Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
THE STREETS OF THAMES: OLD & NEW
Introduction: Hopefully this is a but a small step to remember, locate and record the old streets of Thames. The aim being to find relevant history on the streets. If you have any information to add please let me know, all comments & contributions welcomed.
NB. (See bottom of list for notes, references and where Street maps can be accessed)  
Early Street Directories give several other Lanes, Hills, Creeks as place of residence. As more information is gathered the list will be updated.
Last Updated 15/09/09
Street Name General Comments & Background Information On 1860's Mining Map? On 1910 Cleave's Map? On 2009 Map? "ZOOM IN MAP" LINK
ABINGDON PLACE Parawai area. Named in honour of the town's sister borough, Abington on Thames, England. (Ref 12) N/A N/A YES Click here
ABRAHAM STREET Was North of Williamson St, running parallell to this street. Running West from Pollen Street, through Queen and Owen Streets to the sea.
"This no longer exists and commercial buildings have been constructed on it. How ever it was named after Aperahama Te Reiroa who was a major landowner. He was forced by James Mackay to allow the Waiotahe Block to be opened up for goldmining who had threatened to send Te Reiroa's sons to jail" (Ref 1.)
YES YES NO N/A  
ALBERT STREET On the 1860's map, Albert street led to the GRAHAMSTOWN wharf (at its west end), the east end ended at Pollen Street. Later maps show Upper Albert Street continuing up the hill. YES YES YES Click here
ALEXANDER CLOSE Part of Booms Sub-division), Parawai. The BOOMS subdivision completed its 1st stage in 1992 (Ref 1) NO NO YES Click here
ALFRED STREET On early maps the north part of Mackay Street (between Cocharane & Pahau intersects) is labelled as ALFRED STREET. Also on these early maps the present day ALFRED STREET, (which extends from Clarence to Grey St), used to run through to FENTON street (now the Thames Kindergarton/South School area). Alfred and Princes Street, thought to be named after Queen Victoria's husband. (Ref 12) YES YES YES Click here
ANNE STREET Street no longer exists, ran parallet to ELIZA Street, to the south. Stirling Street ran thorugh the street, it ran from the sea in the west to Graham Street (now Tararu Road) to the East. YES N/A NO N/A
AMY STREET (TARARU) On the 1860's map there was also an AMY Street at Tararu (as well as in Thames township), running parallell between Wilson and Robert Street. This street no longer exists.
Amy was a daughter of Robert Graham, the street probably named after her.(ref 5)
YES N/A NO N/A
AMY STREET (THAMES) On the 1860's map, Amy Street in the Grahamstown area is marked but not named, later maps have the street named, and unchanged from how it is today. YES YES YES Click here
ASH STREET On 1860's map, Ash Street is in present position, it started at Graham Street to the West (now Tararu Road) and ran through Union Streeet, ending to the west at Tararu Road. YES N/A YES Click here
AUDLEY STREET Shown on Graham's plan for Tararu, above Smart Street. It may never have existed, except on plans. (Ref 5) NO NO NO N/A
AUGUSTUS STREET On the old maps AUGUSTUS Street was shown as running from KARAKA Road in the North, to Parawai in the South (what is today PARAWAI ROAD). Now Augustus street is divided in 2 sections; Augustus Street North (North end linked to St Patricks Row by steps and ending at Franklyn street) and Augustus Street South (North end at Richmond Street to Hape Creek at its south end. Steps crossing Hape creek and joining Pleasant Wood Place). YES YES YES Click here A. North and look to right for south
AWAKITE Located up the Kauaeranga Valley N/A N/A YES Click here
BAILLIE STREET Baillie Street has been on the maps from 1860's running from Karaka Creek (north) to Hape Creek (south) at Mackay Street intersect. As the 2009 map shows, it has changed dramatically, now the north end is at Richmond Street. Parts have been closed ie. A section from Sealey Street to Richmond Street (where the High School is located), the part from Karaka Creek to Mary Street (where the present Hospital is) and the section from Mary Street to Sealey Street has been renamed COURT Street. Baillie Street named after Thames Warden Allan Baillie. (Ref 12) YES YES YES Click here
BANKS STREET On the 1860's map, the unnamed  street runs from Augustus Street (now Parawai Road) to the East and to Alfred Street (West). By 1910's Alfred Street has shortened and Banks Street is labelled as being from Augustus Street to Bowen Street (now Rolleston Street). Today Banks Street is longer running from Parawai Road to Jellicoe Crescent. Named after Mr J E Banks of Walter and Banks, Auckland butchers. Mr Banks had been asked by Mr Mackay if he could open a slaughterhouse at Parawai to supply the settlers with meat. (Ref 12) NO YES YES Click here
BARBARA STREET Street no longer exists, ran parallet to FORD Street, it ran from the sea in the west to Graham Street (now Tararu Road) to the East. Stirling Street started at the sea end of Barbara Street. YES N/A NO N/A
BARRETT ROAD Parawai area. This was the Eastern approach of the old Kauaeranga Bridge. Further information on the bridge at "The Treasury" website. (Ref 11) N/A N/A YES Click here
BEACH ROAD On the 1860's map there is no BEACH ROAD, althought there is an unnamed road (where Brown street meets Cochrane Street and along to Pahau Street. The 1910's Cleaves map has this section now extending to Mary Street and called BEACH ROAD, as well as the portion of road from Albert Street  to Coromandel Street intersect. Today Beach Road runs from Burke Street (north) to Albert Street (south). YES YES YES Click here
BELLA STREET (TARARU) This street no longer exists it ran parallel to Robert Street (north) and Barabara Street to the south. The sea was at the west end, Stirling Street intersect, then ending at Graham Street (now Tararu Road) at the east end.
Bella was a daughter of Robert Graham, the street probably named after her.(ref 5)
YES N/A NO N/A
BELLA STREET (THAMES) Bella Street - named after a member of the Woods family, Miss Isabella Kerr.  When she was aged about 6 years old she was returning from school one afternoon, and passing the Queen of Beauty Mine, she stopped to see what the man with the tripod was doing.  He was the surveyor mapping out the streets for the township of Thames .  Looking at her as she stood on the muddy track, he asked what her name was.  “Bella”, she replied, and he said he would call the street after her. (Ref 13)
On old maps Bella Street ended south end at Baillie Street, which ran right to the Karaka Creek, along the Hospital. The north end of the road remains the same, starting at Campbell Street.
YES YES YES Click here
BLISS PRIVATE WAY A road up the Kauaeranga Valley. N/A N/A YES Click here
BOOMS AVENUE Part of Booms Sub-division, Parawai. On maps as THE BOOMS AVENUE. The Boom's area, named after Boom's Hill, east of the racecourse. An area where the Kauri logging booms were in the river. (See article at "The Treasury" by D Wilton) N/A N/A YES Click here
BOWEN PLACE Parawai area. N/A N/A YES Click here
BOWEN STREET South end of ROLLESTON STREET, when street was in 2 parts, it was from Hape Creek to BANKS STREET.On another early map Bowen Street is the north section of Pollen Street (from Campbell to Mary Street intersects).(NZ Map 7012) Named after Sir George Bowen, early Governor of the colony. (Ref 12) YES YES NO N/A
BROAD STREET Street didn't exist on 1860's map. On 1910's map it runs from Campbell  to Princes Street. Today the roads meet at the east end by pedestrian steps. A detailed map of Grahamstown 1869 shows Broad Street with 2 small streets running off it to the north side; Short and High Street. (Ref 3a) Broad Street named after Thames Warden Lowther Broad. (Ref 12) NO YES YES Click here
BROWN STREET On all maps, running from Williamson Street intersect to Cochrane Street (south). Now includes road to Mary Street, that on older maps was named as another part of Beach Road. "Named in the memory of Mr John Brown, who was the first president of the Miners' Association in Thames He was also largely responsible for the formation of a club to aid the sick and injured," sadly he was one of the first drownings. (Ref 12) YES YES YES Click here
BRUNTON CRESCENT Road did not exist on early maps. Street laid out and houses built here from the mid 1960's. Named after Brunton family who were farmers in the area; Brunton's paddock still exists on south side of Hauraki Terrace. Mr W T C Brunton was Mayor of Thames for many years from 1959. (Ref 11) NO NO YES Click here
BULL'S LANE "Leading from Karaka Road to the old Battery site is a lane known as BULL's LANE" "From Bull's there is a further lane, Following the course of the old Water race to the battery. This is known as REDWOOD's LANE" (Ref 10). Today just Redwood Lane remains. NO NO NO N/A
BURKE STREET 1860's road did not exist, by 1900's map Burke Street is short running from Pollen & Owen Street intersect (east) to the sea at Beach Road. Then is marked the Burke St Wharf. With the Moanatairi reclamation, Burke Street now runs much further west. See note below* Burke Street was named because Mr Paddy Burke had a hotel opposite Price's Foundy. (Ref 12) NO YES YES Click here
CAMPBELL STREET On the 1860's map, the street is not named, by 1910 Campbell Street is recorded. NO YES YES Click here
CENTENNIAL AVENUE Part of reclaimed land known as Moanataiari. See note below* NO NO YES Click here
CLARENCE STREET On the 1860's map, this street is in existence but unnamed, bordering a large "green area" given as the residences of W H Taipari & Jas Mackay. Linking Alfred Street to Bowen Street (later called Rolleston Street). The Street is named on the 1910's map. Named after the Duke of Clarence. (Ref 12) NO YES YES Click here
COCHRANE STREET On the 1860's map, at the sea (west) end of Cochrane street was the HOLDSHIPS Wharf. YES YES YES Click here
COLLARBONE ROAD Road not included on the early maps, but is mentioned as residential address in early directories and Electoral rolls. (Collarbone Road, Hill or spur) N/A N/A YES Click here
COLLINS STREET On two sources this street is identified as being between Abraham & Burke Street; parallel between Beach Road and Owen Street. (Ref 4 & 5). Ref 5 has in brackets "McLarens Lane". NO NO NO N/A
COOK STREET Cook Street on the 1860's map is unnamed, and the name is assigned to present day VERNON Street (on the opposite side of the Hape Creek). The street identified as COOK Street, off Hape Road was unnamed on the 1860's map. It is correctly identified on the 1910's map. Could have been named after Capt James Cook or Mr Joseph Cook, who was prospecting the area 1856-8. (Ref 12) YES YES YES Click here
CORA PLACE Parawai area. N/A N/A YES Click here
COROMANDEL STREET Street doesn't exist on 1860's map. NO YES YES Click here
COURT STREET Court street in name didn't exist on early maps, it was a small section of Baillie Street.. Baillie Street running from Karaka Creek (north) to Hape Creek (south).  Changes to land useage, cut Baillie Street in half, the portion from Mary Street to Sealey Street, now known as COURT Street. NO NO YES Click here
CRAWFORD DRIVE Part of a Sub-division at Totara. The Totara Palms Sub-divions 1st stage was completed in 2000. NO NO YES Click here
CURRIE STREET Parawai area. N/A N/A YES Click here
DANBY STREET The old maps have an unnamed road linking Mill Street (going across Hape Creek) to Vernon Street, Grey Street and Hauraki Terrace.The south portion of this would be close to the present day Danby Street that runs along the border of Shortland Cemetery. Street named after Mr Howard Danby, then Chairman of the THS Board of Governors, & owner of Danby's Shoe Shop, Pollen Street, Thames. (Ref 11) NO NO YES Click here
DAVY STREET Street unchanged. YES YES YES Click here
DEEBLE ROAD Opposite Thames Aerodrome. Only a short street today, but was the western access to old Kauaeranga Bridge until 1925. Further information at "The Treasury" website. (Ref 11) N/A N/A YES Click here
DE HIRSCH STREET Location given as De Hirsch Street, Grahamstown in 1876 Electoral Roll. Two men residing in this street: James Muskett and Henry Parslow. Possibly named after James De Hirsch a miner, associated with many early claims (Many references on PapersPast) NO NO   N/A
DICKSON STREET Not included on early maps. NO NO YES Click here
DUKE STREET A small street running of Keddell Street, no longer in existence. In the 1875 Street Directories, several families are living at Dukes Road. NO YES NO N/A
EDWARD BULLEN PLACE Part of a Sub-division at Totara. The Totara Palms Sub-divions 1st stage was completed in 2000. N/A N/A YES Click here
EDWARD STREET On the 1860's map the name of the street was TOMMY's LANE, the 1910's map had the name as EDWARD Street and it remains that today; a narrow road running from Sealey Street (south) to Sandes Street (north end). NO YES YES Click here
ELIZA STREET Road no longer exists, it ran parallel to Rennie Street to the north. YES N/A NO N/A
ELM STREET A small street running from Graham Street (west) to Union Street, Tararu. It no longer exists. YES N/A NO N/A
ENSOR STREET Not included on early maps.Extends down onto reclaimed Moanatairi land. See note below* Named after Mr Sidney Ensor, MBE, who for record 28 1/2 years was Mayor of Thames. (Ref 12) NO NO YES Click here
EYRE STREET This now is all part of Queen Street, on 1860's map EYRE & QUEEN Street met at Pahau Street intersect. YES NO NO N/A
FENTON STREET 1860's map the street ran from Hape Creek (west) to Augustus Street, now Parawai Road (east). YES YES YES Click here
FERGUSSON DRIVE Part of reclaimed land known as Moanatairi. See note below* Named after Sir Bernard Fergusson, Governor-General 1962-67. (Ref 12) NO NO YES Click here
FORD STREET A small street running from Graham Street (east) to the sea (west), It no longer exists. YES N/A NO N/A
FRANKLYN STREET (FRANKLIN STREET) On 1860's map the street is called MURPHYS LANE. The 1910's map has the street as FRANKLIN Street and also includes a road just north of it (now known as GRAHAM Street).Later maps have the spelling as FRANKLYN Street. Possible it was named after a famous explorer of the same name, and that Cook St was named after Capt James Cook. (Ref 12) NO YES YES Click here
FIR STREET A small street running from Graham Street (west) to Union Street, Tararu, It no longer exists. YES N/A NO N/A
GARDEN PLACE Parawai area. N/A N/A YES Click here
GOLDEN CROWN STREET The north end of Owen Street (from Burke to Haven Street) was labelled as the location of the ALL NATIONS HOTEL (Ref 5) NO NO NO N/A
GRAFTON ROAD Parawai area. N/A N/A YES Click here
GRAHAM STREET (Tararu) The 1860's map has part of the road we know as TARARU road called GRAHAM Street. Running from Tararu Creek to the North, to ELM st in the south (just north of Ash Street). YES N/A NO N/A
GRAHAM STREET (Thames) On 1860's map the street is not named, on the Cleave's 1910's map it is called FRANKLIN Street, with the present day Franklin street which is just below it also named the same. Later maps call the street GRAHAM Street. NO N/A YES Click here
GREY STREET On the old maps the street is drawn as extending from opposite Shortland Wharf right up to a road running in front of present day Shortland Cemetery.(photo confirms this). The street now ends at Heale Street and the set of steps known as Jacobs ladder. The top portion of the street used to be known locally as UPPER GREY STREET, but now appears on maps as MOUNT PLEASANT.
Named after Governor George Grey (Sir George Grey). (Ref 12)
YES YES YES Click here
HAPE ROAD "Hape Road - The Ngati Maru ancestor and chief Te Hape. His pa was Pukerahui." (Ref 1.)
Unchanged except early maps show Hape Road connected to MILL Street and extending a short distance to the east. Today Hape Road ends just below Mill Street.
YES YES YES Click here
HARVEY CRESCENT Street didn't exist on early maps. Street named after Harvey family who were small farmers in the area. Harvey's orchard, to the west existed till recent years when the land was sold and housing was built there. (Ref 11) NO NO YES Click here
HAURAKI TERRACE "Hauraki Terrace - The north wind." (Ref 1.)
On old Maps Hauraki Terrace extended west meeting at Augustus Street (now Parawai Road). This would have been in the area of present day OAKLEY CRESCENT. Now it ends at the intersect of Bruntons Crescent and Tui Place.
YES YES YES Click here
HAVEN STREET Postion unchanged. NO YES YES Click here
HAYS PLACE Parawai area. Named after Mr J A Hays, former borough forman. (Ref 12) N/A N/A YES  
HEALE STREET On old maps running from Grey Street (North) to Banks Street (south), now the street extends further south a short distance towards the Kauaeranga River. Named after Theophilus Heale, a prominent MP and mining man. (ref 12) YES YES YES Click here
HEREWAKA STREET "Herewaka Street - A safe mooring place for canoes." (Ref 1.) N/A N/A YES Click here
HIGH STREET A small Street running off Broad Street to Upper Albert Street. No longer in existence. NO YES NO N/A
HILL STREET On old maps Hill Street started in the north at an intersect with St Patricks Row, continuing south to the Hape Creek. Today the street ends north above the area, that looks down on St Patricks row, there are no steps connecting the two roads, ??if this connection was only ever on paper or a simple track. YES YES YES Click here
IRISHTOWN ROAD This road does not apear on these early maps, but Street directoried of this time show residents living at IRISHTOWN. NO NO YES Click here
IVY STREET A small street running from Graham Street (west) to Union Street, Tararu. To the East of no longer existing BARBARA Street, It no longer exists. YES N/A NO N/A
JELLICOE CRESCENT This road didn't exist on the early maps. This street was built in 1925. After the original Kauaeranga bridge (near the race course) was washed away in May 1925 (article on "The Treasury" Website), a new bridge was built on the current site,  ie near Rhodes park.The bridge was opened by the end of 1925.  A new approach road was required, to link the bridge to the south end of town (Parawai Rd was the main road in/out while the old bridge existed) & that was named Jellicoe Cres, after Lord Jellicoe who was Governor General 1921-1924. (Ref 11) NO NO YES Click here
JELLICOE LANE This road didn't exist on the early maps NO NO YES Click here
KARAKA ROAD "Karaka Creek Road - Named after the many Karaka trees which grew along the banksof the stream" (Ref 1.)     YES Click here
KAUAERANGA VALLEY ROAD This area not covered on early Thames maps, although in existence and referenced in early Directories and Electoral rolls.Te Kauaeranga translations: ‘the stacked row of jawbones’
The name has been given various meanings over the generations. “Te Kauae-ranga originally commemorated the stranding of a pod of whales in the area.” Later relates to “fallen Ngāti Huarere Chiefs,” the name referring to a row of jawbones set out following a battle. At the mouth of the Wai-whakaurunga River was a large pā (where the present town stands). “In 1842 this area was given the name Shortland after the then acting governor of New Zealand Willoughy Shortland, transliterated by Hauraki Māori as Hoterini. The Ngāti Maru chief Te Hauāuru Taipari also adopted the name Hoterini (Shortland) and called his son Tīkapa, Wirope, after Sir Willoughby.” (Ref 14)
N/A N/A YES Click here
KEDDELL STREET On the 1910's map running from Campbell Street Up to Princes Street, with 2 small streets running off it. These are shown on the Detailed Map of Grahamstown, the streets are DUKE and SOPHY Street. (Ref 3a) Today the Street is a driveway, leading to a house. Keddell Street named after Thames Warden Jackson Keddell. (Ref 12) NO YES NO N/A
KINGSFORD PLACE On old maps this road did't exist NO NO YES Click here
KIRKWOOD STREET Road not on 1860's map, on the 1910's map the street is same as the present day street, running from Albert Street to Pahau Street. Kirkwood Street named after Mr Robert Graham's brother-in-law. (Ref 12) NO YES YES Click here
KOROKORO CRESCENT Road as of 3/2009 not recorded on the 2009 yellow pages map, but it appears on google map and in the local telecom directory. Running southwards of Hauraki Terrace, situated above the William Hall Reserve. NO NO NO Use Kingsford Place link
KURANUI EUREKA ROAD Area not covered on early maps.In early Electoral rolls many men lived at Eureka and Eureka Hill. Name for the area probably from the Eureka claim, at the head of the Kuranui Hill.(Isdale, Ref 5) N/A N/A YES Click here
KURANUI STREET "Kurunui Street - Probably namd after the full blooming of Pohutukawa trees as it means "a large red head plume". It is also the name of an important ancestor." (Ref 1.) YES YES YES Click here
LAMBERT STREET Street didn't exist on 1860's map. On 1910's map onwards it is recorded, running from Sealey Street (North) to Richmond Street in the south. The Street only meets in the middle by pedestrian steps. Named after a Government Official. (Ref 12) NO YES YES Click here
LAURIE LANE Totara Area. N/A N/A YES Click here
LOGAN PLACE Parawai area. N/A N/A YES Click here
LOWE AVENUE Parawai area. N/A N/A YES Click here
MACKAY STREET On the early maps, the north end of present day Mackay Street is called ALFRED STREET (from Cochrane to Pahau Street).
