Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

B



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Ba Bd Be Bi Bl Bo Br Bu By


Baby Bounty Scheme

Baby Bunce
Miniature train. The engine was in service at Blackpool [1905] and at Halifax Zoo [1909] before coming to Sunny Vale Pleasure Gardens.

It was named Baby Bunce in 1922, when Lionne, daughter of James Farnell Bunce, was born.

When Sunny Vale closed, the engine was bought for a fairground in Newcastle and renamed Robin Hood

Bacchus Lodge, Halifax
Masonic Lodge. Established at the Bacchus, Halifax in 1769 – possibly by men involved in coining activities – despite protests from the Probity [No 61] Masonic Lodge. The Lodge was disbanded in 1783

Bache, Warley
Aka Bayche. House recorded in the 15th century. Owners and tenants have included

A Sunday School inaugurated by Christ Church, Sowerby Bridge was held here.

The name may be derived from Batt, possibly an early occupant.

The name was changed to Beech House

Back Brade Farm, Rastrick
Stands between Lower Edge and Upper Edge, Elland

Back Braid Farm, Rastrick

Back Clough, Wadsworth
Flows down to join Luddenden Brook

Back Hall, Exley
Backhold Lane, Siddal.

A 13th century homestead. It was rebuilt by Thomas Hanson in 1668. It was dated T H E 1668 for Thomas and Esther Hanson.

Owners and tenants have included

The arms of the Hanson and related families were inscribed over the south door.

There is a Greek inscription:

He that loveth houses and lands more than Me is not worthy of Me

and a Latin inscription:

Heaven not earth

It was later named Backhold Farm

This is discussed in the books Ancient Halls in & about Halifax and Halifax Antiquarian Society Transactions.

See Alice de Backhall, Backhold Lane, Siddal, William de Ecclesley, Exley, Robert Ramsden and Siddal Halls

Back Hall Royd Farm, Siddal
An alternative name for Backhold Royd Farm

Back Lane Parliament, Halifax
A group of Trustees who met in Back Lane, Halifax and governed Halifax before the town was incorporated in 1848

See Halifax Borough

Back o' t' Moon Farm, Siddal
An early name for Backhold Royd Farm

Back o' th' Church Dumpling
A pupil at Grace Ramsden's Back o' th' Church School, Elland

Back o' th' Moors Charity
Aka John Greenwood's Charity

Back Shaw
Area near the Walshaw Dean Reservoirs.

See Cascade, Walshaw Dean

Background information
The Foldout presents a number of terms which might be encountered when studying local and family history

Backhall
Area of the ancient Southowram township around Back Hall

Backhall, Alice de
[12??-1???] She married William de Ecclesley.

See Back Hall, Exley

Backhold, Exley
The name comes from Backhold Farm, a later name for Back Hall.

The area became a housing estate from the 1930s

Backhold Farm, Exley
/ Siddal.

Or Backhold Hall:

Later name for Back Hall, Exley.

See Backhold Lane, Siddal and Backhold Royd Farm, Siddal

Backhold Hall, Exley
Backhold Lane, Siddal. See Back Hall, Exley

Backhold Housing Estate, Exley
Stands on land which included Exley Bank Farm and Backhold.

See George Barker

Backhold Royd Farm, Siddal
West Lane.

Aka Backhold Farm, Back Hall Royd Farm, and Back o' t' Moon Farm The Foldout lists some owners and occupiers of the property

See West Field, Southowram

Backhouse
This name is found in Backhouse Lane and Backhouse Tunnel, both in the Salterhebble area.

See Bankhouse, Salterhebble

Backhouse, Clifford Charles
[1906-1982] Twin son of George Hughes Backhouse.

He and his brother Gilbert Hughes were educated at Crossley & Porter Grammar School.

After completing an apprenticeship at Brown Muffs in Bradford, they joined their father in the outfitters,

In 1938, he married Eileen Pinder in Halifax.


