Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

History of Greene County, Pennsylvania

 

JOHN P. TEAGARDEN, attorney at law, was born at the old Teagarden homestead in Richhill Township, Greene County, Penn.  His father was Colonel Isaac Teagarden.  His mother’s maiden name was Sarah A. Parker.  The family is of Prussian origin, and the ancestry is traced back many generations.  Abraham Teagarden was an educated civil engineer, and came from Prussia to America in 1744, located first at Philadelphia, Penn., where in 1745 he married Miss Mary Parker, of English birth.  Their oldest child, William Teagarden, was born in Philadelphia on the 17th day of January, 1746.  Some time after this Abraham Teagarden, with his family, moved to Western Pennsylvania.  He was one of the first white men who attempted to make a settlement in this part of the State.  Tradition tells of the many thrilling adventures he and his family had with the Indians.  William Teagarden was married to Bethia Craig, of Maryland.  Shortly after this Abraham and William Teagarden, and two other families named the Hughes and Hupp, made the first settlement attempted in the limits of Greene County, near where Clarksville now stands.  Old Fort Red Stone, near Brownsville, was the nearest fort or place of refuge from the savage marauders.  William Teagarden and his wife, had, one occasion taken refuge in old Fort Redstone, and it was there, on March 6, 1775, that Abraham Teagarden, grandfather of John P. Teagarden, was born.  Abraham Teagarden secured a liberal education for those days.  During the Indian wars following, he enlisted as a private soldier in General Wayne’s army, and remained in the field until peace was restored.  He married Nancy McGuier, and immediately moved to lands he had located in Richhill Township and in West Finley Township, Washington County.  His first house was on the old Teagarden homestead in Richhill Township.  Twelve children were born to them, the third being Isaac, the father of John P. Teagarden.  Isaac Teagarden was born April 12, 1807.  He was a mill-wright by occupation, and built many of the mills in this and Washington County.  When the slavery question arose he was among the first to array himself on the side of liberty and equal rights.  He assisted in the organization of the so-called Abolition party and cast one of the first votes for that party in this county.  He voted for Birney, the Free-soil candidate for President, and continued to act with the party of freedom, voting for all its candidates, until the organization of the Republican party in 1856, when he connected himself with that party, and remained steadfast to its principles till the time of his death, June 20, 1886.  He was elected Colonel of the Forty-sixth Pennsylvania Militia and was commissioned Colonel by Governor Ritner in 1838, for three years.  When the war of the late Rebellion came, he, at the advanced age of fifty-four, enlisted in Company F, Eighty-fith [sic] Pennsylvania Volunteers.  He participated with his regiment in the battle of the Peninsula and before Yorktown.  He was a member of the Christian Church.  His family consisted of four children—Phoebe Jane, Charity Louise, John Parker and Thomas L., the latter having died early in childhood.  Phoebe Jane Teagarden was one of the prominent teachers of the county, but she abandoned that profession and commenced the study of medicine, which she completed in a three years’ course at the Woman’s Medical College at Philadelphia, graduating from that institution in the class of 1882.  She then immediately commenced the practice of medicine at Waynesburg, where she now has a large and lucrative practice.  Charity Louise Teagarden is also a teacher of prominence, and is at present a teacher in the Union school of Waynesburg, a position she has held for the past twelve years.  John P. Teagarden commenced life as a teacher.  In 1869 he went to Iowa to teach school, and in the fall of that year commenced the study of law under the tutorship of W. W. Haskel, of the Oskaloosa, Mahaska County bar, and was admitted to practice in the several courts of Iowa in 1871.  He returned to the home of his parents in Richhill Township, and in 1872 the entire family moved to Waynesburg.  He was admitted to practice at the Greene County bar in 1872, and later to the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania and the United State Courts, and has continued in the practice ever since.  He is a Republican in politics, and has always taken an active interest in political affairs.  In 1878 he was tendered the Republican nomination for State senate in the Fortieth Senatorial District composed of Greene and Fayette counties; and while he was defeated, yet he materially reduced the large Democratic majority in the district.  In 1880 he was elected Presidential elector and cast one of Pennsylvania’s votes for General James A. Garfield for President.  He served two years as Secretary and three years as Chairman of the Republican County Committee.  He was elected burgess of Waynesburg borough two terms, was a member of council two terms, and is a prominent member of the I. O. O. F. of this county.  He was married in 1885 to Miss Mary E. Davis, of Waynesburg.

 

Page 711-713

 

History of Greene County, Pennsylvania

Samuel P. Bates

Nelson, Rishforth & Co., Chicago. 1888

 

Transcribed by Annette Bame Peebles

The Greene County, Pennsylvania Biographies Project – http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~arkbios/Greene/index.html.

Date of Transcription: 7 June 2007

Copyright (c) 2007 – All Rights Reserved