The Street is named after JAMES MACKAY, Appointed Civil Commissioner for the Hauraki Goldfield in 1864. (Ref 8) James Mackay was the first warden and Maistrate of Thames. (Ref 12)
YES YES YES Click here
MANGOTAHI ROAD Kauaeranga Valley area. N/A N/A YES Click here
MARAMARAHI ROAD "Maramarahi Road - The moon in great fullness. " (Ref 1,) N/A N/A YES Click here
MARGARET PLACE A street at Moanatairi (reclaimed land). See note below* N/A N/A YES Click here
MARIE PLACE Parawai area. N/A N/A YES Click here
MARSHALL CRESCENT Parawai area. N/A N/A YES Click here
MARTHA STREET On 1860's map Martha street is slightly longer, instead of being from Cochrane to Pahau street, it runs further north to meet at Campbell Street. (Through area where Thames Museum is located). YES YES YES Click here
MARTIN STREET Parawai area. N/A N/A YES Click here
MARY STREET No change in location or length, but names it intersected with vary over the years. Eg Baillie Street now Court Street and Eyre Street now Queen Street. Conflicting claims for naming of this street. Thought to be named after Mary Ann Polkinghorne, daughter of a prominent early settler; or after Chief Taipari's first wife, MAry. (Ref 12) YES YES YES Click here
McLARENS LANE This street is identified as being between Abraham & Burke Street; parallel between Beach Road and Owen Street. Ref 5 has its name brackets beside COLLINS STREET. NO NO NO N/A
MERRIMANA DRIVE Part of a Sub-division at Totara. The Totara Palms Sub-divions 1st stage was completed in 2000. NO NO YES Click here
MILL STREET Location and length unchanged; early maps show Hape road intersecting Mill Street, this is not the case today. YES YES YES Click here
MILLINGTON PLACE Parawai area. N/A N/A YES Click here
MITCHELL STREET Street not recorded on early maps, except on the Map "The Hotels of Old Thames" (Ref 5) NO NO YES Click here
MOANATAIARI CREEK ROAD Creek marked, but no street recorded. NO NO YES Click here
MOANATAIARI STREET "Moanatairi Street - A plentiful species of small shark (dogfish or rig) in the coastal waters." (Ref 1.)
A street at Moanatairi (reclaimed land). See note below*
NO NO YES Click here
MONUMENT ROAD No sign of road on the early maps. NO NO YES Click here
MORE CLOSE Part of a Sub-division at Totara N/A N/A YES Click here
MOUNT PLEASANT ROAD The area around this road was known in early records as Mount Pleasant. On old maps this road was Grey Street, and then known as Upper Grey Street, before changing to Mount Pleasant Road. NO NO YES Click here
MOUNT SEA ROAD Parawai area.
Street Directories 1883 onwards have people living at Mt Sea Road. "Parawai, once considered to be the area where only "gentlemen" resided, had its own type of "estate" which had been named after the Mountsea Estate in England." When the land was subdividied the road serving the area was called Mount Sea Road. (Ref 12)
N/A N/A YES Click here
MOUNT VIEW ROAD Parawai area. N/A N/A YES Click here
MURPHYS LANE Name changed to FRANKLIN, now FRANKLYN STREET. Early directories name the area as Murphy's Hill or Street. YES NO NO N/A
NGATI MARU HIGHWAY Area south of Kauaeranga river, not included on early Thames maps. N/A N/A YES Click here
OAK STREET On the old map there is a small street parallel, to the south of ASH Street, which ended in at Union Street. It would be in the vicinity of the old Tararu School grounds. YES N/A No N/A
OAKLEY CRESCENT This road which goes ease off Parawai road, is in same location as the end of Hauraki Terrace which ended at Augustus Street (now Parawai Road) on old maps. NO NO YES Click here
OHAENE ENTRANCE Located up the Kauaeranga Valley N/A N/A YES Click here
OWEN STREET Location unchanged, although some references have the north portion (between Burke and Haven Street) named as Golden Crown Street. Named after a Government Official. (Ref 12) YES YES YES Click here
PACKTRACK ROAD Located up the Kauaeranga Valley N/A N/A YES Click here
PAHAU STREET "Pahau Street - Named after the Maori Land owner Pahau Ngatawa who lived on the land and cultivated it." (Ref 1.)
On 1860's map Pahau Street ran from Bella Street (East End) to the sea. By 1910 map the street at the west end ends at Queen Street.
YES YES YES Click here
PAKARAKA Located up the Kauaeranga Valley N/A N/A YES Click here
PARAWAI ROAD "Parawai Road - The local area was flood prone and resembled an outspread cloak." (Ref 1.) Until 1925 Parawai Road was the main way in and out of Thames, but in May 1925 the original Kauaeranga Bridge was washed away; the new bridge was built in a differnet location. (See "The Treasury" website for further information) (Ref 11)
Parawai Road as we know it today runs in the north from Fenton Street, out through Parawai to the Kauaeranga Valley Road (by the Thames Racecourse). On the old maps this street is part of Augustus Street. Parawai Road was also in existence in early street directories.
NO NO YES Click here
PLEASANT WOOD PLACE Street does not occur on the early maps, rather It is drawn as a continuation of Augustus Street.
Named after:  Mt Pleasant Road and the Wood family of Thames who had Wood's Grocery Store in Grahamstown from 1886.  George Wood had the street named after him, he also was a grocer, was on the Thames Borough Council, and volunteer librarian for Thames Hospital.  He lived on Mr Pleasant Road.  Hence the name the Council gave to the street was Pleasant Wood Place.(Ref 13)
NO NO YES Click here
POLLEN STREET Location unchanged.
Probably named after Dr Pollen. "The goldfield was opened by proclamation of the Deputy-Superintendent, Dr Pollen, on 30 July 1867." (Ref 8)
YES YES YES Click here
PRICES AVENUE This street runs off Robert Street, ? Part of the old STIRLING Street on the 1860's map. NO N/A YES Click here
PRINCES STREET Today the street runs off Upper Albert Street. On the 1860's map it did not exist, by 1910 it was named, but it intersected with Broad Street (only steps connect them today) and just south also with Keddell Street. Keddell Street does not join Princes Street today. Alfred and Princes Street, thought to be named after Queen Victoria's husband. (Ref 12) YES YES YES Click here
QUEEN STREET On 1860's map Queen St ends at Pahau st, south from this is EYRE Street. Queen Street named after Queen Victoira. (Ref 12) YES YES YES Click here
REDWOOD LANE Lane is not recorded on the early maps, but is on Map Ref 4. In Book on Bulls Battery, appears that by 131 Karaka Road was BULL'S LANE that then met REDWOOD LANE. Redwood Lane named after JOHN REDWOOD who lived at end of lane and was a Battery Manager for many years.(Ref 10) NO NO YES Click here
REGENT HEIGHTS Street was not In existence on early maps. This subdivision was originally a small knoll east of the road between Vernon & (then) Upper Grey Streets. The knoll was dug away and soil carted down to the foreshore to create Danby field (adjacent to Queen Street), for the High School. Work carried out approximately 1964/5 and Danby Field was opened 1966. (Ref 11) NO NO YES Click here
RENNIE STREET On 1860's map Stirling St ran through Rennie St and Rennie St from the sea (west) to Graham st (now Tararu Road) at the east end. YES N/A YES Click here
RESERVOIR ROAD Parawai area. N/A N/A YES Click here
RICHMOND STREET Location unchanged. Richmond Street named after "Hon. James Crowe Richmond, who at the time of the opening of the goldfield, was the Commissioner of Customs." (Ref 12) YES YES YES Click here
ROBERT STREET On the old map Robert Street crosses Graham Street (now Tararu Road) and continues to the hills in the East, past Union Street, Tararu Road and Smart Street. YES N/A YES Click here
ROLLESTON STREET  1860's Rolleston Street started in the north ar Mary Street and ended at Willoughby Street. A large green area marked on the map for the residences of W H Taipari & J Mackay. The Street started again at Clarence Street intersect and ended at an unnamed Street (Banks Street) but this section was called BOWEN STREET, On the 1910's map the street sections are now joined the name Bowen Street is placed by the Fenton Street intersect (?where the two streets start). Today Rolleston Street runs from Mary Sreet ending past Banks Street, adjacent to the Kauaeranga River. Many felt street named after first bakers in Karaka area, but they spelt their name ROLLESON; others believed it to be after Hon William Rolleston, a Cabinet Minister. (Ref 12) YES YES YES Click here
SANDES STREET Unchanged on all maps, running from Karaka Road to Hape Road.
1876 Electoral roll, a Robert Sandes is living at Owen St, Grahamstown, ? Could he be connected to name of street.
YES YES YES Click here
SAWMILL ROAD Totara area N/A N/A YES Click here
SEALEY STREET (SEALY STREET) On 1860's map street is spelt SEALY, 1910's map it is SEALEY (as it is today). Location is unchanged. Named after a Government Official. (Ref 12) YES YES YES Click here
SHORT STREET A small street running off Broad Street, No longer in existence. NO YES NO N/A
SMART STREET On 1860's map, Smart Street Was South off Victoria Street, on East side of Grahams Park (present Dickson Park area) meeting an extension of Robert Street, near the end of the "old" Tararu Road. YES N/A NO N/A
SOPHY STREET A small street running off Keddell Street, no longer in existence. NO YES NO N/A
SPERRY LANE A lane at the back of Thames Hospital, to south off Bella Street/Karaka Creek Road. (Ref 6)     NO N/A
SPRINGWATER Located up the Kauaeranga Valley N/A N/A YES Click here
ST PATRICKS ROW On the early maps this street starts at Sandes Street and goes past Augustus Street, The Terrace and ends where it meets Hill Street. St Patricks Row today goes from Sandes Street, turns northwards into what would have been  the top of Augustus Street, ending above Karaka Road (not joining the road as early maps indicated) YES YES YES Click here
STIRLING STREET On 1860's map Stirling St was parallel to present Tararu Road (then Graham Street), to the West. It would appear that part of this street still exists and is called PRICES Avenue, running south off Robert Street. YES N/A NO N/A
TARARU CREEK ROAD The road on the north side of Tararu Creek does not exist on the 1860's map.Today it is there to the north of the Tararu Creek bridge, towards the East, off Tararu Road. NO N/A YES Click here
TARARU ROAD "Tararu Road - The exposed pubis of the lady of intoxicating fragrance - Te Tararua-O-Hinetekaraka or the great grief and anxiety of the two sisters Hine Kara and Hineoro upon losing their much beloved sea creature." (Ref 1.)
On 1860's map Tararu Road was to the East of its present position, and ran along the hillside. The present day Tararu Road was called GRAHAM Street.
YES YES YES Click here
TE ANA LANE Kauaeranga Valley area. N/A N/A YES Click here
TE ARAPIPI ROAD Totara area, road to Totara Cemetery. N/A N/A YES Click here
TERETIU DRIVE Part of a Sub-division at Totara. The Totara Palms Sub-divions 1st stage was completed in 2000. NO NO YES Click here
THAMES COAST ROAD 1875 Wises Street Directory map calls road COROMANDEL ROAD. N/A N/A YES Click here
THE BOOMS AVENUE Part of Booms Sub-division), Parawai. The BOOMS subdivision completed its 1st stage in 1992 (Ref 1) NO NO YES Click here
THE TERRACE North end of road varies on early maps. 1860's it ends at St Patricks Row and 1910's map it extends further, ending at Karaka Road. Today it ends above St Patricks Row (dead end). YES YES YES Click here
TOMMY'S LANE On the 1860's map, by 1910's the name of the street had changed to EDWARD Street, and remains that today; a narrow road running from Sealey Street (south) to Sandes Street (north end). YES NO NO N/A
TONY AVENUE Totara area (not included on old Thames Maps)  Named after Mr Tony Voykovich, one of the builders of the Kauaeranga tramway system (1920's); he had a large market garden at Totara. This area was later subdivided into the area now known as Totara Close. (Ref 11) N/A N/A YES Click here
TOTARA CLOSE Totara area (not included on old Thames Maps) (See Totara Avenue for further info) N/A N/A YES Click here
TOTARA VALLEY ROAD Totara area (not included on old Thames Maps) N/A N/A YES Click here
TUI PLACE "Tui Place - The tui bird." (Ref 1.)
The road didn't exist on early maps.
NO NO YES Click here
UNION STREET At Tararu, between GRAHAM St and TARARU Road, from Robert St intersect in the North to Tararu Road in the south. YES N/A NO N/A
UPPER ALBERT STREET Street doesn't exist on ealy maps, although is given as an address in early street directories. N/A N/A YES Click here
VANGUARD STREET Street doesn't exist on early maps.Many residents live at Bird-in-Hand Hill on early directories, this road above Bella Street would cover this area.(Ref 7) N/A N/A YES Click here
VERNON STREET On 1860's map the street is called COOK Street (and the present Cook street on the north side of the Hape Creek is unnamed), 1910's map,the name has changed to Vernon Street. "Mr W H Vernon leaves his mark in the form of Vernon Street, if for no other reason apart from the fact he lived there." He was first chairman of the old Parawai School. (Ref 12) NO YES YES Click here
VICTORIA STREET In the 1860's Victoria Street ran from the sea (West) across Stirling Street, Graham Street (now Tararu Road) and east to the hills, to the side of Tararu Creek. This last section is the Victoria street that remains today. YES N/A YES Click here
WAIKIEKIE ROAD "Waikiekie Road - The stream along which there was abundant stands of kiekie or weaving flax." (Ref 1.) N/A N/A YES Click here
WAIOKARAKA ROAD "Waiokaraka Road - The waters of the Karaka Tree." (Ref 1.)
Road marked on 1910's map, location same to present day.
NO NO YES Click here
WAIOTAHI ROAD "Waiotahi Road - The correct name is Wai-O-Tahe which means "the waters in which the menses were cleansed away." When young maidens were experiencing their first menstruation they were in a state of very strict tapu. A special whare was built where the waters from this stream were used to cleanse them, thus neutralising any ill effects." (Ref 1.)
The road shows on the 1910's map, same location as today.
