References: History of "The River Thames" NZ, by A M Isdale. Published 1967. 5000 copies, sold for 90c or 9/-.
· Thames Goldfield opened 1/8/1867
· 1st proper hotel - Captain Butt's Shortland Hotel opened 29/8
· 1872 80 hotels listed (Auckland had 111)
· 112 different hotels noted, peak estimated to be 90 at one time
· Hotels had entertainment, shows and music
· Pacific Hotel boasted a visit from Duke of Edinburgh 1870
· 1874 Temperance Society wanted 31 Hotels closed
· 1876 Licensing Commission bought numbers down to 68
· As goldfields declined they were closed, converted, demolished
· In 1950 there were 13 hotels, the Licensing control, 6 were marked for closure: Exchange, Shortland, Post Office, Royal Park and Queens. Hotels to stay were: Warwick Arms, Brian Boru, Imperial, Salutation, Cornwall Arms, and Lady Bowen (name transferred to the Park). Today the Imperial, Salutation and Brian Boru remain.