Minnigaff is not a Wigtownshire parish, but as virtually a part of Newton Stewart, and having been included with Wigtownshire for many purposes over several hundred years, this outlier of the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright is here described. The clachan or village with its church of Monigaff was a busy market by the 16th century, and the fall of the Cree and its Penkiln Burn tributary powered mills from maybe 1770, notably McKeand's Mill by Queen Mary's Brig, where blankets were made even through the 1920s.
The hills of the parish are studded with old mines for lead and copper, nickel and arsenic. Medieval mottes or fortifications are at Bardrochwood and Machars Hill, while William Wallace camped at Boreland to the north of the village, and the ruined Garlies Castle is in the Cumloden Deer Parks. Today the main highway crosses the river at Creebridge, and although this bank of the Cree for some miles past Creetown is now a part of the Wigtown District, we have not included the area in our resources.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids