DR. JACK PHILLIPS
Dr. Jack Phillips was born on December 21, 1839 in Alabama. He graduated from the University of Louisiana School of Medicine in 1860, and took post graduate work in anatomy at the University of Philadelphia. During the Civil War he served as Surgeon under General J.E.B. Stuart.
He came to Texas in 1865, looking for his brother. He met Shanghai Pierce and was asked to make his headquarters on his ranch. Later he moved to the Grimes Ranch in Matagorda County, where there was a "Hide and Tallow" factory.
When Wharton began to develop, Dr. Phillip entered practice in Wharton and resided here until his death from pneumonia on May 28, 1904.
After moving to Wharton, he met and married Margaret Louise (Miss Lou) Galbraith. They had eight children, four of whom died in infancy. One son, Phil, born October 20, 1872, graduated from Kentucky School of Medicine, in 1894 and practiced medicine in Wharton until his death on December 12, 1901. Their daughters were Mrs.Margaret P. Moreland, Mrs. Helen P. McElvy and Mrs. Eula P. Moreland.
Dr. Phillips owned Central Drug, Wharton's only drug store at the time. In 1890, A.A. Rugeley came to work as his druggist and purchased the store in 1895 and operated it until 1932. After Mr. Rugeley's death, R.A. Rugeley, his son, took over the store.
Dr. Phillips served as the first president of the Association of Physicians and Surgeons of Wharton County, which was organized on January 19, 1899. Dr. Phil Phillips was it's first secretary.
The above card was found in the United Daughters of Confederacy papers.
Back To Wharton County Doctors Index Back To Wharton County Research Index
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids