Dr. Thurman McCloud Neal
Dr. T.M. Neal was born September 22, 1888, in Alleyton, Texas, the son of W.F. and Sarah Ann Wright Neal. The family moved to Wharton in 1897.
Following his graduation from Tulane medical School in New Orleans, Dr. Neal married Miss Mae Vineyard and they moved to Glen Flora where Dr. Neal practiced for several years.
He then moved to Wharton to continue his general practice of medicine. Later he went to New York for study, specializing in eye, ear, nose and throat medicine and surgery. Then he returned to practice in Wharton.
As a civic leader, Dr. Neal probably headed more charitable drives than any man living today. They varied from the Wharton High School Band's need for uniforms to the United Fund which he headed for six years. He loved children. He was a friend to minority groups.Still he was able to devote time to vast farming and ranching interests, particularly in his later years.
Dr. Neal died at his home following a lengthy illness on November 3, 1962. As a tribute to his life, his widow, Mae Vineyard Neal, donated the building which now houses the Wharton Chamber of Commerce. This facility was dedicated on June 28, 1970.
Back To Wharton County Doctors Index Back To Wharton County Research Index
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids