Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Churches & Chapels

B



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Bacup Municipal Cemetery
The Cemetery lies outside Calderdale, but, being only 6 miles from Todmorden, it is/was used by many local people.

The following people, and/or members of their family, were buried and/or have memorials here:


  • To be completed
 

Bank Top Methodist Church, Southowram

Bankfield Cemetery
There several names recorded for the burial grounds in Boothtown:


Question: I am more than a little confused by these several burial places.

Please email me if you can help determine how many burial grounds there are, and which of these are alternative names for the same place

 

Bankfield Chapel
There is a small chapel for the Akroyd family in Bankfield

General Baptist Church, Haley Hill
Halifax. Around 1773, a group of Baptists with Dan Taylor and John Taylor met at the house of Mr Hutchinson. They met at Queensbury and held services in Halifax. They rented a room in Gaol Lane where
very few attended except when Mr Taylor preached

They bought land in Haley Hill for a new Church. It opened on 3rd September 1777.

In 1782, the 30 members formed a separate Church and invited Dan Taylor from Birchcliffe to their Haley Hill church.

In 1854, it was decided to move to

a more favourable part of town

and North Parade Baptist Church was opened.

 
Pastors at the Church have included


 

See Joseph Nicholson

Barkerite Chapel, Rastrick Common
Rev William Trotter preached here. It is recorded that the chapel was
short-lived

Barkisland Church

Barkisland Parish of
Formed from Halifax on 2nd March 1858.

See Barkisland Parish Church and Barkisland Church

Barkisland Vicarage
The vicarage for Christ Church, Barkisland. 19th century Gothic building

Barkisland with Scammonden Parish Church

 
Subsequent Ministers at the Chapel have included


 

See Barkisland Church and St Bartholomew's Church, Dean Head

Beestonley Lane Chapel, Stainland
The original name of Stainland Providence Chapel

Beeton Mission Room, Todmorden
Associated with St Paul's Church, Cross Stone [1888]

Bell Chapel, Thornton
Built between 1587 and 1612. Aka the Old Church of St James.

Rev Patrick Brontë exchanged his living at Hartshead with that of Rev Thomas Atkinson of the Bell Chapel, Thornton.

Only the cupola and the derelict walls remain.

The Chapel was replaced by St James's Church.

The font from the old Chapel – where the Brontë children were baptised – was moved to the new Church. Their certificates of baptism are also held in the new Church

Bell Metal Chapel, Hipperholme
Another name for Bramley Lane Church

Bent Head Chapel, Stansfield
It later became Chapel House, Stansfield

The Chapel is discussed in the book Valley of a Hundred Chapels

Bethel
A Hebrew word meaning house of God

Bethel Baptist Chapel, Norland
Spark House Lane.

Established on 25th March 1864, by a group of 10 members led by John Jowett. Other pioneers of the movement included William Jowett, Thomas Shaw, Greenwood Standeven, Joseph Barker, James Mitchell, and Jonas Standeven.

For a time, they held their services in rooms in Norland, but, as numbers grew, the services were held outdoors.

Stephen Fawcett helped generously with the building of a new Chapel.

The Chapel opened in 1865.

For a time [1886-1887], they united with Sowerby Bridge Baptist Chapel and Rev H. Hughes was Pastor.

At other times, the Chapel had lay preachers, including Philip E. Jones.

The school was altered in 1897.

The Chapel was renovated in 1904.

The building was affected by dry rot and closed with the last service being held on 29th December 1958.

It is now a private house.

There was no graveyard at the Chapel

Bethel Baptist Church, Lineholme

Bethel Chapel, Boulderclough
A Chapel – known as Clough 'Oile Chapel, Bethel or the Ranters' Chapel - was built by the Primitive Methodists in 1822-23.

Founder members included Mr and Mrs David Pickles.

It was subsequently taken over by the New Connexion Methodists – see John Whiteley.

In 1882, a new Boulderclough Methodist Chapel was erected by the congregation at a cost of £900.

A plaque from the original Chapel inscribed


Bethel 1822

Methodist New Connexion Chapel
is still retained

Bethel Chapel, Brighouse
22 Bethel Street.

There was a chapel on Brighouse Park here from 1795 – see Park Chapel and Park Street – on land purchased from the estate of Thomas Gill.

Around 1799, when the Methodists split, the Wesleyans moved to Ivy House Farm, Hove Edge.

In 1811, following a decision by the Court of Chancery, which ruled that their Conference was the rightful owner, the Wesleyans moved back from Ivy House Farm to Park Chapel, and the New Connexion held services in a blacksmith's shop until the Bethel Chapel was built and opened in 1811.

From 1811 until 1904, Number 22 Bethel Street was the site of the Bethel Methodist New Connexion Chapel after they had left the Park Methodist Chapel.

The old chapel was sold in 1904 to be used as commercial premises.

In 1907, the congregation moved to the new Central Methodist Chapel.

It accommodated around 400 worshippers [1845].

In June 1852, it was registered for the solemnisation of marriages.

The chapel was extended and a second storey was added in 1858

The last sermon was preached on 5th July 1876.

The chapel was demolished in 1876.

A new chapel opened in 1878.

By the end of the 19th century, larger premises were needed. Although it was closed for public worship on 5th June 1904, the New Connexion continued to use the chapel until 1907, when they moved to the Central Methodist Chapel, Rydal Mount.

Details of the organ in the Chapel can be found in the National Pipe Organ Register.

A memorial there was carved by Harry Percy Jackson and is now stored at Brighouse Central Methodist Chapel.

The Bethel Street building is now commercial premises.

 
Subsequent Ministers at the Chapel have included


 

See Bethel Chapel, Memorial, Ebenezer Methodist Chapel, Bailiff Bridge, Henry Healey, Thornhill Briggs Methodist Chapel and John Henry Turner

Bethel Independent Methodist Chapel, Shelf

See Bethel Methodist Chapel Memorial, Shelf

Bethel Methodist Chapel, Shelf
Carr House Road.

Members of the Bottomley family were founder members of the Chapel after they had a disagreement with Wade House Chapel.

The Chapel was built in 139 days.

It opened in September 1853 as a Wesleyan Reform chapel.

There is a plaque dated 1853.

 
Ministers at the Chapel have included

  • Rev Devine
  • Rev Barley
  • Rev Isaac Ambler [1873]
  • Rev J. Stafford
  • Rev J. Carr
  • Rev R. Collinson – see Stone Chair Tabernacle
  • Rev J. S Mitchell [until 1882]

 

In 1873, it joined the United Methodist Free Church.

From 1882, there was no permanent minister, and the preacher was drawn from local Nonconformist chapels.

In 1886, Carr House School was bought for use as a Sunday school, borrowing money from the Methodist Connexion. The money was paid back, but due to misunderstandings, Bethel never joined the Methodist Circuit and has remained independent for all its 150 years. In the mid 1990s, the Chapel was altered to incorporate the Sunday school.

See Bethel Methodist Chapel, Shelf War Memorials, Bethel Methodist Chapel, Shelf Graveyard and Joseph Hobson Jagger

Bethel Methodist Chapel, Shelf: Graveyard
The graveyard of Bethel Methodist Chapel, Shelf.

Bethel Methodist New Connexion Chapel, Holmfield
Shay Lane. Built in 1859 for those Methodists who had left Nursery Lane Chapel. It was a daughter of Salem Methodist New Connexion Chapel, North Parade.

A Sunday school – designed by Horsfall's – was begun in July 1907 and opened in 1908.

 
Subsequent Ministers at the Chapel have included


 

See Bethel New Connexion Band

Bethel Methodist New Connexion Church, Brighouse

See Central Methodist Chapel, Rydal Mount

Bethel Methodist New Connexion Church, Outlane
Built in 1832.

It accommodated around 200 worshippers [1845].

The foundation stone for Outlane Methodist New Connexion Church was laid on 20th May 1893 by

  • Mrs Ainley
  • Mrs E. Beaumont
  • Mrs A. H. Marsh
  • Alderman J. Hepworth JP (Leeds) 

Bethel Primitive Methodist Chapel, Sowerby Bridge
Burnley Road. Recorded in 1905

Bethel United Methodist Church, Brighouse

See Bethel Chapel, Brighouse and Central Methodist Chapel, Brighouse

Bethel United Methodist Church, Ovenden
Shay Lane.

Recorded [1883-1985].

In 1907, the sod cutting ceremony took place the new Sunday School.

 
Ministers at the Church have included


 

The Church was demolished in 198?. A car showroom now stands on the site

Bethesda
A Hebrew word meaning house of Grace and was originally used to refer to the Pool of Bethesda, Jerusalem

Bethesda Methodist Chapel, Elland
Victoria Road. Aka Top o' th' Street Chapel, Top o' th' Lane Chapel.

See Bethesda Methodist Chapel, Elland War Memorial, Bethesda Methodist Chapel, Elland Graveyard, Love Feasts, Sowood Wesleyan Methodist Church Memorial and Mrs Hetty Sykes

Bethesda Methodist Chapel, Elland: Graveyard
The graveyard for Bethesda Methodist Chapel, Elland

Bethesda Primitive Methodist Chapel, Bank Top: Graveyard
The graveyard of Bethesda Primitive Methodist Chapel, Bank Top.

The Chapel was approached by steps between high walls – although there was access to the graveyard via the gate in Trooper Lane.

Until 1900, the wall surrounding the graveyard was 18 ins high, and the land rose in a steep slope to the level of the burial ground. The local authority built a retaining wall which was 15 ft high. This was found to be unsafe, and was replaced by a new wall some years later.

At 10:45 pm on 30th May 1947, the retaining wall of the graveyard collapsed – exposing the coffins and corpses. The catastrophe required 28 re-burials. The work had to be done at night.

The concrete replacement wall was still to be seen [until 2003].

There was another small graveyard across the road at the top of Marsh Lane, next to Bolton Lodge which was opened in 1922.

A licence for the exhumation and clearance of the graveyard was issued in late 1993.

In September 2003, the graveyard was cleared and housing was built on the site.

See Alice Barker Trust

Bethesda Primitive Methodist Chapel, Bank Top: New Graveyard
Marsh Lane, Southowram.

In 1921, a piece of land was bought for a new graveyard – an extension to the Bethesda Primitive Methodist Chapel Graveyard.

This was created next to Bolton Lodge.

It was planned to hold 1,000 graves and came into use in 1922

It is not clear who was buried in the old and the new graveyards. A list of some graves can be found in the page for the old Bethesda Primitive Methodist Chapel Graveyard.

See Alice Barker Trust

Bethesda Primitive Methodist Chapel, Southowram
Aka Bank Top Methodist Church, Southowram.

The Chapel opened in 1857.

See Bethesda Primitive Methodist Chapel Graveyard, Bethesda Primitive Methodist Chapel New Graveyard, Centenary Handbook, Bethesda Primitive Methodist School, Southowram, Laurence Coates, Delf Hill Chapel, Southowram and James Mann

Bethlehem Pentecostal Mission Church, Wheatley Road
Aka Wheatley Pentecostal Church.

 
Ministers at the Church have included


 

Birchcliffe Baptist Church, Hebden Bridge
Birchcliffe Road.

See Birchcliffe Baptist Church, Hebden Bridge Memorial, Birchcliffe Baptist Church, Hebden Bridge Graveyard, Birchcliffe Baptist Sunday School, Hebden Bridge, Birchcliffe water, Hebden Bridge, Elton Thomas and Upper Needless, Hebden Bridge

Birchcliffe Baptist Church, Hebden Bridge: Graveyard
The graveyard of Birchcliffe Baptist Church, Hebden Bridge

Birds Royd Lane Wesleyan Mission Chapel, Rastrick
The Chapel opened in 1897 at Mission Street, Rastrick as a chapel of ease for the former St Paul's Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in Brighouse.

It was built to serve the growing population in Birds Royd district.

After a short period of time, the building was deemed to be inadequate. On 4th June 1904, the foundation stone for a new building was laid, very close to the original chapel building.

It opened on the 3rd December 1904 at a cost of £700.

A Sunday School building was added in 1916. This stood opposite the Chapel but was later demolished.

The Chapel closed in the late 1960s, and has been used as industrial premises ever since

Blackley Baptist Graveyard
There are 2 sections to the graveyard for Blackley Particular Baptist Church:

  • A small burial ground – known as Cartledge Yard
  • A larger area around the newer Church

Both burial grounds are now closed

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #1

Blackley Minister's House
The minister's house for Blackley Particular Baptist Church was built around the same time as the Church [1878]. It stood immediately north of the Church.

Rev Roger Briggs was largely instrumental in the building the Church, the schoolrooms and the Minister's House.

It was demolished in 19??.

The site is now the car park for the Church.

The Minister's residence is now in Victoria Road, Elland

Blackley Particular Baptist Church
Blackley Road, Elland. Built in 1789 by James Cartledge.

A new chapel was built in 1878.

See Godfrey Beaumont, Blackley Baptist Church Deacons, Blackley Baptist Church Graveyard, Blackley Baptist School, Blackley Centre, Blackley Baptist War Memorials and Charles Pearson

Blackmires Wesleyan Methodist Church: Graveyard
The burial ground for Blackmires Wesleyan Methodist Church, Northowram

Blackmires Wesleyan Methodist Church, Northowram
Founded 1819. It accommodated 400 worshippers [1845]

See Blackmires Wesleyan Methodist Church Graveyard and West End Methodist Chapel, Queensbury

Blackshaw Clough House Independent Church, Soyland
Recorded in 1819

Blackshawhead Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Before the chapel opened in June 1815, services had been held at Apple Tree.

The Chapel was built at Bull Green, on the site of a bull-baiting ring. The plans were borrowed from the chapel at Mankinholes. The members of the congregation prepared the land for the builders. It accommodated around 250 worshippers [1845].

A Sunday school was built in 1838.

The Chapel was rebuilt in 1912.

The chapel was enlarged in 1899.

 
Ministers at the Church have included


 

See Blackshawhead War Memorial and Blackshawhead Wesleyan Methodist Graveyard

Blackshawhead Wesleyan Methodist Chapel: Graveyard
The graveyard for Blackshawhead Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Blake Dean Baptist Church
Hardcastle Crags. An offshoot of Mount Zion Baptist Church, Heptonstall Slack built in 1820 to serve the community at Alcomden.

Because of the lie of the land, the Church was built into the hillside, and access to the gallery was by steps from the road behind the chapel.

The Speak family were associated with the church. James Speak and Clement Speak were organists there. It had an American organ.

On 25th May 1932, there was a robbery at the Church.

The Church closed in 1959.

The building was used as a scout hostel [1962]. It was vandalised and finally demolished [1971].

The graveyard is still there.

See The Green Lady of Blake Dean

Blake Dean Baptist Church, Widdop: Graveyard
The graveyard for Blake Dean Baptist Church

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #1

Bolton Brow Wesleyan Chapel: Graveyard
The graveyard for Bolton Brow Wesleyan Chapel.

In 1992, permission was given for the graves in the graveyard at the rear of the Chapel to be removed.

The graveyard was converted into the car park for the flats

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CDs entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #1 and Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #3

Bolton Brow Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Sowerby Bridge
Built in 1832 to replace Sowerby Bridge Methodist Chapel.

It is a 6-storey building.

The basement included warehouse facilities for the nearby Calder & Hebble Navigation. It was extended in 1868.

In 1897, a water-powered organ was installed to replace the Holt organ of 1858 which had been moved to the Sunday School. This was later moved to Christ Church, Sowerby Bridge. Details can be found in the National Pipe Organ Register.

The exterior was cleaned up in 1970.

The Chapel closed for worship – and was stripped of its fittings – in 1979.

 
Subsequent Ministers at the Chapel have included


 

In 1992, permission was given for the graves in the graveyard at the rear of the Chapel to be removed.

In 2006, there was a proposal to convert the Chapel into flats and a restaurant.

In 200?, the graveyard was converted into the car park for the flats

See Bolton Brow Wesleyan Sunday School

Booth Congregational Church

Booth Independent Church

See Booth Independent Church Graveyard

Booth Independent Church: Graveyard
Booth Independent Church was demolished in 1980, but the graveyard of the Church remains

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #1

Booth Manse
Booth Independent Church was demolished in 1980, but the Manse remains

Booth United Reformed Church

Booth Wood Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
In 1842, a number of Wesleyans met at Porridge Hall, Temple Terrace, near the Derby Bar, Rishworth.

The new building was constructed in 1854, at a cost of £300, and was rented by the Wesleyans.

Attendances fell in 1860 when Temple Mill, Rishworth burned down on 27th April 1860, and many workers had to leave the district.

Around 1900, the Wesleyans bought the Chapel for £160.

When attendances fell again, services were discontinued.

In May 1905, the Chapel was up for auction and was bought by Mr Lumb, a greengrocer, for £112 10/-

 
Ministers at the Chapel have included


 

Boothtown United Methodist Free Chapel
Aka Boothtown Road Methodist Chapel, Methodist Free Church, Boothtown.

Foundation stone laid on 28th July 1906. Opened on 23rd March 1907 by Mrs Eli Fletcher.

The first wedding took place here on 21st May 1908.

The congregation merged with that of Akroydon Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Boothtown when that church closed in 1964.

See Akroydon Wesleyan Methodist Memorial and Boothtown United Methodist Memorial

Boothwood Wesleyan Methodist Church, Rishworth
Recorded in 1890

Borough Cemetery, Halifax

Bottomley & Deanhead Chapel
A Sunday school was established in 1809 in cottages at Bottomley & Deanhead.

It soon proved inadequate. It was replaced by Bottomley Lane Foot Chapel.

See Deanhead Methodist Chapel

Bottomley Lane Foot Chapel, Todmorden
Built on land given by John Fielden of Bottomley, to replace Bottomley & Deanhead Chapel. Opened in 1818.

John Fielden gave the land for the school, on condition that he could send 1 scholar to the day school free of charge. An inscription above the door reads

The School was built by public subscription for instructing the children of all denominations

There was considerable local friction between the trustees and school committee over what was considered ambiguous wording of the inscription, were still continuing over 40 years. As a result, in 1861, when they could not agree the date of the annual Anniversary, 2 were held – one on August 2 and the other on August 18.

One Sunday each month was set aside for use by the Church of England. The Methodists used the building the rest of the time.

The building was extended in 1848

In 1876, it was superseded by Lanebottom Wesleyan Church

Bottoms Primitive Methodist Chapel, Walsden
Opened in 1860.

On 2nd September 1900, services were re-commenced

after the Chapel had been closed for some considerable time

 
Ministers at the Chapel have included


 

See Bottoms Primitive Methodist Sunday School, Walsden

Boulderclough United Methodist Chapel
Sowerby Lane.

In 1882, a new Chapel to replace the original Clough 'Oile Chapel, Bethel, or the Ranters' Chapel was erected by the congregation at a cost of £900.

A plaque from the original Chapel inscribed


Bethel 1822

Methodist New Connexion Chapel
is still retained.

In 1885, on account of lack of accommodation for school purposes, it was decided to build a new Chapel.

After 14 years of fund-raising for the £3,000, a new Chapel was designed in French Renaissance style by Sutcliffe & Sutcliffe and built in 1897. The corner stones were brought from the Holy Land by Wilkinson Pickles and laid by him on August 28th 1897.

The building is distinguished by the conical towers in the Arts & Crafts style, and the portico with 4 arches. The cost was £3000.

It opened on 1st October 1898. The Sowerby Bridge Chronicle describes the opening ceremony and other features of the new Chapel – see the link below.

The Chapel was upstairs and in the shape of a Greek cross.

The parapet is inscribed:

BETHEL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH REBUILT 1897

During the service on Sunday afternoon, 25th February 1906, a pipe in the heating system burst. The pipe passed beneath the choir and 5 of the 6 male choristers were severely injured by the escaping steam and hot water.

The church closed in September 1979. It was converted in private dwellings.

See Wright Bancroft, Boulderclough New Connexion Sunday School, Boulderclough United Methodist Chapel Graveyard, William Hanson, Ancient Order of Henpecked Husbands, Sidney Hollas and Sing

Boulderclough United Methodist Chapel: Graveyard
The graveyard of Boulderclough United Methodist Chapel

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #1

Bradford Parish Church

Bradley Hall Chapel
A private chapel at Bradley Hall, Holywell Green was recorded in the 16th century, but has since disappeared.

The Hall was badly damaged by fire in 1629. The family then moved to Methley Hall. The bells from the Chapel were taken to Methley Church

Bradshaw Primitive Methodist Church
The first church was built by Joseph Lassey in 18??.

The foundation stone for a new Primitive Methodist church was laid on 18th June 1864.

The church closed in 1964.

The church is mentioned in Graptolite's Stray Notes on Bradshaw

Bradshaw Vicarage
The vicarage for St John the Evangelist, Bradshaw was built around 1850, and is one of the oldest in the Wakefield diocese. In the early 1990s, the building was sold off to make way for a new vicarage which was built nearby in Riley Lane.

The old vicarage is currently [2009, 2015] in a parlous state.

See Vicars of Bradshaw

Bramley Lane Chapel, Lightcliffe: Graveyard
The graveyard for Bramley Lane Chapel, Lightcliffe lies behind the building. Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #4

Bramley Lane Church, Lightcliffe
/ Hipperholme.

The church was built in 1836 by the Hipperholme Wesleyan Methodists.

It was also known as the Bell Metal Chapel and Mount Pleasant Chapel

The building is now 4 back-to-back houses.

There is a small graveyard behind the building

Branch General Baptist Church, Ovenden
Another name for Lee Mount Baptist Church, Ovenden

Brearley Particular Baptist Church
Brearley Lane. Aka Brearley Bethel Baptist Church.

A meeting place had opened on 12th November 1845 and was known as Bethel.

Popularly, it was known as Little Faith because, in the event of the cause not succeeding, the meeting place could easily be converted into cottages.

In March 1846, 8 members – including James Fawcett, John Hodgson and John Riley – left Ebenezer Baptist Church, Hebden Bridge to established a Baptist cause in Brearley.

A new church was designed by Horsfall, Wardle & Patchett. It was built near the earlier chapel, on land given by John Hodgson and with the efforts of John Riley. It opened on 15th July 1875 and cost £3,000.

The earlier chapel was converted into houses, now known as Bethel Terrace.

In 1875, Brearley Baptist Church Day School was begun.

In 1887, a manse was built.

In the 1890s, 2 of the 3 mills in Brearley closed and the church suffered as people left the district to find work elsewhere.

The Church was demolished in 19??. Bethel Terrace stands on the site

Although it had around 40 members, for a time, there was no settled Pastor at the Church until 1853. Those who preached included William Fawcett, Stephen Fawcett, William Nicholson, William Littlewood of Rochdale, and F. H. Bowman.

 
Pastors at the Church have included


 

Some of those who fell in World War I and are remembered on the War Memorial in the Church, are listed on the Foldout for the book Royd Regeneration

See

Bridge chantry
A chantry chapel built on a river bridge.

There are examples at Rotherham and at Wakefield

Bridge End Congregational Church, Rastrick
The chapel opened in October 1779.

Around 1820, the increasing congregation demanded modification to the Church.

See James Barnes, Bridge End Congregational Manse, Rastrick, Mr Broomhead and Snowdrop Band

Bridge End Congregational Church, Rastrick: Graveyard
Burials are recorded in the graveyard of Bridge End Congregational Church, Rastrick from 1787.

Bridge End Congregational Manse, Rastrick
The manse for Bridge End Congregational Church stood next to Bridge End Sunday School, Brighouse on Bridge End, It was next to the Rising Sun and opposite the Star.

It is now a children's nursery.

See Rev John Meldrum

Bridge Street (Central) Methodist Church, Todmorden
United Free Methodist Church.

A group from the York Street Wesleyan Chapel established a United Free Methodist Society here in 1837.

They met in the York Street Sunday School, then at the Mechanics' Institute.

The church was built in 1838.

It accommodated around 650 worshippers [1845].

The Sunday School accommodated about 400 scholars.

The church was demolished in 1873.

The four corner-stones for a new building were laid on 2nd August 1873. The cost of construction was about £14,000. The new Church opened in 1875.

On 26th September 1908, a new 3-manual organ, built by J. J. Binns of Bramley, was inaugurated.

 
Ministers at the Church have included


 

The York Street Wesleyan Chapel and the Bridge Street (Central)  Methodist Church united in the former York Street Sunday School building

See Bridge Street (Central) Methodist Memorial and Bridge Street United Free Methodist Church, Todmorden

Bridge Street United Free Methodist Church, Todmorden

See Bridge Street (Central) Methodist Church, Todmorden and Bridge Street United Free Methodist Memorial

Briers, Southowram

Brigg Chapel, Sowerby Bridge

Brighouse Cemetery
Lightcliffe Road.

See Brighouse Cemetery Chapels, Brighouse Cemetery Lodge, Lightcliffe Old Church Graveyard, Robert Milner, Noble Fountain, Brighouse and St Martin's Church, Brighouse Graveyard

Brighouse Cemetery: Chapels
The chapel building for Brighouse Cemetery was designed by F. Bartram Payton and William Gray, and built by S. W. Dyson of Rastrick.

There are 2 chapels joined in a central tower.

The tower and spire is about 65 ft high.

Adjoining each chapel, and with separate entrances, are mortuaries which are divided from the chapels by arcades and glass screens.

Each chapel had a vestry.

They are now used as storage space for the grounds

Brighouse Parish Church

Brighouse Parish Church: Bells
On 30th April 1874, a peal of 8 bells was installed. Brighouse Parish Church.

The bells – by Mears & Stainbank of Whitechapel – cost £585 and had a combined weight of 3½ tons. They were hung in an iron frame weighing 3 tons.

The larger bells were the gift of Richard Kershaw and Benjamin Noble. These bear the names of their respective donors, and also the names of the vicar and the late churchwardens: Mr Thorpe and Mr Manley.

The smaller bells were paid for by a general subscription.

On 22nd May 1874, the bells were rung for the first time, and a special service was held at which the dedication form was read.

To mark the event, the Staff of Life pub in Commercial Street, Brighouse was renamed the Ring O' Bells

Brighouse Parish Church: Memorials
There are several memorials, inscriptions and epitaphs in Brighouse Parish Church.

Some are shown in the Photo Gallery.

See Brighouse Parish Church War Memorials, Miscellaneous Monumental Inscriptions and Miscellaneous Graves

Brighouse Parish Church: Organ
In 1848, the first organ – by Conacher – was installed at Brighouse Parish Church, replacing the earlier orchestra. Details can be found in the National Pipe Organ Register.

On 28th October 1874, the organ was replaced at a cost of £805 by one made by Conacher of Huddersfield.

The specification for the new organ was made by William Lockett, honorary organist at St mark's, Manchester. The newspapers of the time gave a detailed description of the organ.

The organist for the new organ was selected – at a salary of £50 per annum – in August 1874.

In July 1904, the galleries were removed and the organ was enlarged and moved.

In 1968, the organ by Wood of Huddersfield was brought here from St Chad's, Hove Edge.

Details can be found in the National Pipe Organ Register.

See Organists at Brighouse Parish Church

Brighouse United Methodist Free Church
Opened in 18??

Brighouse vicarage

Broad Street Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Halifax
Aka Broad Street Chapel and Wesley's Chapel, Broad Street

Broadstone Baptist Church, Colden
From 1836, services were held in 2 cottages at Longtail, Colden. There were about 500 people in the community.

In 1840, the first school-chapel was established at Tolley, Colden, as an offshoot of Mount Zion Baptist Church, Heptonstall Slack.

By 1853, larger premises were needed and a new chapel was built.

The first sod for a new chapel was cut on 19th September 1891 by Jonas Drake. The new chapel opened on 26th November 1892.

In 1923, a new organ was installed.

Closed in the 1950s.

In 1968, the congregation merged with Mount Zion Baptist Church, Heptonstall Slack.

The Church was demolished in 19??

See Broadstone Baptist Church, Colden War Memorial

Brunswick United Methodist Free Chapel, Halifax
Rhodes Street.

Opened in 18??.

 
Subsequent Ministers at the Chapel have included

  • John Naylor [1916]

 

Details of the organ in the Chapel can be found in the National Pipe Organ Register.

Closed in 1937.

It subsequently became business premises known as Brunswick House.

See Brunswick United Methodist Free Chapel World War I Memorial

Butts Green Baptist Chapel, Warley
The Baptist cause in the area had been active since 1783.

The Chapel was built in 1805. It was originally attached to the Johnsonians.

The upper floor of the building was the Chapel, and a Sunday School was on the ground floor.

It accommodated fewer than 100 worshippers.

 
Subsequent Ministers at the Chapel have included


 

The Chapel was in danger of closing in 1909, but members of the King family and others agreed that they would attend and that the Chapel should continue.

In the 1940s, it was decided to hold only fortnightly services; in the 1950s, this was changed to monthly.

During the 1950s, attendance fell to a congregation of about 6.

The Chapel was last used for worship in Summer 1958, and the last service was the funeral of Joseph P. Farrar [22nd August 1858].

The Chapel closed in December 1958.

The Chapel was demolished in 1959.

The graveyard is still there

Butts Green Baptist Chapel, Warley: Graveyard
The graveyard for Butts Green Baptist Chapel, Warley was taken over by Sowerby Bridge Urban District Council.

The graveyard remains but the Chapel has been demolished

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #1


A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z



© Malcolm Bull 2017 / calderdale@aol.com
Revised 18:14 on 23rd November 2017 / c109_b / 71