Hamilton Catholic High School
Hamilton High School
High Schools of Hamilton
Notre Dame Academy
Wilson Junior High
Middletown High School
St. John Catholic School
Morgan Township Schools
Morgan High School
Oxford High School
Reily Road School
Union School, College Corner
Union School, Oxford
St. Clair Township
Union Township Schools
Union Twp. Centralized
Miami University, Oxford
Western College for Women,
The History of Education in Butler County
|In the early years of the county, the advantages of the public school
system were not available to the pioneers of the area. Instead, those
who wanted an education for their children had to rely on various private
schools and academies. These early academies were often conducted
in the home of the teacher who would instruct children of various ages.
Often the teacher was a minister, one of the few occupations which usually
required some degree of higher education.
||Eventually, publically supported schools were organized. Initially,
most of the schools were one-room school houses which were situated throughout
|Most townships operated approximately eight to ten separate schools.
In these schools all of the grades were taught.
The larger communities supported multiple schools. Some of the communities
such as Shandon, Venice, Hamilton, Trenton, and Middletown were also able
to support high schools. The first class to graduate from Hamilton High
School was in 1862. Beginning in 1885, the high school implemented
two courses of study: Latin-English and German-English.
|By 1920, many of the school districts began to change their system
of elementary education from multiple one-room schools to one centralized
school. Among the first centralized schools in the county was Fairfield
Township Central School, built in 1929. At that time there remained 4,000
one-room school houses in Ohio.
© 2000, Butler County Historical Society