a member of the Mercers' Company and the Merchant Adventurers. His brothers, Henry and Gregory, also traded with local men and with Belgium, Denmark, Germany, and Holland

Islamic Education Centre, Halifax
In the former Queens Road End pub at the junction of Pellon Lane and Queens Road.

See Central Madni Mosque

Isles family business
Worsted spinners at Illingworth Worsted Mills, Ovenden.

Partners included John Isles and William Isles

William died 1846.

In 1851, John – who carried on with the business – was employing 170 men, 65 women, 45 boys & 70 girls. Assisting John in the business was his nephew Thomas Isles.

John died 1852.

Thomas took over the business which became Thomas Isles & Company [1861]

Isles & Ingham
Worsted spinners at Ovenden.

Partners included Thomas Isles and John Ingham.

The partnership was dissolved in August 1857

Isles, Rev George
[1???-18??] Methodist minister from Illingworth Moor Methodist Church

Isles, John
[1791-1852] Born in Ovenden.

With his brother William Isles, he was a partner in the family business at Illingworth Worsted Mills, Ovenden.

He never married.

His brother William died 1846.

John took over the business and, in 1851, he was employing 170 men, 65 women, 45 boys & 70 girls. Assisting John in the business was his nephew Thomas Isles.

John died in Ovenden [19th April 1852].

He was buried at Illingworth Moor Wesleyan Chapel

Thomas took over the business which became Thomas Isles & Company [1861]

Isles, Thomas
[1825-1872] Son of William Isles.

Born in Ovenden.

When his uncle John Isles died [1852], he took over the family business at Illingworth Worsted Mills, Ovenden. and established Thomas Isles & Company. The business then became Thomas Isles & Company [1861]

He also had business at Bradford.

He was a worsted manufacturer [1853]; a worsted manufacturer employing 15 men & 190 young people [1861].

On 15th November 1853, he married (1) Caroline Lassey [1831-1860] in Halifax.


Caroline was born in Ovenden
 


On the marriage record, Thomas gave his home as Illingworth House
 

Children: Annie Elizabeth [1854-1901] who married Luke Henry Goodyear.

Caroline died in Ovenden [11th January 1860].

She was buried at Illingworth Moor Wesleyan Chapel

On 27th June 1862, he married (2) Hannah Heginbottom in Halifax.


Hannah was born in Ovenden, the daughter of James Heginbottom. She married from Jumples Lodge
 

Thomas died in Illingworth [26th May 1872].

Probate records show that he left effects valued at under £7,000 to Hannah, his brother-in-law Wilson Midgley, and Thomas Priestley (wool stapler).

Hannah died 16th February 1874.

Members of the family were buried at Illingworth Moor Wesleyan Chapel

Isles's: Thomas Isles & Company
When Thomas Isles took over the Isles family business it became Thomas Isles & Company [1861]

Isles, William
[1795-1846] Born in Ovenden.

With his brother John Isles, he was a partner in the family business at Illingworth Worsted Mills, Ovenden.

On 27th December 1824, he married Grace Emmet [1802-1834] in Halifax.


Grace was born in Ovenden
 

Children: (1) Thomas; (2) Nathan [1827-1845]; (3) Elizabeth [1830-1901] who never married, died in Formby, and left £55 14/11d to her niece Annie Elizabeth; (4) Hannah [1832-1874] who married Wilson Midgley.

The children were born in Ovenden.

The couple died in Ovenden: Grace [7th November 1834]; William [1846]

Grace was buried at Illingworth Moor Wesleyan Chapel

In 1851, John – who had taken over the business – was employing 170 men, 65 women, 45 boys & 70 girls. Assisting John in the business was his William's son Thomas

Ismay, Rev Joseph
[16??-17??] Curate at Hartshead [172?]. He went to become Vicar of Mirfield

Ismay, Thomas
[17??-17??] He was the first master at Grace Ramsden's Charity School.

