Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

History of Greene County, Pennsylvania

 

JOHN CALL, agent for mill works, was born in Oak Forest, Greene County, Penn., September 21, 1833.  He is a son of James and Sarah (Hoge) Call, also natives of this county, and of Scotch lineage.  His father was a farmer and miller.  He owned and operated a mill at Oak Forest for over forty years.  He died in 1872.  His family consisted of eight children, of whom the subject of our sketch is next to the youngest.  He was reared at Oak Forest, attending the common school, and early in life learned the miller’s trade with his father; in 1851 commenced working at millwrighting; in 1875 commenced contracting and building in Waynesburg, following that business for eight years, during which time built the jail and sheriff’s house.  He afterwards learned the new milling process, and contracts for and builds roller mills.  He also takes contracts for other buildings.  Since 1884 he has been engaged with the Roller Mill Company of Waynesburg.  In 1855 Mr. Call married Miss Elizabeth, daughter of William Fry.  Mrs. Call was born in Center Township, this county, and is of German origin.  They have four children, viz: William W., Mattie E. (deceased), Emma S. and Lafayette G.  Mr. and Mrs. Call are members of the Baptist Church.  He moved to Waynesburg in the year 1871.

 

Page 653-654
History of Greene County, Pennsylvania
Samuel P. Bates
Nelson, Rishforth & Co., Chicago. 1888

Transcribed by Annette Bame Peebles
The Greene County, Pennsylvania Biographies Project – http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~arkbios/Greene/index.html.
Date of Transcription: 11 November 2008
Copyright (c) 2007 – All Rights Reserved