History of Greene County,
O. S. PHILLIPS, farmer, P. O. Hunter’s Cave, was
born in Washington County,
August 21, 1829. He is a son of John and
Lida (Rutan) Phillips, the former a native of Greene and the latter of Washington County, where they were married
remained until about the year 1844. They
then moved to Greene
Mr. Phillips death, which occurred at Fairfax Court House during the
rebellion. After his death his widow
lived with her son O. S., with whom she made her home until her death. Mr. O. S. Phillips was united in marriage,
1, 1850, with Charity Graham, who was born on the farm where she
August 16, 1833. Her parents were George
and Sarah B. (Mason) Graham, natives of this county and residents of Center Township
until their death. To Mr. and Mrs.
Phillips have been born the following named children—George W.,
wife of Simon Moore; Samuel O., Belle L., wife of W. McCullough;
Benjamin F., Sadie
L., Dora M., Birdie W., Olive C. and Guy C.
The deceased are Rhoda A. and Willis B.
Mr. Phillips was raised on a farm and has been engaged in
stock-growing all his life. He owns
about 440 acres of land in Greene County. In politics he is a Democrat, has filled the
office of school director in his township, and he and his wife are
members in the Methodist Episcopal Church.
History of Greene
Samuel P. Bates
Nelson, Rishforth & Co., Chicago.
Transcribed by Annette Bame Peebles
The Greene County,
Biographies Project –
Date of Transcription: 13 June 2007
Copyright (c) 2007 – All Rights Reserved