Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Churches & Chapels

R



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Railway Mission Hall, Sowerby Bridge
Recorded in 1905 at Bolton Brow

Railway Mission Room, Halifax
Recorded in 1905 at the Central Hall, Halifax

Range Bank Congregational Church, Halifax
Opened in the 1850s by the Crossley family as an outpost of Square Congregational Church. It was also associated with Union Croft Chapel, Ambler Thorn.

 
Ministers at the Chapel have included


 

The last service was held in May 1954. The Sunday school closed in August 1954.

The building was used as a factory. It was damaged by fire on 18th January 1968.

See Halifax Child Welfare Clinic

Ranters' Chapel

See Boulderclough Methodist Chapel

Rastrick Cemetery
Carr Green Lane. Consecrated by the Bishop of Ripon on 20th August 1884.

In 2006, a proposal to convert the former chapel into a house was turned down.

See Rastrick Burial Board

Rastrick Methodist Chapel
Aka Crowtrees Methodist Chapel, Rastrick

Rastrick Vicarage
Ogden Lane. This was the vicarage for Saint Matthew's Church Built in 1807. Enlarged in 1872.

It is now a private house.

See Vicars of Rastrick

The Rectory, Elland
Westgate. Around 1850, Rev David Meredith sold the house and built the Rectory

Reformers' Chapel, Tuel Lane
Aka Tuel Lane United Methodist Free Chapel

Rehoboth Baptist Church, Stansfield
Opened in 18?? when the Baptists sold Rodwell End Meeting House, Stansfield to the Methodists and moved here. It closed and the congregation moved to Millwood Particular Baptist Church, Stansfield. It was later used as a barn or warehouse

Rhodes Street Wesleyan Chapel, Halifax
Stood at the junction of Rhodes Street / Cross Rhodes Street / Grape Street.

The Chapel and School were designed by J. P. Pritchett.

The corner stone was laid on 7th March 1866. The Chapel opened on 31st May 1867 and could accommodate 800 worshippers. This fine building had a spire.

The church had a noted organ. Arthur Collingwood was organist here.

Closed in 1965. It was demolished two years later

Ripponden Congregational Church
Formerly known as Zion Congregational Church, Ripponden

Ripponden Graveyard: Unidentified
This abandoned graveyard stands at the junction of Hollins Lane and Small Lees Lane, Ripponden.

Contributor Ben Brundell suggests that this may be connected with the nearby Zion Congregational Church, Ripponden.

Ripponden Parish Church

Ripponden Parish Church: Bells
There were 4 bells in Saint Bartholomew's Church, Ripponden:

  • The first inscribed
    The gift of Elkanah Hoyle, gent. A. R. 1715

    In 1870, Hoyle's greatgrandson – Elkanah Hoyle Brinscombe, a silk merchant of Tadcaster – paid for the bell to be recast

  • The second:
    Venite, exultemus Domino, 1708

  • The third:
    Gloria Pax Hominibus, 1708

  • The fourth:
    O may their souls in heaven dwell, who made the least a tenor bell, 1701

When the Church of 1870 was built, four new bells were added, donations by

On 6th June 1870, the opening peal of all eight bells lasted 3 hours 12 minutes

Ripponden Parish Church: Font
A small font from the earlier church stands by the Mediæval Window in the Church.

The larger font was given by Frederick Edward Rawson of the Rawson family of Thorpe.

The oak font cover was made by Robert Thompson. It was dedicated in 1981 in memory of Douglas Asquith, a member of the church who died in a rugby accident

Ripponden Parish Church: Windows
There are several stained and painted glass windows in Saint Bartholomew's Church, Ripponden

  • The East Sanctuary Window: In memory of Sarah Elizabeth [18??-1879], wife of Rev Joseph Gledhill.

    The roundel hanging in the East Window contains fragments of glass from the 15th century Church which were left over when The Mediæval Window was reassembled [1980]

On the south side

  • The Bartholomew Window: In memory of Ellis Whiteley and his wife Mary

  • The Mediæval Window: This contains fragments of glass from the 15th century Church. It was reassembled by the York Glaziers Trust [1980]. Some fragments of the glass were used to construct the roundel in the East Window.

    The small font from an earlier church stands in front of the window [2011]

  • The Gledhill Window: On 10th January 1915, the window was unveiled in memory of Rev Joseph Gledhill

  • The Rawson Window: In memory of Frederick Edward Rawson

  • The Great West Window: This was installed in 1954 with money from the Hewitt Bequest

On the north side

Ripponden Vicarage
In November 1593, Thomas Priestley gave land for a Vicarage in Ripponden.

The present vicarage for Saint Bartholomew's Church stands in Priest Lane, north of the Church and the Old Bridge Inn.

The late 18th century house is said to have been rebuilt by John Watson at his own expense, although it was badly damaged by fire shortly afterwards.

See Vicars of Ripponden

Rishworth's Chapel, Hipperholme

Rishworth Congregational Church

Rishworth Independent Church
Aka Independent Union Chapel, Park Nook Chapel, Parrack Nook Chapel, Parrock Nook Chapel, and Rishworth Congregational Church.

See Rev George Hunsworth, John Hunsworth, William Hunsworth, Harry Maslen, Parrack Nook, Rishworth Independent Church: MIs, Rishworth Independent Church: Graveyard, Rishworth Baptist Church, The Story of Parrack Nook and Mr Worthing

Rishworth Independent Church: Graveyard
The graveyard for Rishworth Independent Church. The following people, and/or members of their family, were buried and/or have memorials here:


 

The date of interment is shown in parentheses

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Monumental Inscriptions in the Ripponden Area

Rishworth Independent Union Chapel

Rishworth Particular Baptist Chapel
Oldham Road. Aka Roadside Baptist Chapel.

There was no place of worship in the township. Local preachers held meetings in cottages there, and some people travelled to Steep Lane Baptist Chapel.

In 1801, Joseph Shaw of Salendine Nook Baptist Chapel was invited to hold monthly cottage meetings, and these soon became weekly meetings.

Land for a chapel was acquired in 1802, and a new chapel was founded in Spring 1803. In April 1803, 9 members from Steep Lane Baptist Chapel and 4 new converts established a Church.

There is a family pew for the Whiteley family. The gallery has box seating.

A Sunday School was established in 1811.

In the 1860s, doctrinal differences led to half the members leaving to form a new church. Starting out as a Baptist Church, it soon became a Congregational Church.

In 1868, a group left to form Zion Congregational Church, Ripponden.

In 18??, the Members of the Church who went to live and work in Sowerby Bridge, established a church there.

In 1887, during the pastorate of Rev J. Wilkinson, a manse was built.

In 1898, the old school was demolished and a new school built at a cost of £2,800.

It is now a private house.

 
Pastors at the Church have included


 

See Charles Hopkinson, Edward Navey, Rishworth Particular Baptist Church: Graveyard and Rishworth Particular Baptist Mutual Improvement Society

Rishworth Particular Baptist Chapel: Graveyard
The graveyard of Roadside Baptist Chapel, Rishworth

Rishworth Particular Baptist Manse
The Pastor's house for Rishworth Particular Baptist Chapel was built in 1887. It cost £550 to build

Rishworth School Chapel
The original school of 1725 at Goathouse is now the School Chapel

Roadside Baptist Church, Rishworth

Roadside Baptist Church, Rishworth: Graveyard

Rochdale Parish Church
The Parish Church in Rochdale is Saint Chad's. It is now united with church of Saint Mary in the Baum.

Rodwell End Meeting House, Stansfield
Also Rodhill End. Rodwell End Lane.

The first Independents met locally at Great House, Stansfield in the 1600s. Following a dispute over infant baptism, they later split into Baptists and Congregationalists.

In 1704, the Baptists built the first local Meeting House here, at Rodwell End. The Congregationalists stayed at Great House and later built Chapel House, Stansfield, and then moved to Myrtle Grove Chapel, Eastwood.

The Baptists sold the chapel to the Methodists and moved to Rehoboth Baptist Church, Stansfield. The Methodists later moved to Springside Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Todmorden.

John Dracup was Minister here in 1779.

The chapel closed in 1783 and became a farm store.

The foundation stone for a new chapel on the site was laid on 22nd September 1860 by W. Horsfall of Hebden Bridge. The Chapel opened in 1865. It had a joint minister with Stone Slack Chapel.

On 13th May 1875, the Chapel was sold at auction for £140 to Stead Brothers.

It was derelict for a time.

It is now a private house.

See Henry Clayton, Mr Faburn, Millwood Particular Baptist Church, Stansfield and West Rodwell End

Rokeby Chapel, Halifax Parish Church
Chapel at the north side of Halifax Parish Church.

This was built in 1533 under the will of vicar William Rokeby when more space was needed in the church; Rokeby's will actually refers to the south side of the church.

The Waterhouse family of Shibden Hall used the chapel for their monuments.

On 12th May 1915, a new altar was dedicated in the Chapel.

The family restored the chapel in 1917

Rooley Lane Wesleyan Chapel, Sowerby
Founded 1806 by a group who left Sowerby Congregational Church.

Following disagreements over temperance issues, a group left to establish Providence Primitive Methodist Chapel, Sowerby.

The Church was enlarged [1864].

The chapel and Sunday School were opened in 1877 on the same site as Cross Stone Wesleyan Chapel which had been destroyed by fire in 1876. The new Church was built by T. L. Patchett.

 
Ministers at the Chapel have included


 

The church closed around 1956.

The graveyard is still there, but was closed for burials in 1957.

The church was demolished in the 1970s.

The graves were moved to Sowerby Bridge cemetery. Houses – Ascot Gardens – have been built on the site.

Rooley Lane Wesleyan Methodist Church, Sowerby: Graveyard
The graveyard for Rooley Lane Wesleyan Methodist Church, Sowerby.

The church closed around 1956. The graveyard is still there, but was closed for burials in 1957.

The church was demolished in the 1970s. The graves were moved to Sowerby Bridge Cemetery.

Houses – Ascot Gardens – have been built on the site.

Roomfield Baptist Church, Todmorden
Built by the congregation from Millwood Particular Baptist Church, Stansfield. The group raised £10,000 for building and property. Four corner-stones were laid on 22nd January 1876. It opened on 6th May 1877. It comprised a chapel and a school. In 1883, a manse and caretaker's house were added.

On 12th August 1900, the organ was brought here from Hope Baptist Church, Hebden Bridge. On 22nd September 1900, the new organ was inaugurated with a recital by Dr J. Kendrick Pyne of Manchester.

 
Pastors at the Church have included


 

The was a bus crash here on 18th March 1907.

The church was demolished in 1959.

The new prefabricated building opened on 26th March 1962

See Lineholme Baptist Church, Stansfield

Round Hill Chapel, Beggarington
Opened in 18??

Roundhill Primitive Methodist Chapel, Ambler Thorn
Built 1823

Ryshworth's Chapel, Hipperholme
This appears on a list of
Decayed Chapels for want of maintenance in the reign of Queen Elizabeth [the First]

It may have been a private chapel at Coley Hall and not Coley Church


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


search tips advanced search
search engine by freefind


© Malcolm Bull 2014 / calderdale@aol.com
Revised 19:15 on 15th July 2014 / c109_r / 42