History of Greene County,
E. W. WOOD, farmer, Oak Forest,
Penn., is among the representative
wool dealers of Greene
County. He was born in Franklin Township,
October 28, 1837. His parents were John
D. and Nancy (Crichfield) Wood, also natives of this county, where they
married and remained until their death.
Mr. Wood departed this life September 26, 1876, and his wife
1849. They had a family of seven
children, of whom five are living. E. W.
Wood was untied in marriage, October 17, 1867, with Mary J. Patterson,
born in Whiteley
county, September 11,
1844. She was a daughter of William and
Rhoda Patterson, also natives of Greene County,
therein through life. To Mr. and Mrs.
Wood were born five children, of whom four are living, viz: C. Endsley,
Edward, Mary, and Charles B. (deceased).
Mr. Wood is a tanner by trade, in which he engaged until
years of age. He then enlisted in
Company K, Fifteenth Pennsylvania Cavalry, and served his country three
years. He is a member of McCullough
Post, No. 367, G. A. R. When the war was
over he engaged in the wool and stock business, and also farmed
extensively. He is the owner of 160 acres
of land where he
and family live. Mr. Wood is a member of
the M. E. Church, of which his deceased wife was also a devoted member. She departed this life January 30, 1881, and
by her death the family was bereft of a kind and affectionate wife and
History of Greene
Samuel P. Bates
Nelson, Rishforth & Co., Chicago.
Transcribed by Annette Bame Peebles
The Greene County,
Biographies Project –
Date of Transcription: 18 June 2007
Copyright (c) 2007 – All Rights Reserved