Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

History of Greene County, Pennsylvania

 

WILLIAM G. W. DAY was born in Waynesburg, this county, the 28th day of January, 1828, in a log house that stood on the lot adjoining the ground on which the Cumberland Presbyterian Church now stands.  His father was Aaron D. Day, once well known in the county.  He was a brick-maker by trade, carried on the business for many years, and many building, public and private, stand as monuments to his skill and industry.  He was born in New Jersey and came to Pennsylvania, with his father, when a small boy and settled wiih [sic] the family in Morris Township, Washington County, and died in Waynesburg in June, 1863, aged seventy-five years.  The paternal grandfather of the subject of this sketch, whose name was Moses Day, was born in Wales, and was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, serving seven years, lacking three months, when at home on a furlough on account of a wound received at the battle of Bunker Hill.  The subject of this notice spent his early life in the country home, where he attended the subscription school three months in the year, and later on was a student at Waynesburg College a part of two sessions; but bad health compelled him to abandon study and gave up his purpose of a college course and pursue a different life for the time.  His first active business in life was in riding as constable for over two years, being re-elected to the office.  He was among the first officers appointed under the Internal Revenue law, holding the position of storekeeper and gauger for about three years, having received his appointment in the winder of 1866.  After this he was twice elected a member of the Town Council of the borough of Waynesburg, and for a number of years was a member of the board of trustees of Waynesburg College and one of the building committee of the new building.  In 1870 he purchased the Waynesburg Republican newspaper, organ of the Republican party of Greene County, and was editor and proprietor of the same for fifteen successive years thereafter, making a success in his new venture, and publishing, as admitted by all parties, the best newspaper ever before edited in the county.  It was his paper that introduced the propriety and said the first word in favor of building a narrow-gauge railroad to Waynesburg; and alone, without encouragement and through much ridicule, he persisted for months in writing up the enterprise, and in personal efforts, until finally friends enlisted in the cause and the road was built.  Mr. Day married Jane M., daughter of L. L. Miner, Esq., once one of the leading attorneys at the Waynesburg bar, and three children was the result of this union—a daughter, Marguerite, and two sons, Lawrence Minor and Lewis Edwin  Mr. Day is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and a trustee of the church property at Waynesburg.

 

Page 656-657
History of Greene County, Pennsylvania
Samuel P. Bates
Nelson, Rishforth & Co., Chicago. 1888

Transcribed by Annette Bame Peebles
The Greene County, Pennsylvania Biographies Project – http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~arkbios/Greene/index.html.
Date of Transcription: 11 November 2008
Copyright (c) 2007 – All Rights Reserved