Dunnigan, Yolo County, California
The Man with the Vision:
Phillip, (who was better known as P.T. Laugenour); changed the name of the store to P.T. Laugenour General Merchandise (as seen in the photo above).
P.T. Laugenour was a well known Yolo County banker and Colusa County cattleman. He was the President of the Winters Savings Bank in Winters, CA - and one of the founders. He was also a founding member of the Woodland Elks Lodge.
P.T. Laugenour and his wife, Kate (Jones) Laugenour, were also historically known for their land contribution allowing for the Dunnigan Union Church to be built in the 1890s. P.T. Laugenour was the President of the Dunnigan Union Church Committee as well.
Six Years Later, in March of 1898: Tragedy struck.
The store and other buildings burned by the fire were never rebuilt. The Laugenour Banking Company was officially dissolved by 1925.
The dead-air vault today shows the evidence of building collapse and blackened bricks from the fire it endured over 100 years ago.
1890-1898 Woodland Daily Democrat News Clips:August 19, 1890 "This will make the finest store in town"
RELATED WEBSITES:Henry W. Laugenour Find-A-Grave Memorial
*Please note that the bank vault is located on private property. Trespassing is prohibited.