|On October 19, 1836, the TELEGRAPH AND TEXAS REGISTER newspaper lists Isham Phillips as postmaster at Peach Creek station. The Peach Creek postal station was in the home of I.B. Phillips residence, situated on the east bank of Peach Creek, on a labor of land (177 acres) purchased from Wm. Kincheloe, out of the upper Wm Kincheloe League A-38. |
This site was also next to the croosing for the road between San Felipe and Matagorda. Post Office Papers of the Republic of Texas, paper #3 found on page 28, lists the routes upon which the Texas mails were carried by whom and at what price. Listed is route #11 between San Felipe and Matagorda carried weekly for a distance of 90 miles contracted by Jones & Slaughter for the consideration of $1000.00. On page 36 of this same publication Mail Route # 11- San Felipe to Matagorda is shown as San Felipe to Isham Phillips house 35 miles;Phillips to Cook P.O. 25 miles;Cooks to Matagorda 30 miles, for a total of 90 miles. On page 188 of the same publication it shows Mail Route #14 from Matagorda to Columbus, 110 miles via Preston, Peach Creek and Egypt weekly service. Page 90 :March 31, 1839, Peach Creek Post Office lists A. Jackson (23 years of age) to be Post Master. On pages 215 -218 postoffices and their postmasters are listed; Peach Creek, Colorado County, Alexander Jackson.
On April 7, 1841, the Peach Creek postal station is abolished and transferred to Kincheloes Crossing. Kincheloe’s Crossing is only ¼ mile west of the Peach Creek postal station, and it too is on Peach Creek. James E. Moore is listed as the postmaster of Kincheloe’s Crossing.
Although Phillips’ residence is no more than ¼ mile distance from Moore’s residence, the two are in two separate counties, with Phillips being in Matagorda County (at that time it is now Wharton County) and Moore being in Colorado county.
The border of the A. Jackson League and the Wm Kincheloe League was the boundry line.
The National Archives and Record Services, General Services Administration, Washington, D.C., show that when Wharton County was created the Postmaster at Peach Creek was Thomas Thatcher, who served from May 22, 1846 to July 1, 1847, when mail was then transferred about 2 miles away to the newly formed postal station of Wharton, with Gabriele Eagan serving as first Postmaster. Peach Creek ceased to exist as a postal station afte that date.