One of a series on early Iago families compiled by Mrs. Esther B. King - editor.
Miss Lydia Buller moved to the Iago community in 1907 from Peters, Texas. She came with her mother, Ernestine Ahldag Buller, to be near other close relatives.
Loren P. Tabor, better known as "Doc" came from Missouri in 1910. He came with his parents, James Madison Tabor and Rachel Miranda Tabor, and two sisters, Ollie and Miranda. The Tabors came looking for better farming advantages.
They purchased land 2.1 miles north of Iago on what became known as the Frank Barker Road. They built a two-story home and successfully engaged in farming.
Shortly after the Tabors moved into their new house, the folks in the community went over for a housewarming. That was when Lydia and Doc met. In Fact, Lydia had seen his picture over the mantle before meeting him and then and there decided that she would try to capture him, and the rest is history.
Lydia and Doc were married in 1913 in the old Ahldag home in Wharton. Ahldag was Lydia's uncle - her mothers brother. That house was recently torn down and moved to Old Caney Road and restored. For their honeymoon they took a train from Wharton to San Antonio.
The L.P. Doc Tabors took an active part in community activities; church, PTA and game parties. Doc and Lydia loved to play "42" this community's favorite party game.
They belonged to the Christian (or Disciples of Christ) group of the Union and Federated Church. Doc served on the church board for many years.
They had three children, W.O. Bill and wife Joyce live in Iago. They have one son, Billy Wayne and one grand-daughter, Crystal.
Rachel Tabor Sandlin lives in Boling and Wynelle Tabor Coskey and husband Johnny have two children: Carol Sue Coskey Hearn and William Alan Coskey.
Although the house and land has long since been sold, it is still known as the old Tabor homeplace.