Eileen was the granddaughter of Ezra Pinder
 

Children:

  1. Andrew Pinder [b 1944]
  2. Helen [b 1947]

Backhouse, Father
[18??-19??] He was Priest at St Bernard's Catholic Church, Halifax [1930s] / Parish Priest at St Joseph's Catholic Church, Brighouse [1940s/1950s]

Backhouse, Foster & Travis
Stock and share brokers at 18 Crossley Street, Halifax [1874]

Backhouse's Gentlemen's Outfitters
Established by George Hughes Backhouse [1899] in the Palatine Chambers block built by Ezra Pinder

Backhouse, George Hughes
[1865-1950] Son of James Marshall Backhouse, farmer.

Born in Wistow, near Selby.

He was the 3rd of 12 siblings.

He was a live-in draper's apprentice to James Blacker, at Selby [1881].

For a short period, he became a farm servant at Farm House, Wheldrake, Langwith, York [1891], the village where his mother came from.

He then moved to London to join the staff of Spencer, Turner & Boldero, wholesale merchants, where he lived in.

Subsequently, he went to South Africa to travel for Baker & Company for 6 years and then with other import companies. He was in Johannesburg at the time of the failed Jamieson Raid

He travelled up country in Africa, selling what he described as

everything you can think of from a needle to a windmill

He used to call on Boer stores, making his treks with a four-horse cart driven by natives. He recalled having seen Cecil rhodes and Paul Kruger.

On his return from South Africa, he settled in Halifax and opened Backhouse's Gentlemen's Outfitters [1899] within Palatine Chambers, Halifax as it was being built by Ezra Pinder.

In 1901, he was living (single, as a boarder) at 20 Southgate, Halifax.

In 1902, he married Mary Jane Forth [1876-1943], a farmer's daughter from Copmanthorpe, in York.

Children:

  1. twins Clifford Charles
  2. Gilbert Hughes

After completing an apprenticeship at Brown Muffs in Bradford, both sons joined their father in the outfitters.

The family lived at 32 Rhodes Street, Halifax [1902, 1911].

In 1911, Mary Jane's mother, Frances Ann Forth [1837-19??], was living with them

Backhouse, Gilbert Hughes
[1906-1980] Twin son of George Hughes Backhouse.

He and his brother Clifford Charles were educated at Crossley & Porter Grammar School.

After completing an apprenticeship at Brown Muffs in Bradford, they joined their father in the outfitters,

In 1936, he married Dorothy Mary Whiteley in Halifax.

Children:

  1. Patricia Ann [b 1939]
  2. Catherine Rosemary [b 1944]
  3. David Hughes Walton [b 1945]

Backhouse, Henry
[1843-1906] He was a sculptor [1896] / a Freemason / a member of the St James [No 448] Masonic Lodge.

For the Royal Visit of 25th July 1896, Backhouse put on an exhibition which was lampooned by Joe Turner Spencer in the Halifax Comet.

He lived at Clipster Hall, Siddal.

Bacon, Benjamin
[16??-17??] Curate at Sowerby Bridge [1699]

Bacon, George
[1???-18??] Methodist preacher at Sowerby Bridge [1833]

Bacup Cotton Mill & Mining Company Limited
Weavers at Gauxholme.

In 1881, local mills were suffering a depression and their workers were on strike over rates of pay

Baddeley, Edward Lawrence
[1870-1915] Son of Dr William Bratton Baddeley

Born in Whalley, Lancashire.

He was an articled clerk [1891] / a solicitor [1911] / secretary for W. T. Glover & Company, cable makers / a member of Southport Yachting Club.

In 1881, he and his brother William Baddeley were living with their stepfather George Edward Emmet

In 1891, he was staying with his father-in-law Dr John Oakley.

In 1901, he was a boarder in Southport.

In 1911, he married Mary Elizabeth Oakley [1873-19??] at Halifax Parish Church.


Mary Elizabeth was the daughter of Dr John Oakley
 

They lived at

  • Brook Cottage, Coombs, Chapel-en-le-Frith

His military career began when he joined the Volunteers in Halifax and was promoted to Sergeant.

He joined the Southport Volunteers [around 1897].

During the South African Wars, he was engaged on military duty at Chester Castle.

During World War I, he served with the 1st/8th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers and attained the rank of Major.

He was mortally wounded in the Dardanelles.

He died 6th June 1915 (aged 45).

He was buried at the Lancashire Landing Cemetery, Turkey [A 10]

Baddeley, William Bratton
[1841-1872] Born in Wellington, Shropshire.

He was a general practitioner [1871].

In 1869, he married Mary Ann Brewer [1850-1???] in Clitheroe.


Mary Ann was born in Whalley, Lancashire, the daughter of Edward Brewer, farmer
 

Children:

  1. Edward Lawrence [b 1870]
  2. William [b 1872]

The family lived at Clitheroe Road, Clitheroe, Whalley, Lancashire [1871].

Living with them [in 1871] was Charles E Martin [aged 30] (assistant, a student from Dublin).

William died in Clitheroe [Q3 1872] (aged 31).

After his death, his widow married George Edward Emmet in Huddersfield [1877]

Baden-Powell, Sir Robert
[1857-1941] Founder of the scouting movement. On 9th July 1921, he inspected Halifax boy scouts and girl guides

Badger Hill Cricket Club
Formed in 1988. It was formerly the New Road Cricket Club

Badger Hill Reservoir, Rastrick
Brighouse Corporation reservoir opened in December 1957 to address the problems of low pressure in existing supplies. The reservoir is now filled in

Badger Lane, Hebden Bridge
There are remains of circular earthworks, 26 ft in diameter, here

Badrick, Vera
[19??-] Mayor of Hebden Royd [1989-1990]

Bage, Rev Albert
[1867-1944] FRSL.

He was a Primitive Methodist minister at Shipley before becoming Minister at Stannary Congregational Church, Halifax [1903, 1905].

He lived at 30 Milton Place, Halifax [1905].

He left and was at Congregational Church, Romsey [1909] & St Nicholas's Church, Ipswich [1916]

Bagnall, Mr
[18??-19??] Architect. Partner in Scott & Bagnall

Bagnall, Walter Henry
[1898-1915] He lived at 28 South Darley Street, Halifax.

During World War I, he served as a Boy 1st Class with the Royal Navy aboard the battleship HMS Venerable.

He died at Chatham Naval Hospital [13th February 1915] (aged 17).

He was buried at Woodlands Cemetery, Gillingham, Kent [20 1032].

He is remembered on the Memorial at Halifax Parish Church Church Members (WWI), on the Memorial at Halifax Town Hall Books of Remembrance, and on the Memorial at United Reformed Church, Carlton Street

Bagnold, Charlotte
[1798-1860] Daughter of William Bagnold.

Baptised on 10th August 1798.

In 1841, she succeeded her mother, Tabitha, as Halifax postmistress. The Bradford Observer [2nd December 1841] reported that

The appointment of Mrs Akers to the office of postmistress of [Halifax] in the room of her mother, Mrs Bagnold, who has resigned, has rather taken the inhabitants by surprise; and we think it is a general opinion that the interests of this large and extensive department ought to have been confided to some gentleman of active and business-like habits

She was Halifax postmistress [1845, 1850].

She married Robert Akers.

Their son, William, also worked for the Post Office.

She was one of the subscribers to John Horner's book Buildings in the Town & Parish of Halifax [1835].

She died at her home, Barum House, Halifax [3rd October 1860].

She was buried at St James's Church, Halifax.

Probate records show that she left effects valued at under £3,000. Her will was proved by her sons-in-law William Moore and John Stores Smith

Bagnold, Harriet
[1788-1812] Daughter of William Bagnold. She succeeded her father as Halifax postmistress in 1810. When she died, her mother, Tabitha, took her place. She was a close friend of Anne Lister

She was buried in Halifax Parish Church

Bagnold, William
[1747-1810] He was nephew of Mary Wainman.

In 1780, he married Tabitha Dewhirst.

Children:

  1. Caroline Frances who died in childhood
  2. Maria who died in childhood
  3. Harriet
  4. Charlotte
  5. William [1800-1818]
  6. Ann [1804-1818]
  7. John [b 1811-1840]

He became Halifax postmaster [1770s].

He retired in June 1810, and he was succeeded by his daughter Harriet.

He died on 17th October 1810,

after a lingering illness, sincerely and universally respected

Members of the family were buried in Halifax Parish Church

Bagot, Rev George
[1823-1883] Born in Kildoon, Kildare, Ireland.

First Vicar of St Matthew's Church, Lightcliffe [1869, 1881].

He married Agnes [1829-1???] from Liverpool.

Children:

  1. Edith [1851-1891] who married [1884] Henry Atkins(on) Carter from Worcester, in Lewisham

The family lived at

  • Iver, Buckinghamshire [1851]
  • West Field, Richmond, Yorkshire [1861]
  • Lidgate, Hipperholme cum Brighouse [1871]
  • Lightcliffe Vicarage [1881]

In 1851, his unmarried sister, Emelia Anne [b 1820] was living with them

Bagott, Rev Elijah
[1832-1899] Or Baggott.

Born in Darlaston, Staffordshire.

He was minister of St Bees.

In 1861, he and his unmarried sister, Rachel, were living with their widowed mother, Hannah, at Tattenhall Road, Wolverhampton. He was then listed as Minister at St Thomas Halifax.

First Vicar at St Thomas's Church, New Bank [1859-1899]. He stayed there for the rest of his life.

He was joint-secretary of the Halifax Church Institute [1865]

In 1863, he married Mary Yates Brevitt [1832-1899], also from Darlaston, in Walsall.

Children:

  1. Archibald Thomas [b 1864]
  2. Reginald Musgrave [b 1865]
  3. Sarah Brevitt [b 1868]
  4. Percy Granville [b 1869]
  5. Bertram Montague [b 1877]

The family lived at

  • The Vicarage, St Thomas Street, Northowram [1871]
  • The Vicarage, Horley Green Road, Claremount [1881]
  • The Parsonage, Leather Street, Northowram [1891]

Elijah died in the second quarter of 1899, and Mary died in the following quarter

Bagott, Rev George
[18??-18??] He lived at Carlton Street, Halifax. Curate at Parish Church of St John the Baptist, Halifax [1865]

Baht meat week
An event staged at Luddenden by Granada Television's World In Action programme in August 1975. The intention was to show that people can manage without meat. Most of the village's residents took part in the experiment in which – after a Last Supper of roast beef and Yorkshire pudding at Kershaw House – Luddenden was declared a meat-free zone for a week. A local butcher labelled his van Gastronomic Survival Squad. After the experiment, the village returned to normal with no converts to vegetarianism.

See Baht

Baildon, George
[1806-1856] Born in Halifax

He was printer / a bookbinder [1821]

On 19th November 1821, he married Ruth Hebblethwaite [1801-18??] from Halifax, at Halifax Parish Church.

Children:

  1. John [b 1821]
  2. Elizabeth [b 1829]
  3. William [b 1831] who was a printer
  4. Mary [b 1836] who was a book sticker/stitcher/sewer
  5. George

The family lived at

  • Old Bank P B, Southowram [1841]
  • Shroggs, Ovenden [1851]
  • Fork Lane, Ovenden [1861]
  • Brackenbed Lane, Ovenden [1871]

Baildon, George
[1840-1911] Son of George Baildon.

He was a master bookbinder [1821] / a master bookbinder employing 1 man and 1 female [1871] / a printer & master bookbinder employing 6 boys & 1 female [1881] / a printer & bookbinder [1891] / partner in George Baildon & Son / a commercial printer manager [1901] / printer with The Argyle Press Limited [1905] / managing director The Argyle Press Limited [1911].

In 1875, he married Susannah Foulds [1843-1909] in Halifax.


Susannah came from Ovenden
 

Children:

  1. Gertrude [1878-1941] who was a book sewer & folder at printing works [1901] and never married
  2. Florence M [b 1878] who was a fancy draper [1911]
  3. Annie Foster [b 1880] who was a bookkeeper at the printing works [1901] and cashier at an ironmongers [1911]
  4. Emilyetta [b 1882] who was a machinist at the printing works [1901] and a machinist (under clothing) [1911]
  5. Amy Hebblethwaite [b 1886] an elementary school teacher [1911]

The family lived at

  • 50 St Augustine Terrace, Halifax [1881]
  • 5 Franklin Street, Halifax [1891]
  • 15 Kingsley Place, Parkinson Lane, Halifax [1901, 1905]
  • 305 Huddersfield Road, Halifax [1911, 1941]

In 1881, George's sister, Mary, was living with the family.

Members of the family were buried at Christ Church, Pellon [3 I 24]

Baildon's: George Baildon & Son
They were letterpress printers at John Street, Halifax / Long Back Side, Halifax [1863], printers at Argyle Street, Halifax [1874].

See George Baildon

Baildon, Hugh de
[11??-12??] (Probably) son of Richard son of Essolf de Tong.

He witnessed a charter (undated, but probably 1195-1199)  of Alice daughter of Serlo de Poule.

Early researchers conclude that the land which Hugh held in Baildon was part of the land which his father inherited on the death of his uncle John

Baildon, John
[1791-1866] Son of Luke Baildon.

Born in Norland.

He was a bookseller, printer and publisher at Bull Green, Halifax / a bookseller [1851] / a stationer employing 1 man [1861]. He was in business from before 1822.

In 1813, he married (1) Henrietta Townsend from Halifax, in Halifax Parish Church.

Children:

  1. Benjamin [b 1817] who was book binder [1851, 1861]
  2. Elizabeth [bapt 1818]

In 1837, he married (2) Charity Holtby [1807-1861] from Ganton, Yorkshire, in Halifax

Children:

  1. Frederick [b 1839]
  2. Alice [b 1840]
  3. Ellen [b 1848]

The family lived at

  • 19 Bull Green [1837]
  • Bull Green, Halifax [1841]
  • 1 Bull Green [1845]
  • 99 Bull Green, Halifax [1851]
  • 6 Bull Green, Halifax [1861]

Baildon, Luke
[17??-1???] Painter.

He married Unknown.

Children:

  1. John

Bailey...
The entries for people with the surname Bailey are gathered together in the SideTrack.

The individuals listed there are not necessarily related to each other.

Bailey's: A. Bailey & Sons
Family grocer and provision merchants established by Albert Bailey. They had 2 shops in Westgate, Elland and in the building at the corner of Elizabeth Street / Southgate which was formerly the home of Albert S. Luty.

The business was sold to Mr and Mrs Lister.

The business closed when the Westgate premises were demolished in 1969

Bailey's: Albert Bailey & Sons Limited
Worsted spinners established in 1910 by Albert Bailey at Riverside Mill, Elland.

Business closed in 1975 when the Elland Bypass was to be built.

See Eliza Jane Lumb

Bailey & Sons
Mineral water manufacturers at Tower Works, Norwood Green [1905]

Bailey Hall Bridge, Halifax
A bridge over the Hebble at Bailey Hall.

In 1710, there was a petition concerning the parlous state of the bridge

Bailey Hall Conservative Club
Recorded in 1891 at 13 Bailey Hall Bank

Bailey Hall, Halifax
Area of Halifax between Caddy Field and Halifax Parish Church.

The name is probably a corruption of Bailiff's Hall and may have been the site of the house of the water bailiff along the banks of the Hebble.

Berry Lane leads from here to Halifax Parish Church

See Bailey Hall Bridge, Halifax, J. & J. Baldwin's and Bayley Hall, Halifax

Bailey, Isherwood & Company
Woolstaplers and cotton merchants at 5 Deal Street, Halifax [1905]

Bailey's: William Bailey Limited
Cotton spinners and manufacturers at Wadsworth Mill, Todmorden [1905]

Bailiff Bridge
District of Calderdale to the north of Brighouse at the junction of the Huddersfield to Bradford and the Halifax to Wakefield roads.

Bailiff Bridge & Anti-Vaccination
There were speeches and demonstrations against the vaccination acts in the district in April 1888.

In February, a Mr Dyson was fined 10/- plus costs for not having has child vaccinated. He refused to pay and sold his furniture, but money was raised by sympathisers to pay the fine

See Anti-Vaccination League

Bailiff Bridge & District Mutual Coal Supply Association Limited
Recorded in 1905

Bailiff Bridge Beck
The continuation of Royds Hall Beck, Norwood Green and Wyke Beck which flows into Clifton Beck at Bailiff Bridge

Bailiff Bridge Club
Established for the working men of Bailiff Bridge. It was financed by Thomas Freeman Firth and Sir Algernon Firth and opened on 19th December 1908. William Aykroyd financed the construction of a bowling green

Bailiff Bridge Co-Op
A new branch of the Brighouse District Industrial Society opened in 1876.

See George Carr Jessop

Bailiff Bridge Fountain

Bailiff Bridge Gas Company Limited
The company was formed in 185? to distributed gas supplied by the Brighouse Gas Company. Became a limited company in August 1875

Bailiff Bridge Library
Devon Way, Bailiff Bridge

Bailiff Bridge Police Station
Chris Helme tells me that
There wasn't a police station at Bailiff Bridge.

Up the mid-19th century, the only police were the Parish Constable, but once the West Riding Constabulary was created, Brighouse had its own policeman and because of the previous importance of Hipperholme they to got one and from that day Hipperholme which included Lightcliffe and Bailiff Bridge had its own police section. There was a police house in Bailiff Bridge and they had their own local Bobby from then and I was the last.

In the 1950s, this was the 2nd house on the left as you leave Bailiff Bridge going towards Lightcliffe – just passed what is now Devon Way

Bailiff Bridge Post Office
Opened in 18??.

See Brighouse Post Office

Bailiff Bridge Railway Station
The Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway station opened on 1st March 1881. There was a direct service from here to London Marylebone.

On 11th November 1883, the passenger platform at the station was blown down during a disastrous storm, and an engine was thrown off the rails, blocking the line for several hours.

In 1903, the wife of Joseph Hoyle was injured alighting at the station.

The station closed for passenger traffic on 2nd April 1917.

On 25th April 1929, the building was badly damaged by fire.

See Pickle Bridge Line

Bailiff Bridge Toll House
Tolls on the Bradford & Huddersfield Turnpike started in 1824. Bailiff Bridge Gate and Chains are mentioned in 1851.

The tolls were abolished in 1875.

The toll house was bought by Thomas Freeman Firth £for 70. It was demolished and Firth's extended their existing premises by building Clifton Mill on the site

Bailiff Bridge Working Men's Club
Recorded in 1915.

See Bailiff Bridge Working Men's Institute

Bailiff Bridge Working Men's Institute
Established in 1866 to provide elementary education for working men.

The Institute was at the cross roads at Bailiff Bridge.

The site was later occupied by Firth's Clifton Mill

Bailiff or Bailiffe?
There seems to be no consensus over the spellings Bailiff or Bailiffe.

It is said that the final E was dropped by the West Yorkshire Passenger Transport Authority or by Brighouse Borough Council.

Some usages – including Bailiffe Bridge War Memorial and Bailiffe Bridge School - have the final E, whilst others do not.

Eugene Harvey was a fervent campaigner in favour of the errant E

Bailiffe Bridge Working Men's Club
Recorded in 1877, when they sent a letter of condolence to Lady Salt, widow of Sir Titus Salt who had supported the institute

Baillie, Rev Johan Launcelot
[19??-19??] He was Curate at Lightcliffe [1947] and Curate at Illingworth [1949]. In 1952, he left to serve at Hightown, at Milborne St Andrew with Dewlish, at Lima, Peru, in the diocese of Chile [1970-1974] and at Felkirk with Brierley

Bain, Jim
[1???-19??] Member of King Cross Cricket Club [1930s]. In 1940, he scored 665 runs at an average of 72.77

Bain, Dr Roderick
[19??-] Of Stainland. First President of the Greater Elland Historical Society

Bainbridge, John Clifford
[1886-1916] Son of Mary I. & William Bainbridge of Park Farm, Richmond, Yorkshire.

He was educated at Crossley & Porter School.

During World War I, he enlisted in Northallerton, and served as a Company Sergeant Major with Y Company 4th Battalion Yorkshire Regiment.

He was killed in action on the Somme [17th September 1916] (aged 30).

He is remembered on the Thiepval Memorial, France, and on the Memorial at Crossley & Porter School, Halifax

Bainbridge, William
[1829-18??] Son of nail maker Isaac Bainbridge.

Born in Kirkby Stephen, Westmorland.

He was a coachman at Knaresborough [1857] / a groom [1858] / a coachman [1859] / a coachman at Harrogate [1861] / a coachman and domestic servant at Northowram [1871]

On 23rd November 1857, he married Elizabeth Hill [1838-1876] in the Ripon Cathedral.


Elizabeth was born in Swinton [2nd September 1838], the daughter of Mary (née Hapby/Haxby) & John Hill, a butler. At the time of her marriage, Elizabeth was a servant and she lived at Sawley
 

Children:

  1. Jane [b 1858] who was a winder at worsted manufactory [1871]
  2. John [b 1859] who was a bobbin setter at worsted manufactory [1871]
  3. Martha [b 1864]

The family lived at

There is no record of William after 1871.

On 27th August 1875, shipping records show Elizabeth and the children – all sailing under the name Prest – departing from London with a Christopher Prest [age 36] aboard the Toowoomba. They arrived in Rockhampton, Queensland on 22nd December 1875.

Elizabeth died on 7th July 1876 (6 months and 16 days after arriving in Australia). At some time, Jane and John reverted to the name Bainbridge but Martha remained a Prest

Baines...
The entries for people with the surname Baines are gathered together in the SideTrack.

The individuals listed there are not necessarily related to each other.

Baines & Marshall
Brush manufacturers at West Parade Brush Works, Halifax [1905]

Baines Clock & Cabinet Makers
Established by Mr Baines.

They made long-cased (grandfather's) clock.

Later, they moved into cabinet-making

Baines, Dewhirst & Company
Worsted spinners at Rastrick [1874]

Baines Hatters
Halifax hatters.

Several members of the Baines family have been linked to the business, including John Baines, Samuel Baines and William Baines

Baines Square, Brighouse
The site of 3 mills – Victoria Mills, Prince Albert Mill, and Canal Mill – owned by Samuel and John Baines. Rev Benjamin Firth built a mill here. Samuel bought the land from James and Henry Noble in 1849.

Baines Row was a part of the site and Baines built Britannia Mill there

Baines, Whiteley & Rushworth
Stone quarrier at Marsh Quarry, Southowram [1896] Partners included Mr Baines, Mr Whiteley, and Mr Rushworth

Bains, Elnathan
[16??-16??] Curate at Sowerby Bridge [1663]

Baird, W. J.
[18??-19??] Physician and surgeon at Sowerby Bridge [1905].

He was one of the medical men who attended those injured in the Pye Nest Tram Disaster

Bairns' Fund
Organised by the Halifax Courier & Guardian. Recorded in 1930

Bairstow...
The entries for people with the surname Bairstow are gathered together in the SideTrack.

The individuals listed there are not necessarily related to each other.

Bairstow
An old name for the eastern – Shibden – side of Beacon Hill.

The name probably means bare place.

Early members of the Bairstow family are recorded here.

In her journal [11th August 1820], Anne Lister distinguishes Bairstow from Beacon Hill.

