Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

History of Greene County, Pennsylvania

 

J. W. ELY, physician, Waynesburg, Penn., was born in Whiteley Township, this county, September 24, 1855.  He is a son of George and Mary (Warrick) Ely, who were natives of Washington County and moved to Greene County in 1840.  Mrs. Ely departed this life December 30, 1887.  Dr. Ely remained on the farm with his parents until he was eighteen years of age, at which time he began teaching school through the winter, and going to school during the summer months.  He acquired his education in the select schools and Waynesburg College.  The Doctor was married, June 23, 1878, to Lucy, daughter of Godfrey Gordon, of Waynesburg.  Mrs. Ely was born August 9, 1857.  They have one child, Mary R., born August 11, 1880.  In August, 1878, Dr. Ely opened a store at Garards’s Fort, and in April of the next year he moved his store to Newtown, Penn., where he received a large patronage.  On June 22, 1879, his store and entire property was destroyed by fire; but not being easily discouraged, he began the study of medicine with Dr. Sherbino, of Waynesburg, and graduated at the Medical College of Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1882 with high honors.  He then returned to Waynesburg, and took Dr. Sherbino’s place in the practice and has secured a liberal patronage in the county, being its only homeopathic physician.  He is a Republican, and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

 

Page 660-661
History of Greene County, Pennsylvania
Samuel P. Bates
Nelson, Rishforth & Co., Chicago. 1888

Transcribed by Annette Bame Peebles
The Greene County, Pennsylvania Biographies Project – http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~arkbios/Greene/index.html.
Date of Transcription: 17 November 2008
Copyright (c) 2007 – All Rights Reserved