In 1741, he married Dorothy, daughter of Richard Petty

Isolation Hospital
During the Victorian and Edwardian eras, patients with tuberculosis, small pox and other infectious diseases were kept away from those with other illnesses in – usually remote and specialised – hospitals.

Local isolation hospitals include Borough Fever Hospital, Clifton Isolation Hospital, Shelf Sanatorium and Northowram Isolation Hospital

Issot, William
[1???-1???] Or Issott.

Of Horbury.

He married Unknown.

Children: (1) Mary [1677-1756] who married James Lister; (2) Japhet Issot

Issott, Japhet
[16??-17??] Son of William Issot. Brother-in-law of James Lister of Shibden Hall.

He lived at Shibden Fold.

He may have supplied cloth for the marriage of Martha Lister and William Fawcett [1721].

He records the birth of William Fawcett at Shibden Hall [1727]

Italian families
Several Italian families – such as those of Pietro Dagostino, Francis Fascione, the Fusco family, Pasquale de Luca, Antonio de Luca, Luigi de Luca, Annunziata de Luca, Michele Pandozi, and Richard Camotta - came to the district. Many of the families were involved in making and selling ice cream

Itinerary
A series of humorous articles published anonymously in Halifax in the 1870s

Ive House, Warley
Aka Ive House Farm. South east of Luddenden village.

Stone house based upon a mediæval timber-framed house which was cased in stone in the 17th century.

Owners and tenants have included

In the 19th century, the house was converted to separate dwellings: South Ive House and North Ive House

Ive Ing, Lightcliffe
Owners and tenants have included

Ive, Pollard
[1???-1981] Brighouse grocer.

In 1924, he took over an existing business in Thornton Square next to the Black Bull, Brighouse.

The building was demolished in 19??. Public conveniences now stand on the site

Ivens, Rev Canon Charles Llewelyn
[1856-19??] MA.

Son of Charles Fettiplace Ivens [1819-1906].

Born in Clifton, Gloucestershire.

He was vicar of Emmanuel Church, Leeds before becoming Vicar of Sowerby Bridge [1887-1917], Rural Dean of Halifax, and vicar of Chapelthorpe [for 12 years].

In 1891, he was appointed Surrogate for the diocese of Wakefield, and an honorary canon in Wakefield Cathedral [1892].

In 1916, he was appointed vicar of Chapelthorpe, Wakefield.

He was a popular speaker and preacher throughout the West Riding. At Sowerby Bridge, he was well-known for his Men's Services which attracted men from all parts of the district.

He was an advocate for a Free Library in Sowerby Bridge.

On 18th September 1883, he married (1) Alice Rayner [1854-1909] from Pudsey, at St Lawrence Church, Pudsey.

He was a member of the Committee of the Sowerby Bridge Evening Continuation Schools [1896].

In 1910, he was one of 13 clergymen who went on a Mission of Help tour to New Zealand.

Alice died on 9th October 1909. There is a cross in her memory at Copley Church.

On 16th April 1911, he married (2) Annie Tate whom he had met when he coached her in Latin for a post at the church day schools.

The family lived at The Vicarage, Sowerby Bridge [1891, 1901, 1911]; 12 South Parade, Wakefield [1931, 1932]

Charles died at 12 South Parade, Wakefield [17th September 1931].

Probate records show that he left effects valued at £4,487 12/5d.

Administration was granted to William Henry Coles (solicitor).

Annie died at 12 South Parade, Wakefield [15th May 1932].

Ives & Son
Architects at Waterhouse Street, Halifax [1874]. Partners included Roger Ives and his son, William

Ives, Rev G. A.
[18??-19??] Minister at Bethesda Methodist New Connexion Chapel, Elland [1928]

Ives, Joseph
[1861-19??] Born in Shepley.

He was a railway goods agent [1911].

In [Q2] 1883, he married Sarah Elizabeth Clegg [1861-19??] from Dewsbury.

Children: (1) Joseph Percival [b 1884] who was a colliery agent's clerk [1911]; (2) child; (3) child who died young [before 1911].

The family lived at 95 Bradford Road, Brighouse [1911]

Ives, Roger
[1793-1867] Architect. He came to Halifax as assistant to Joseph Paxton. He practised in Broad Street [1850].

He was a favourite of the Crossley family, and designed mills and other buildings at Dean Clough, and many other local buildings, including Bermerside House, Broomfield House, Crossley Almshouses, Arden Road, Crossley Almshouses, Margaret Street, Hanson Lane Mill, Park Congregational Church, and the Chapel in Lister Lane Cemetery.

From 1866, he was in partnership with his son, William, as Ives & Son. Around 1890, he had a partnership with Francis William Petty, Petty & Ives.

He married Unknown.

Children: William.

He lived at North Parade, Halifax [1850].

He was buried at Lister Lane Cemetery [Plot Number 447]

Ives, William
[18??-18??] Architect. Son of Roger Ives.

He lived at Highfield, Hipperholme.

He designed Hipperholme Methodist Chapel.

In June 1865, he was fined £5 for failing to appear after having been summoned to serve on the Grand Jury at the West Riding Quarter Sessions.

See Mount Pleasant Chapel, Hipperholme

Iveson, Henry
[1???-19??] JP.

He was Mayor of Todmorden [1963-1964]

Iveson, John
[1823-1872] Born in Leeds.

He was a furnace man [1851]; a foundry labourer [1861]; publican at the Black Lion, Halifax [1871].

In 1845, he married Tabitha Somerscale [1826-1865] born in Skircoat, in Halifax. Tabitha was a shop woman [1861]

Children: (1) Martha [b 1846] who was a spinner worsted factory [1861]; (2) Squire [b 1849] who was a spinner worsted factory [1861]; (3) Arthur [b 1853]; (4) Jeffery [b 1857] who was a factory hand [1871]; (5) Aquilla [b 1859] who was a factory hand [1871]; (6) Louis [b 1862].

The family lived at Bank Bottom, Southowram [1851]; 1 Bank Bottom, Southowram [1861]

Ivey, Rev A.
[18??-19??] Minister at Cornholme United Methodist Free Church [1905]

Ivin, William
[1833-1914] Son of stone mason Thomas Ivin.

Born in Quenington, Gloucestershire.

He was a labourer [1853]; a policeman at Norton [1864] before becoming Sowerby Bridge Constable [1871].

He left and was a police constable at Ecclesfield [1881]; a police pensioner at Bedford [1901].

On 12th September 1853, he married (1) Hannah Mary Townend [18??-1863] at Crofton All Saints.

In 1864, he married (2) Charlotte Denner [1831-1907] from Cullompton, Devon, at St Edward the Confessor church, Brotherton.

Children: John [b 1866].

The family lived at Sowerby Bridge Police Station [1871].

In 1871, a prisoner Allen Ripley [1841-1???] (silk dresser)  was listed on the Census at the Police Station.

Charlotte and William died in Bedford

Ivy Cottage, Heptonstall
22 Heptonstall Slack. Built for a corn merchant in the late 18th century. The house is owned by the Yorkshire Baptist Association and is a tied house for the grave-digger

Ivy Cottage, Kebroyd

Ivy House, Barkisland
Owners and tenants have included

Ivy House Farm, Hove Edge
Spout House Lane. House dated IYR 1713.

The Methodist John Sharp lived here around 1796 and the house was licensed for Wesleyan services and was used as a Methodist meeting house.

It once had a window inscribed:

Peace be on this house bestowed:
Peace on all that here reside.
Let the unknown peace of God
With the man of peace abide,

Nov, 4, 1807
The meetings later moved to Park Chapel

Ivy House Farm, Southowram
Whitley Lane. Mid 18th century house.

Owners and tenants have included

Ivy House, Midgehole
Owners and tenants have included

Ivy House, Rastrick
Owners and tenants have included

Ivy House, Salterhebble
Exley Bank. Owners and tenants have included


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


search tips advanced search
search engine by freefind


© Malcolm Bull 2014 / calderdale@aol.com
Revised 12:54 on 27th November 2014 / i / 181