NO YES YES Click here
WAIPAPA ROAD Totara area. N/A N/A YES Click here
WALTER STREET Street does not exist on 1860's map, but is on the 1910's map, position unchanged. NO YES YES Click here
WHITEHEAD WAY Part of Booms Sub-division), Parawai. The BOOMS subdivision completed its 1st stage in 1992 (Ref 1) N/A N/A YES Click here
WILLIAMSON STREET Position unchanged, although on 1860's map, the street finished at the sea, as Beach Road is not in existence/recorded. Named after The Superintendent of Auckland at that time, Mr John Williamson. (Ref 12) YES YES YES Click here
WILLOUGHBY STREET Position unchanged.
Named after Te Hoterini Taipari (Chief) who took the names Shortland and Willoughby when he was christened. (ref 9) (Te Hoterini and Wiropi Taipari gifted the land where the Thames Hospital was built)
YES YES YES Click here
WILSON STREET In 1860's Stirling Street ran through Wilson Street. Several early Wilson families in Thames, including John Wilson in 1886 Electoral roll, living at Tararu, occupation land agent. YES N/A YES Click here
             
BACKGROUND TO ABOVE INFO:
*I have used the maps indicated in the columns to identify streets and their location. Noting any changes over the years. Remember this is my interpretation, please check originals for confirmation.
*N/A in map column, These early maps didn't cover the outer areas of Thames, therefore some streets could not be verified.
*NB. All streets on 2009 map can be accessed via the yellow pages link below:
http://maps.yellowpages.co.nz/ypnz/THAMES-COROMANDEL%20DISTRICT/THAMES/0/
*Hopefully a wider range of maps can be located and used to identify when changes to street names and locations occurred.
NOTE * Re Moanataiari Reclamation (Ref 1)
"The Moanataiari reclamation was formed progressively from the turn of the century, initially by dumping mine tailings and mullock over intertidal flats. Dumping dredgings from the port further reclaimed the area, which was then capped with a raft of weathered rock and clay from the hills under more controlled conditions in the mid to late 1960s. Housing construction was generally underway in the 1970s. The end result was a ‘little Holland’ extending 500 m from the line of the coast into the sea." (TCDC Ref 1)
References:
1. Thames Coromandel District Council document which included street information
Thanks to: Christine Harrison, Land Information Officer, TCDC. http://www.tcdc.govt.nz
2. 2009 Street Map: Yellow Pages Map used as reference located at:
http://maps.yellowpages.co.nz/ypnz/THAMES-COROMANDEL%20DISTRICT/THAMES/0/
3. Maps available from Auckland Libraries: Map collection (enter map number, view thumbnail, then click on large view for full detail) at:
http://0-www.aucklandcity.govt.nz.www.elgar.govt.nz/dbtw-wpd/maps/mapsadv.html
Map a) Title: Plan of Grahamstown. The property of Robert Graham. Esq.
Clasification D, 995.1439 bje, Th 1869. NZ Map Number 4498-10
Map b) Title: Plan of township of Tararu. The property of R. Graham. Esq.
Clasification D, 995.1439 bje, Th ?1869. NZ Map Number 4498-11
Map c) Title:Cleave's streets Thames and suburbs : expressly compiled from official surveys for Cleav's directory.
Clasification 995.1439 gmbs, Th 1910's. NZ Map Number 3577
Map d) Title: Thames illustrated mining map.
Clasification E 995.143 gbc, 1860's. NZ Map Number 4531
Map e) Title: Map of the Karaka Block Thames Goldfields. W C Wilson 1869
Clasification D 995.149 gbc 1869. NZ Map Number 7021
4. Street Maps of Early Thames 1887-1892. Redrawn & reduced by W Fryer 1990.
Closed Reference Section, Thames Library, Thames.
5. The Hotels of Old Thames from "History of the River Thames"
A M Isdale, 1967.
6. Thames Map in "Local Directory Coromandel Peninsula 2008/09".
Telecom New Zealand
7. Transcriptions of Thames early street directories at http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~althea/Directories.html
By Althea Barker
8. "The Thames Journals of Vicesimus Lush 1868 - 82"
Edited by Alison Drummond. 1975,  Pegasus.
9. "Racing for Gold" by Johnny Williams
Wiliams Publishers Thames, 1987.
10. Bull's Battery Karaka Creek Thames Goldfield" by R Dreardon (Copy Thames Library arhives)
11.  Dave Wilton. Articles and research on Thames are on  The Treasury webpages: http://www.thetreasury.org.nz
12. "Thames: The First 100 Years" Editor R B Hayes, 1968
13. Information from Ian & Judy Vedder-Price, of Thames
14. Te Takoto O Te Whenua O Hauraki Hauraki Landmarks by Taimoana Turoa; Edited by Te Ahukaramu Charles Royal. Reed Publishers 2000
Other Maps (not yet checked) at Thames Library, Archives section:
Map 1: Thames Illustrated Mining Map: Published by E Wayte Publisher & Retail Stationer Bookseller Lithographer Engraver Printer &c Auckland
Map 2: Plan of the Township of Thames 1897: Compiled by Adams & Harding Civil & Mining Engineers
Map 6: Plan of Township of Tararu
Map 7: Map of Borough of Thames principal business area
Map 8: Maps of Thames, Puriri and Hastings Ridings
ZOOM IN Maps online for Thames