See Bairstow and Lower Bairstow, Sowerby Bridge

Bairstow & Fielding
Wholesale clothiers at 3 Carlton Place, Halifax [1905]

Bairstow's Brass Workers, Halifax

Recorded in 1911, when Vincent Kelly was employed as a brass cutter


Question: Can anyone tell me anything about the Company? The name of the Company? Where they were located? Who founded the business?

 

Bairstow Brothers
Worsted spinners at the former Mixenden Corn Mill between 1845 and 1898. They became a spindle-making company established at Albany Spindle Works, Pellon by Fred and Frank Bairstow

Bairstow Brothers
Pawn brokers at Woolshops, Halifax [1850]

Bairstow Brothers (1985) Limited
When Willis & Bates Limited ceased trading in 1997, and the business was taken over by Bairstow Brothers (1985) Limited.

They continued to produce the Vapalux and other products for which Willis & Bates Limited were known.

In 2010, the rights to manufacture these products were sold to a Korean company and production was moved overseas

Bairstow Brothers & Company
Machine makers at Forest Mills, Ovenden [1864].

Partners included Thomas Bairstow, John Bairstow, Henry Peel, and Thomas Hudson Oldfield.

The partnership was dissolved [17th September 1864] as to John Bairstow. The business was carried on by Thomas Bairstow, Henry Peel, and Thomas Hudson Oldfield

Bairstow Common, Halifax
Land at Bairstow owned by the Bairstow family around 1400

Bairstow's: Joseph & Israel Bairstow
Coach proprietors at Halifax.

Partners included Joseph Bairstow and Israel Bairstow.

The partnership was dissolved in March 1839

Bairstow's: Paul Bairstow's Charity
In 1711, Rev Paul Bairstow left a farm and land at Meopham in Kent to a group of trustees – including John Tillotson – such that they might sell the property and buy an estate in or near Halifax.

Out of the income from this estate, the trustees were

  • To provide a school at Sowerby
  • To pay 20/- per annum to a Minister for preaching a sermon on the Feast of St Michael, the Archangel
  • To keep the grave of Bairstow's father – in Sowerby churchyard – in good repair
  • To distribute the remainder to poor persons in Sowerby who were not in receipt of alms

Bairstow, Warley
An area of Warley around Bairstow Lane

Baistow, Abraham
[1799-18??] Born in Ovenden.

He was a dyer [1861] / a Wesleyan Reform Preacher [1861].

He married Alice [1800-1???].

They lived at 7 Mill Gate, Elland-cum-Greetland [1861]

Bait Ings Mill Spinning & Manufacturing Company

Baitings
Hamlet in Soyland.

In 1316, William and John of Wolrumwall [Wormald] were fined 6d for allowing beasts to escape on to land at Baytings.

This is discussed in the books Halifax Antiquarian Society Transactions and Our Home & Country.

See Baiting and Blackstone Edge Roman Road

Baitings Bridge
A stone bridge is mentioned in 1787.

It was submerged when Baitings Reservoir was constructed in 1956. It can be seen when the waters subside in times of drought.

A modern bridge was constructed nearby

Baitings Farm, Ripponden
Blue Ball Road. House dated RPP 1682.

The name Baitings suggests that this was a resting place for stage coach and packhorse travellers on the route over Blackstone Edge between Lancashire & Yorkshire.

Owners and tenants have included

Now 2 private dwellings

Baitings Reservoir, Ripponden
The reservoir was one of 3 – Baitings, Ryburn, and Booth Wood – to be built for Wakefield & District Water Works.

Baitings and Ryburn are on the river Ryburn above Ripponden. Booth Wood is on Booth Dean Clough.

It was built upstream of Ryburn reservoir in order to catch the water that was going to waste. A 6-mile long catchwater drain brings water to the dam from Cragg Vale.

It was begun in 1948, and officially opened on 3rd May 1957 by the A. Guy Webster, the Mayor of Wakefield, and Henry Brooke, Minister of Housing and Local Government.

The cost was £1,420,000. During construction, it was known as New Top Reservoir.

Three men died during the construction of the reservoir: